Extra terms in the Action in Zee chapter 1.3?

• A
  • Thread starter looseleaf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Terms
In summary, the tau and sigma terms in the given expression are arbitrary coupling constants that originate from the self interaction energy V of the field ##\varphi## with itself. They are used to express the self interaction part of the arbitrary function V in a series of ##\varphi##. In the Sidney Coleman lectures, the operator on the right side is dropped when going from 3-momentum to 4-momentum in the equation ##e^{i P . x}\alpha(p)e^{-i P . x} = e^{-i p . x}\alpha(p)##.
looseleaf
Hi, could someone please explain where the tau and sigma terms come from in this expression:

Screen Shot 2019-09-20 at 10.47.53 PM.png

I see the kinetic energy and quadratic "mattress" potential terms, but the tau and sigma kinda come out of nowhere. Where are they from?

Physics news on Phys.org
These are just arbitrary coupling constants. They originate from the self interaction energy V of the field ##\varphi## with itself in equation (2). It is a way of expressing the self interaction part of the arbitrary function V in a series of ##\varphi##.

Last edited:
Likes looseleaf
Hans de Vries said:
These are just arbitrary coupling constants. They originate from the self interaction energy V of the field ##\varphi## with itself in equation (2). It is a way of expressing the self interaction part of the arbitrary function V in a series of ##\varphi##.

Thanks that makes sense.

I was wondering if anyone could address another question I had?
This one is from the Sidney Coleman lectures (2.72)

##e^{i P . x}\alpha(p)e^{-i P . x} = e^{-i p . x}\alpha(p)##

i'm confused why we drop the operator on the right side when we go from 3-momentum to 4-momentum?

Related to Extra terms in the Action in Zee chapter 1.3?

1. What are extra terms in the Action in Zee chapter 1.3?

Extra terms in the Action in Zee chapter 1.3 refer to additional mathematical expressions that are added to the original action in order to account for certain physical phenomena or to make the theory more accurate.

2. Why are extra terms added to the Action in Zee chapter 1.3?

Extra terms are added to the Action in Zee chapter 1.3 in order to account for interactions between different fields, to incorporate symmetries, or to make the theory more consistent with experimental observations.

3. How do extra terms affect the Action in Zee chapter 1.3?

Extra terms can change the dynamics of the fields in the theory, altering the equations of motion and the solutions to those equations. They can also introduce new physical effects or modify existing ones.

4. Can extra terms be derived from first principles?

In some cases, extra terms can be derived from first principles using mathematical techniques such as perturbation theory or symmetry arguments. However, in other cases, they may be added based on empirical evidence or theoretical considerations.

5. Are extra terms always necessary in the Action in Zee chapter 1.3?

No, extra terms are not always necessary in the Action in Zee chapter 1.3. In some cases, the original action may be sufficient to describe the physical system accurately. However, in many cases, extra terms are needed to fully capture the complexity of the system being studied.