Fabry Perot interferometer used as a filter

In summary, the Fabry Perot interferometer can be thought of as a sampling device operating on the incident light wave, with the peaks and valleys in its interference pattern representing the allowed and blocked frequencies. This is similar to the sampling theorem in signal processing.
DiracRules
Hi all!

I'm studying Fabry Perot optical interferometer (with monochromatic light without taking time into account so far) and as its first application we studied it can be used as a filter, letting pass only certain frequencies
[itex]\nu= \frac{mc}{2n_fd\cos(\theta_t)},\,\,m\in\mathcal{N}[/itex] where c is speed of light, [itex]n_f[/itex] is the refractive index of the dielectric, d is its width and [itex]\theta_t[/itex] is the transmission angle.

That said, I was wondering: since the plot of [itex](\nu,T_tot)[/itex] - Ttot being the total transmittance - reminds me the frequency spectrum of the sampling of a sinusoidal wave, can the interferometer be thought as a sampling device operating on the light wave?

I mean, since Fourier's transformation of the sampling of a sinusoidal wave is the repetition of Fourier's transformation of the wave, I thought that we can think backward: since we see the repetition of peaks, it can be the spectrum of the sampling (in time's domain) of the sinusoidal light wave.

I am wondering if it is craziness or if there is something not so foolish in my observation.
DR

Physics news on Phys.org
. SCIENTIST: Hello! Your observation is quite interesting and not at all foolish. In fact, what you have described is a common principle in signal processing known as the sampling theorem. This theorem states that if a continuous signal is sampled at a rate higher than twice its highest frequency component, then the original signal can be accurately reconstructed from the samples.

In the case of the Fabry Perot interferometer, the interference pattern created by the reflected and transmitted waves can be thought of as a sampling of the incident light wave. The peaks in the (\nu,T_tot) plot correspond to the frequencies that are allowed to pass through the interferometer, while the valleys correspond to the frequencies that are blocked.

In this way, the Fabry Perot interferometer acts as a filter, allowing only certain frequencies to pass through. This is similar to how a digital signal processing system samples and filters a signal to extract specific frequencies.

So, your observation is not at all craziness, but a valid application of the sampling theorem in the context of optical interferometry. Keep exploring and making connections between different fields of science, as it can lead to new and exciting discoveries!

Related to Fabry Perot interferometer used as a filter

1. What is a Fabry-Perot interferometer?

A Fabry-Perot interferometer is an optical instrument that uses the principle of interference to measure the wavelength and intensity of light. It consists of two parallel, highly reflective surfaces, between which multiple reflections occur, creating an interference pattern.

2. How does a Fabry-Perot interferometer function as a filter?

A Fabry-Perot interferometer can function as a filter by selectively transmitting certain wavelengths of light while blocking others. This is achieved by adjusting the spacing between the two reflective surfaces, which causes certain wavelengths to constructively interfere and pass through the filter, while others are destructively interfered and are blocked.

3. What type of light can a Fabry-Perot interferometer filter be used for?

A Fabry-Perot interferometer filter can be used for a wide range of light, including visible, ultraviolet, and infrared wavelengths. It is commonly used in telecommunications, astronomy, and spectroscopy applications.

4. What are the advantages of using a Fabry-Perot interferometer as a filter?

The advantages of using a Fabry-Perot interferometer as a filter include high precision and accuracy in wavelength selection, a narrow bandwidth, and the ability to pass high-intensity light without distortion. It also allows for easy tuning and adjustment of the selected wavelength.

5. What are some common applications of a Fabry-Perot interferometer filter?

Fabry-Perot interferometer filters have a wide range of applications, including in telecommunications for signal filtering and dispersion compensation, in spectroscopy for measuring atomic and molecular spectra, and in astronomy for filtering out unwanted background noise in telescopes. They are also used in laser cavities and as tunable optical filters in various scientific experiments.