Find Counterexample for Expression about Limit of Composition Function

In summary: Your statement holds true if modified as follows:Let U be an open subset of $\mathbb{R}^{p}$, and g: U $\to \mathbb{R}^{m}$ and g is continuous at point $L \in U$and let A be an open subet of $\mathbb{R}^{w}$, and h: A - {a} $ \to U$.and assume $lim_{x \to a} h(x) = L$, and $lim_{y \to L} g(y) = M$, then it certainly holds that $lim_{x \to a} g(h(x)) = M$.In summary
i_a_n
Suppose that $U$ is open in $\mathbb{R}^{m}$, that $L\in U$ and that $h:U\setminus \left \{ L \right \}\rightarrow \mathbb{R}^{p}$ for some $p\in N$. If $L=\lim_{x\rightarrow a}g(x)$ and $M=\lim_{y\rightarrow L}h(y)$. Then
$\lim_{x\rightarrow a}(h\circ g)(x)=M$.

(Someone told me that this statement is false and should replace "$U\setminus \left \{ L \right \}$" with "$U$", and “$M=\lim_{y\rightarrow L}h(y)$. Then”
with “$h$ is continuous at $L$, then”.)So can you give me a counterexample of the original statement? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the domain and range of g(x)?

jakncoke said:
What is the domain and range of g(x)?

Let $a\in \mathbb{R}^{n}$, let $V$ be an open set which contains $a$, and suppose that $g: \ V\setminus a\rightarrow \mathbb{R}^{m}$.

Last edited:
ianchenmu said:
Let $a\in \mathbb{R}^{n}$, let $V$ be an open set which contains $a$, and suppose that $f: \ V\setminus a\rightarrow \mathbb{R}^{m}$.
The domain of h is U \ L, so can i assume that $\mathbb{R}^{m}$ was a typo and $f: \ V\setminus a\rightarrow$ U \ L ?

jakncoke said:
The domain of h is U \ L, so can i assume that $\mathbb{R}^{m}$ was a typo and $f: \ V\setminus a\rightarrow$ U \ L ?
I'm sorry, it's $g$.

Let $a\in \mathbb{R}^{n}$, let $V$ be an open set which contains $a$, and suppose that $g: \ V\setminus a\rightarrow \mathbb{R}^{m}$.

First of all the continuity is a must, for if

$
f(x) = \begin{array}{cc} \{ & \begin{array}{cc} -1 & x < 0 \\ 1 & x \geq 0 \end{array} \end{array} $

then $lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{1}{n} \to 1$ and $lim_{n \to \infty} - \frac{1}{n} \to -1$ ($n \in \mathbb{N}$)
f(x) is not continuous at x = 0.

so if you evaluate f(g(x)), $g(x) \in dom(F) $, then if $lim_{x \to a} g(x) \to 0$, then
$lim_{x \to a} f(g(x))$ could be either -1 or 1 (Depending on from which point (left or right) g(x) is heading towards a).

Which brings me to my next point, to verify continuity at a point $a$, you have to be able to evaluate it, namely it should be in the domain of f. if you remove it from the domain of f, like when you said $U-\{L\}$, then f(g(x)) $lim_{x \to a} f(g(x))$ g(x) is heading towards an undefined point, since $g(x) \to L$, how could you check continuity at an undefined point? Namely the definition of continuity is (f is continuous at a point a in its domain) if $lim_{x \to a} f(x) = f(a)$, where x can approach from any direction. if f(L) is not defined then how can we check continuity?

Your statement holds true if modified as follows
Let U be an open subset of $\mathbb{R}^{p}$, and g: U $\to \mathbb{R}^{m}$ and g is continuous at point $L \in U$
and let A be an open subet of $\mathbb{R}^{w}$, and h: A - {a} $ \to U$.
and assume $lim_{x \to a} h(x) = L$, and $lim_{y \to L} g(y) = M$, then it certainly holds that $lim_{x \to a} g(h(x)) = M$.

I also probably need to add the fact that a is not an isolated point of open set A. (can you tell me why?)

Last edited:

Related to Find Counterexample for Expression about Limit of Composition Function

1. What is a counterexample for an expression about the limit of a composition function?

A counterexample for an expression about the limit of a composition function is a specific example that shows the expression to be false. In other words, it is a specific input or scenario where the expression does not hold true.

2. Why is it important to find a counterexample for an expression about the limit of a composition function?

Finding a counterexample is important because it helps to identify the limitations of a given expression. It also allows for further refinement and improvement of the expression.

3. How can one go about finding a counterexample for an expression about the limit of a composition function?

To find a counterexample, one can start by identifying the variables and parameters involved in the expression. Then, specific values can be assigned to these variables and the expression can be evaluated to see if it holds true. If it does not, that specific combination of values can serve as a counterexample.

4. Can a counterexample disprove an expression about the limit of a composition function?

Yes, a counterexample can disprove an expression about the limit of a composition function. If the counterexample shows that the expression does not hold true in a specific scenario, then the expression is not universally true and must be refined or adjusted.

5. Are there any limitations to using counterexamples to disprove expressions about the limit of a composition function?

While counterexamples can be useful in identifying limitations of an expression, they may not always be definitive proof. It is possible that there may be other scenarios where the expression holds true, so it is important to use counterexamples as a starting point for further analysis and refinement of the expression.