What Is the Correct Form of a Holomorphic Function on \(\mathbb{C}-\{0\}\)?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Dustinsfl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, a holomorphic function is a complex-valued function that is differentiable at every point in its domain. To find a holomorphic function, one must solve the Cauchy-Riemann equations, which are a set of partial differential equations. Common methods for finding holomorphic functions include using the Cauchy-Riemann equations, the Cauchy integral formula, and power series representation. The domain of a holomorphic function must be an open set in the complex plane, and real-life applications include fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, signal processing, and economics.
Dustinsfl
On $U=\mathbb{C}-\{0\}$, find a holomorphic function $f=u+iv$.
$$
u(x,y) = \frac{y}{x^2+y^2}
$$

u is harmonic on U

Let g be a primitive for f on U.

write $g=\varphi +i\psi$.

Then $\varphi_x = u$.

$$
\varphi_{xy} = \psi_{xy} = \frac{x^2-y^2}{(x^2+y^2)^2}
$$

So I can integrate the above with respect to x and find a function with the constant of integration being some h(y).

Then I would have v and I would have found my function f correct?

So I found $f$ to be
$$
f(z) = u + iv = \frac{y}{x^2 + y^2} + i\left[\frac{x}{x^2 + y^2} + h(y)\right].$$

Correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
dwsmith said:
On $U=\mathbb{C}-\{0\}$, find a holomorphic function $f=u+iv$.
$$
u(x,y) = \frac{y}{x^2+y^2}
$$

u is harmonic on U

Let g be a primitive for f on U.

write $g=\varphi +i\psi$.

Then $\varphi_x = u$.

$$
\varphi_{xy} = \psi_{xy} = \frac{x^2-y^2}{(x^2+y^2)^2}
$$

So I can integrate the above with respect to x and find a function with the constant of integration being some h(y).

Then I would have v and I would have found my function f correct?

So I found $f$ to be
$$
f(z) = u + iv = \frac{y}{x^2 + y^2} + i\left[\frac{x}{x^2 + y^2} + h(y)\right].$$

Correct?
That is correct as far as it goes, but it would look a lot better if you pushed it a bit further. For a start, you are only asked for a holomorphic function $f$, not for all such functions. So you can ditch the term $ih(y)$ as being unnecessary.

next, you should try to simplify the terms that are left, and to express the answer by giving $f$ as a function of $z = x+iy$. In fact, $u+iv = \dfrac{y+ix}{x^2+y^2}$, and you can factorise the denominator as $(y+ix)(y-ix).$ Since $y-ix = -i(x+iy) = -iz$, that gives you a simple formula for $f(z)$ in terms of $z$ alone.

Yes, your solution for $f$ is correct. You have correctly found the real and imaginary parts of $f$ by using the Cauchy-Riemann equations and integrating with respect to $x$. Your final form for $f$ is also correct, as you have found a primitive for $f$ on $U$. Good job!

Related to What Is the Correct Form of a Holomorphic Function on \(\mathbb{C}-\{0\}\)?

1. What is a holomorphic function?

A holomorphic function is a complex-valued function that is differentiable at every point in its domain. It is also known as an analytic function and has many properties such as being infinitely differentiable and having a power series representation.

2. How do you find a holomorphic function?

To find a holomorphic function, you need to solve the Cauchy-Riemann equations, which are a set of partial differential equations that determine the conditions for a function to be holomorphic. These equations involve the real and imaginary parts of the function, and once they are satisfied, the function is considered holomorphic.

3. What are some common methods for finding holomorphic functions?

Some common methods for finding holomorphic functions include using the Cauchy-Riemann equations, using the Cauchy integral formula, and using the power series representation of a holomorphic function. Other methods may involve using transformations or conformal mappings to map a simpler function to a holomorphic one.

4. Are there any restrictions on the domain of a holomorphic function?

Yes, there are restrictions on the domain of a holomorphic function. It must be an open set in the complex plane, meaning that it does not include its boundary points. This is because the Cauchy-Riemann equations only hold for points that are interior to the domain.

5. What are some real-life applications of holomorphic functions?

Holomorphic functions have many applications in science and engineering, especially in fields such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. They are also used in signal processing and image reconstruction, as well as in finance and economics for modeling complex systems.