Find Laplace Transform of $ t^2+1)^2 $ without Expansion

In summary, The Laplace Transform is a mathematical tool used to solve differential equations and analyze systems in engineering, physics, and other scientific fields. The Laplace Transform of (t^2+1)^2 can be calculated using the formula for the Laplace Transform of a power function, along with the properties of linearity, time-shifting, and differentiation, without the need for expanding the expression. Other methods such as partial fraction decomposition, integration by parts, or the convolution theorem can also be used to calculate the Laplace Transform of (t^2+1)^2.
nacho-man
How do you find the laplace transform of this without expanding it?

$ L(t^2+1)^2 $

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
nacho said:

$ L(t^2+1)^2 $

You can use the fact that for n positive integer is...

$\displaystyle \int_{0}^{\infty} t^{n}\ e^{- s\ t}\ dt = \frac{n!}{s^{n+1}}\ (1)$ ... expanding $\displaystyle (1 + t^{2})^{2}$ in powers of t... Kind regards $\chi$ $\sigma$

I didn't realize immediately that it was requested 'without expanding' ... very sorry!...

nacho said:

$ L(t^2+1)^2 $

The possible solution is the use of a 'forgotten formula' ['forgotten' in the sense that it is neglected from most of the Complex Analysis 'Holybooks'...] according to which if You have two L-transformable functions $f_{1}(t)$ and $f_{2} (t)$ with L-transforms $F_{1} (s)$ and $F_{2} (s)$ and abscissas of convergence $\sigma_{1}$ and $\sigma_{2}$, then the L-transform of the product is given by the integral... $\displaystyle \mathcal {L} \{f_{1}(t)\ f_{2}(t)\} = \frac{1}{2\ \pi\ i}\ \int_{\gamma - i\ \infty}^{\gamma + i\ \infty} F_{1} (z)\ F_{2}(s - z)\ dz\ (1)$

... where $\displaystyle \sigma_{1} < \gamma < \sigma - \sigma_{2},\ \sigma> \sigma_{1} + \sigma_{2}$. In Your case is $\displaystyle f_{1}(t) = f_{2} (t) = 1 + t^{2} \implies F_{1}(s) = F_{2}(s) = \frac{1}{s} + \frac{2}{s^{3}},\ \sigma_{1}=\sigma_{2}=0$. May be it exists a more comfortable way but till now I didnn't succed to find it!(Emo)...Kind regards $\chi$ $\sigma$

nacho said:

$ L(t^2+1)^2 $

To compute this without expanding requires a little trick (especially if you're allowed to do this without using the integral definition of $\mathcal{L}\{f(t)\}$).

Let $f(t) = (t^2+1)^2$. We note that $f(0)=1$.

Thus, $f^{\prime}(t) = 4t(t^2+1)$ and hence $f^{\prime}(0) = 0$.

Finally, we see that $f^{\prime\prime}(t) = 4(t^2+1) + 8t^2 = 12t^2+4$.

Why did we compute all these derivatives? Well, we know that $\mathcal{L}\{f^{\prime\prime}(t)\} = s^2F(s) - sf(0) - f^{\prime}(0)$, which in our case would be $\mathcal{L}\{f^{\prime\prime}(t)\}=s^2F(s)-s$.

Therefore,

\[\mathcal{L}\{12t^2+4\} = \mathcal{L}\{f^{\prime\prime}(t)\} = s^2F(s)-s\]

We now compute the appropriate Laplace transforms and solve for $F(s)$:

\[s^2F(s) - s = \mathcal{L}\{12t^2+4\} = 12\cdot\frac{2!}{s^3}+4\cdot\frac{1}{s}=\frac{24}{s^3}+\frac{4}{s} \implies F(s) = \frac{24}{s^5} + \frac{4}{s^3}+\frac{1}{s}\]

Therefore, $\mathcal{L}\{(t^2+1)^2\} = \dfrac{24}{s^5}+\dfrac{4}{s^3}+\dfrac{1}{s}$.

I hope this makes sense!

Question for the OP. Why would you want to compute this transform without expanding? I mean expanding would be the easiest approach.

BTW - Nice work Chris!

Following Chris's lead, you could keep going
\begin{align}
f(t) &= (t^2+1)^2,\;\;\; &f(0)&=1\\
f'(t) &= 4t(t^2+1)\;\;\; &f'(0)&=0\\
f''(t) &=4(t^2+1) + 8t^2,\;\;\;&f''(0)&=4\\
f'''(t) &= 8t + 16t,\;\;\;&f'''(0)&=0\\
f^{(4)}(t)&=24,\;\;\;&f^{(4)}(0)&=24\\
f^{(5)}(t)& = 0,
\end{align}

Then

$\mathcal{L}\{f^{(5)}(t)\} = s^5F(s) - f(0) s^4 - f'(0) s^3 - f''(0) s^2 - f'''(0) s - f^{(4)}(0) = 0.$

Substitute $f$ and its derivative at zero and solve for $F$ (same answer)

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses.

@Jester, really no other reason than for the sake of it. I've just started to learn laplace transforms and am finding a little out of the box thinking helps a lot.

Last edited:

Related to Find Laplace Transform of $ t^2+1)^2 $ without Expansion

What is the Laplace Transform of t^2+1)^2?

The Laplace Transform of (t^2+1)^2 is (2s^3+4s^2+2s+2)/(s^5).

What is the purpose of finding the Laplace Transform of a function?

The Laplace Transform is a mathematical tool used to solve differential equations and analyze systems in engineering, physics, and other scientific fields.

How is the Laplace Transform of t^2+1)^2 calculated without expansion?

The Laplace Transform of (t^2+1)^2 can be calculated using the formula for the Laplace Transform of a power function, along with the properties of the Laplace Transform, without the need for expanding the expression.

What are the properties of the Laplace Transform that are used in finding the transform of t^2+1)^2?

The properties of linearity, time-shifting, and differentiation are used in finding the Laplace Transform of (t^2+1)^2 without expansion.

Can the Laplace Transform of t^2+1)^2 be calculated using other methods?

Yes, the Laplace Transform of (t^2+1)^2 can also be calculated using partial fraction decomposition, integration by parts, or the convolution theorem.