Find Magnittude of the Force Supported by the bearing O

In summary, the magnitude R of the force supported by the bearing O for the applied 3.5-kN load is 7.644 kN. This is calculated by finding the angle between the positive x-axis and the cable, calculating the tension in the cable, and then solving for the forces in the x and y directions at point O. The correct angle is found to be 27.138 degrees, resulting in a magnitude of 7.644 kN for the force supported by the bearing.
Northbysouth
The two light pulleys are fastened together and form an integral unit. They are prevented from turning about their bearing at O by a cable wound securely around the smaller pulley and fastened to point A. Calculate the magnitude R of the force supported by the bearing O for the applied 3.5-kN load.

I have attached an image of the problem.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

ƩMO = 0
ƩFx =0
ƩFy =0

The Attempt at a Solution

First I found the angle between the positive x-axis and the cable (AB)

θ = arctan(130/285)
θ = 24.5196°

Then I found the moment about point to calculate the tension (T) in the cable
ƩMO = 0
0 = (3.5 kN)(200mm) -(130mm)T
T = 5.3846 kN

Then, knowing that the pivot point, O, has a force in the x direction (Rx) and a force in the y direction (Ry) I calculated these:

ƩFx= 0
0 = -Rx + Tcos(24.5196)
Rx = 4.899 kN

ƩFy = 0
0 = -3.5 kN + Ry -Tsin(24.5196)
Ry = 5.7305 kN

Thus the magnitude R is:

R = sqrt((4.899 kN)^2 +(5.7305 kN)^2)
R = 7.53914 kN

It says my answer is wrong and I can't see where my mistake is. Help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• fastened pulleys R.png
    fastened pulleys R.png
    22.7 KB · Views: 1,598
Physics news on Phys.org
It's a significant figure error...too many places after the decimal point...try 7.5 kN

7.5 kN didn't work either. I forget to include this in the image but the system has a tolerance to +/- 1 to the third significant digit.

I found my mistake, the angle that I calculated using arctan(130/285) was wrong. It should have been arcsin(130/285) because 285mm is no the longest length of the triangle.

arcsin(130/285) = 27.138

Substituting 27.138 into my calculations I get fx = 4.7918kN and fy= 5.9561kN

Taking the magnitude of these gives me a resultant of 7.644 kN which is the correct answer.

Sorry, how did I miss that??

Related to Find Magnittude of the Force Supported by the bearing O

1. What is the purpose of finding the magnitude of the force supported by the bearing O?

The magnitude of the force supported by the bearing O is important because it helps determine the load capacity of the bearing and whether it is suitable for the specific application and environment.

2. How is the magnitude of the force supported by the bearing O calculated?

The magnitude of the force supported by the bearing O can be calculated using the formula F = μN, where F is the force, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force acting on the bearing.

3. What factors can affect the magnitude of the force supported by the bearing O?

The magnitude of the force supported by the bearing O can be affected by factors such as the type of bearing, the material and surface finish of the bearing, the speed and direction of the load, and the lubrication of the bearing.

4. How does the magnitude of the force supported by the bearing O impact the overall performance of the bearing?

The magnitude of the force supported by the bearing O directly affects the load capacity and efficiency of the bearing. If the force exceeds the bearing's capacity, it can lead to premature failure and reduce the overall performance of the bearing.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when determining the magnitude of the force supported by the bearing O?

Yes, it is important to consider the safety precautions when determining the magnitude of the force supported by the bearing O. This includes ensuring that the bearing is properly installed and maintained, using appropriate lubrication, and regularly checking for any signs of wear or damage.