Finding beta for the boltzman distribution.

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the Boltzmann distribution using Lagrange multipliers and proves that the probability of a state is equal to the exponential of its energy divided by a normalization factor. It then goes on to question how this relates to the definition of temperature and suggests using a monatomic ideal gas to derive the mean energy and compare it to the temperature. The conversation also mentions Leonard Susskind's lecture on statistical mechanics as a potential resource for understanding the derivation.
center o bass
Hello! I'm trying to do a satisfactory derivation of the Boltzmann distribution. By using lagrange multipliers I've come as far as to prove that

[tex]P(i) = \frac{1}{Z} e^{-\beta E(i)}[/tex]
where
[tex]Z = \sum_i e^{-\beta E(i)},[/tex]

but how does one actually establish that
[tex]\beta = 1/kT?[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Take a monatomic ideal gas and derive the mean energy,

[tex]U=-\frac{\partial \ln Z}{\partial \beta}[/tex]

and compare with the definition of the temperature,

[tex]U=\frac{3}{2} N k T.[/tex]

I think that Leonard Susskind does this derivation in one of his lectures on statistical mechanics that is available on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1Zbp6__uNw"

Last edited by a moderator:
Take a monatomic ideal gas and derive the mean energy
Ah, yes that is certainly a way to go. But how could that result possibly be general? Doesn't the distribution apply to any combination of systems who shares a total energy E and a number of particles N?

Hello! It's great that you are working on deriving the Boltzmann distribution. The Boltzmann distribution is a fundamental concept in statistical mechanics and plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of systems at the microscopic level.

To establish that \beta = 1/kT, we need to consider the thermodynamic definition of temperature. Temperature is defined as the measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a system. In statistical mechanics, this is related to the average energy of the system, which is given by the Hamiltonian H.

In the Boltzmann distribution, we have P(i) = \frac{1}{Z} e^{-\beta E(i)}, where P(i) is the probability of a particle being in a specific state i with energy E(i), and Z is the partition function.

To find the average energy of the system, we need to take the sum over all states i, weighted by their respective energies:

<H> = \sum_i P(i) E(i) = \frac{1}{Z} \sum_i e^{-\beta E(i)} E(i)

Using the definition of Z, we can rewrite this as:

<H> = \frac{1}{Z} \sum_i e^{-\beta E(i)} E(i) = \frac{1}{Z} \frac{\partial}{\partial \beta} \sum_i e^{-\beta E(i)} = -\frac{\partial}{\partial \beta} \ln Z

Now, using the definition of temperature as \frac{1}{kT} = \frac{\partial}{\partial \beta} \ln Z, we can rewrite this as:

<H> = -kT \frac{\partial}{\partial \beta} \ln Z

Comparing this with the definition of average energy in thermodynamics, <H> = kT, we can conclude that \beta = 1/kT.

I hope this helps in establishing the relationship between \beta and temperature in the Boltzmann distribution. Keep up the good work!

Related to Finding beta for the boltzman distribution.

What is the Boltzmann distribution and why is it important in science?

The Boltzmann distribution is a probability distribution that describes the distribution of particles in a system at thermal equilibrium. It is important in science because it helps us understand the behavior of particles in various systems, such as gases, liquids, and solids.

How is beta related to the Boltzmann distribution?

Beta (β) is a constant that is used in the Boltzmann distribution equation to calculate the probability of a particle being in a certain energy state. It is inversely proportional to the temperature of the system.

What is the significance of finding the beta value for a system?

Finding the beta value allows us to calculate the probability of a particle being in a specific energy state in a system. This information is crucial in understanding the behavior and properties of the system.

How do scientists determine the beta value for a system?

The beta value can be determined experimentally by measuring the temperature and the number of particles in different energy states in a system. It can also be calculated using mathematical models and simulations.

Can the beta value change in a system?

Yes, the beta value can change in a system if the temperature or the number of particles in different energy states changes. It is a dynamic value that is dependent on the conditions of the system.