Finding moment of inertia of irregular object with calculus?

In summary, the conversation discusses using calculus to find the moment of inertia for an irregular object, specifically a propeller. One approach is to use a 3D modelling program to construct the propeller and gather precise measurements. The conversation also mentions using density and volume to deduce the mass of the propeller. There is some confusion about how to write the density of an object as a function of its radius, with some sources using ρ(r) while others use ∫ r^2dm. The conversation concludes with a discussion on the use of vectors in the calculation and the difficulty of finding a simple function to describe a complex shape.
cmkluza
For a mathematics project I'm trying to figure out the moment of inertia for a propeller. I'm told that it is possible to find the moment of inertia of irregular objects through calculus, so I'm determined to figure it out using calculus.

I plan on using a 3D modelling program (since I don't have actual propellers at the moment) to construct a propeller, or just using a 3D model of a propeller, so I can get exact measurements of it. I can also use density (found on the Internet) and volume to deduce the mass. I figure I can separate a propeller into an idealized, hollow, cylindrical center (easy to calculate) and the blades.

So, where do I start? I've seen some mathematics on Wolfram, but I'm not following it. Wolfram shows a function ρ(r) as the density of the object, but it doesn't show where ρ(r) comes from; how would I write the density of an object as a function of its radius? Others show it more simply as [itex] I = \int r^2dm [/itex]. What should I use, and how should I go about collecting the input data for whatever method I use? Also, I understand where the second function I mention comes from, but if I were to use something like the Wolfram function, could anyone tell me where it comes from, or how it is deduced?

Thanks for any help!

Edit: Missing info/formatting

Physics news on Phys.org
Wolfram is is using the convention that vectors are written in boldface (and the magnitude of the vector is written in ordinary italics). Thus, the function ##\rho(\mathbf{r})## is the density at the point identified by the vector ##\vec{r}## - it will be a constant if the density is uniform.

The ##\mathbb{d}m## form is just a different way of writing the same thing, because ##\mathbb{d}m=\rho(\mathbf{r})\mathbb{d}V## - either way, it's the mass in the infinitesimal volume located at ##\vec{r}##.

Nugatory said:
Wolfram is is using the convention that vectors are written in boldface (and the magnitude of the vector is written in ordinary italics). Thus, the function ##\rho(\mathbf{r})## is the density at the point identified by the vector ##\vec{r}## - it will be a constant if the density is uniform.

The ##\mathbb{d}m## form is just a different way of writing the same thing, because ##\mathbb{d}m=\rho(\mathbf{r})\mathbb{d}V## - either way, it's the mass in the infinitesimal volume located at ##\vec{r}##.
So, is the function that includes vectors including all vectors from the axis of rotation to the point that they signify? I still don't quite understand it. Could you give me an example of it used in a simple situation? How could I go about using that to calculate the moment of inertia for a propeller, or other such irregular object?

Thanks!

cmkluza said:
So, is the function that includes vectors including all vectors from the axis of rotation to the point that they signify? I still don't quite understand it. Could you give me an example of it used in a simple situation? How could I go about using that to calculate the moment of inertia for a propeller, or other such irregular object?
A simple example: ##\rho(\mathbf{r})=\alpha\frac{R-r}{R}## for for all vectors ##\vec{r}## such that ##r<R## and zero everywhere else describes a ball of radius ##R## whose density decreases linearly from ##\alpha## at the center to zero at the surface. To calculate the moment of inertia of that ball you'd integrate ##r^2\mathbf{d}M=r^2\rho(\mathbf{r})\mathbf{d}V = r^2\alpha\frac{R-r}{R}\mathbf{d}V## across the entire volume of the ball.

The problem you'll have will be finding a simple and easily integrated function that describes a complicated shape you've put together with 3D modelling software. Often engineers working with real objects have to resort to numerical integration (hopefully with some support from the software).

Last edited:

Related to Finding moment of inertia of irregular object with calculus?

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a physical quantity that describes an object's resistance to rotational motion. It is a measure of how much an object's mass is spread out from its axis of rotation.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated for an irregular object?

To calculate the moment of inertia for an irregular object, we use calculus. Specifically, we use the integral of the mass distribution of the object multiplied by the square of the distance from the axis of rotation.

3. What is the formula for finding moment of inertia using calculus?

The formula for finding moment of inertia using calculus is I = ∫r²dm, where I is the moment of inertia, r is the distance from the axis of rotation, and dm is the differential mass element.

4. Can moment of inertia be negative?

No, moment of inertia cannot be negative. It is always a positive value since it is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion.

5. How does the shape of an object affect its moment of inertia?

The shape of an object has a significant impact on its moment of inertia. Objects with a larger mass distribution away from the axis of rotation have a higher moment of inertia, while objects with a smaller mass distribution have a lower moment of inertia.