Finding the Conjugate Function of u for f to be Analytic

In summary, u = 2x(1 - y) and v = 2y - y^2 + x^2 are the real and imaginary parts of the analytic function 2z+iz^2, making them the conjugate function of each other. Adding a constant of integration to the expression for v results in the function 2z+i(z^2 + C).
Dustinsfl
\(u = 2x(1 - y)\) I want to find v such that \(f = u +iv\) is analytic. The hint is find the conjugate function of u.

I am not sure if what I did was finding the conjugate function of u thoug.
\[
u_x = 2(1 - y) = v_y
\]
so
\[
v = 2y - y^2 + g(x) \Rightarrow v_x = g'(x)
\]
and
\[
u_y = -2x = -g'(x)\Rightarrow g(x) = x^2
\]
Therefore, \(v = 2y - y^2 + x^2\) which makes f analytic. Is that v the conjugate function of u?

Physics news on Phys.org
dwsmith said:
\(u = 2x(1 - y)\) I want to find v such that \(f = u +iv\) is analytic. The hint is find the conjugate function of u.

I am not sure if what I did was finding the conjugate function of u thoug.
\[
u_x = 2(1 - y) = v_y
\]
so
\[
v = 2y - y^2 + g(x) \Rightarrow v_x = g'(x)
\]
and
\[
u_y = -2x = -g'(x)\Rightarrow g(x) = x^2
\]
Therefore, \(v = 2y - y^2 + x^2\) which makes f analytic. Is that v the conjugate function of u?

What you have is right, but I have one minor comment to make. At the last step, you have $u_y = -2x = -g'(x)\Rightarrow g(x) = x^2$. When you solve for $g$, you should have $g(x) = x^2 + C$, where $C$ is an arbitrary constant. But then you can choose $C = 0$, giving the particular conjugate function $v = 2y - y^2 + x^2$.

I have another minor comment to make. In a problem like this, a good way to check whether your answer is correct is to see whether $u+iv$ can be expressed as a (differentiable) function of $z=x+iy$.

In this case, you started with $u = 2x(1-y)$ and you found that $v = 2y - y^2 + x^2$. Then $$\begin{aligned} u+iv &= (2x - 2xy) + i(2y - y^2 + x^2) \\ &= 2(x+iy) + i(x^2 - y^2 + 2ixy) \\ &= 2z + iz^2.\end{aligned}$$ So $u$ and $v$ are the real and imaginary parts of the analytic function $2z+iz^2$.

As Euge has pointed out, you should really add a constant of integration to the expression for $v$, and the analytic function of $z$ will then be $2z+i(z^2 + C),$ where $C$ is a real constant.

Related to Finding the Conjugate Function of u for f to be Analytic

1. What is the definition of the conjugate function of u?

The conjugate function of u is a mathematical concept used in the field of complex analysis. It is defined as the function that maps a complex number to its complex conjugate, where the imaginary part of the number is multiplied by -1.

2. How is the conjugate function of u related to the original function?

The conjugate function of u is closely related to the original function, as it is obtained by reflecting the original function across the real axis. This means that the values of the conjugate function will be the same as the original function for all real numbers, but will have opposite signs for the imaginary parts of complex numbers.

3. What are the main properties of the conjugate function of u?

The conjugate function of u has several key properties, including: it is an involution, meaning that applying it twice will return the original function; it preserves addition and multiplication, meaning that the conjugate of a sum is equal to the sum of the conjugates, and the conjugate of a product is equal to the product of the conjugates; and it is continuous and differentiable, except at points where the original function is not differentiable.

4. How is the conjugate function of u used in applications?

The conjugate function of u has many practical applications, particularly in the fields of physics and engineering. It is used to solve problems involving complex numbers, such as in electrical circuits, signal processing, and quantum mechanics. It is also useful in solving differential equations and in the study of analytic functions.

5. Are there any other functions related to the conjugate function of u?

Yes, there are several other related functions, including the real part and imaginary part functions, which extract the real and imaginary components of a complex number respectively. There is also the modulus function, which gives the distance of a complex number from the origin. These functions are useful in understanding the behavior of the conjugate function of u and other complex functions.