First Weyl Algebras .... A_1 ....

• I
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Weyl
In summary, Bresar's remarks on Weyl Algebras discuss the commutator ##[D,L]=I## and its interpretation as a composition of operators. This is differentiated with the product rule and involves the operators ##D## and ##L##, which stand for derivation and left-multiplication, respectively. The product here is #2, which is the successive application of operators. The interpretation of ##DL## as not a product but a composition is important to take into account when understanding the commutator.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Matej Bresar's book, "Introduction to Noncommutative Algebra" and am currently focussed on Chapter 1: Finite Dimensional Division Algebras ... ...

I need help with some remarks of Bresar on first Weyl Algebras ...

Bresar's remarks on Weyl Algebras are as follows:
?temp_hash=509e38ac20c62b45d30f637569fa41c6.png

?temp_hash=509e38ac20c62b45d30f637569fa41c6.png
In the above text from Bresar we read the following: (see (1.4) above)

" ... ... It is straightforward to check that

##[D, L] = I##

the identity operator ..."Can someone please explain exactly why/how ##[D, L] = I## ... ... ?

(It looks more like ##[D, L] = 0## to me?)Help will be appreciated ...

Peter

Attachments

• Bresar - 1 - Weyl Algebra A_1 - Part 1 ... ....png
    Bresar - 1 - Weyl Algebra A_1 - Part 1 ... ....png
    37.2 KB · Views: 744
  • Bresar - 2 - Weyl Algebra A_1 - Part 2 ... ....png
    Bresar - 2 - Weyl Algebra A_1 - Part 2 ... ....png
    59.8 KB · Views: 714
Physics news on Phys.org
Apply the commutator ##[D,L]=DL-LD## to a test function ##f(\omega)##. What do you get for ##(DL)f(\omega)## and ##(LD)f(\omega)##?

Likes Math Amateur
You have to take the product rule of differentiation into account for ##D(L(f))##.

Likes Math Amateur
Thanks for the help eys_physics and fresh_42 ... got the idea now ...

Just needed the interpretation of DL as not a product but a composition of functions/operators ...which you provided ...

By the way ... found it difficult to get a clear and consistent definition of "operator" from my various texts ...

Thanks again,

Peter

Math Amateur said:
... the interpretation of DL as not a product but a composition of functions/operators ...
... which is the product here. In case we deal with operators, the usual product is the matrix multiplication, resp. applying one operator after the other: ##(A\circ B)(v)=A(B(v))##. The successive application ##"\circ"## is usually written as a dot or left out. But it's right that one has to be careful, because for usual functions, say ##f,g : \mathbb{R} \rightarrow \mathbb{R}##, we have two (or three if you like) different multiplications:
  1. ##(f \cdot g) (x) = f(x) \cdot g(x)##
  2. ##(f \circ g) (x) = f(g(x))##
  3. and of course scalar multiplications ##(c\cdot f)(x)=c \cdot f(x)\, , \, c \in \mathbb{F}##
The first one is differentiated with the product rule, the second with the chain rule (and the third by linearity of differentiation).

Btw., the letters ##D## and ##L## for the operators above aren't chosen arbitrarily. ##D## stands for derivation (the result of a differentiation), and ##L## for left-multiplication (here with the function ##1(\omega)=\omega## the variable.)

Not to confuse you, it's ##L(f)=1\cdot f## (multiplication #1 where the product rule for differentiation applies) and ##L(f)(\omega)=(1 \cdot f)(\omega)= 1(\omega)\cdot f(\omega)=\omega \cdot f(\omega)##. For the operators ##D## and ##L##, the product is #2, the successive application ##(D\circ L)(f) = D(L(f))## as linear operators on ##\mathbb{F}[\omega]## (and of course also #3 the scalar multiplication with elements of ##\mathbb{F}##).

Likes Math Amateur

Related to First Weyl Algebras .... A_1 ....

1. What is a First Weyl Algebra (A1)?

A First Weyl Algebra (A1) is a type of noncommutative algebra that is generated by two elements, x and y, with the relation [x,y] = xy - yx = 1. It is named after the German mathematician Hermann Weyl.

2. What are the applications of First Weyl Algebras?

First Weyl Algebras have applications in various fields of mathematics, including representation theory, differential equations, and algebraic geometry. They are also used in physics to study quantum mechanics and in engineering for signal processing.

3. How do First Weyl Algebras differ from other types of algebras?

First Weyl Algebras are noncommutative, meaning that the order of multiplication matters. This is in contrast to commutative algebras, where the order of multiplication does not affect the result. Additionally, First Weyl Algebras have a specific relation between the two generators, making them distinct from other types of noncommutative algebras.

4. What is the significance of the number "1" in the relation [x,y] = 1?

The number "1" in the relation [x,y] = 1 is used to define the First Weyl Algebra and is not meant to represent any specific value. It is simply a way to write the relation in a concise and consistent manner.

5. Are there generalizations of First Weyl Algebras to higher dimensions?

Yes, there are generalizations of First Weyl Algebras to higher dimensions, known as An algebras. These are defined by n generators with the relation [xi,xj] = xixj - xjxi = δij, where δij is the Kronecker delta function.