Fixing Loop Troubles in Maple for Gauss Seidel Iteration

• Maple
  • Thread starter elarson89
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Loop Maple
In summary, the individual is attempting to write a Gauss Seidel iteration for Maple, but is encountering difficulties due to a nested for loop. They are specifically struggling with adding an "if" statement to their code, as it seems to be causing an error. The code they have provided includes a function with nested for loops and a return statement, and they are looking for a solution to be able to make a comparison within the "if" statement.
elarson89
I am trying to write a Gauss Seidel iteration for maple, but my troubles are because of a nested for loop.

What i want to do is like this,
function := proc(...)
for ... do
for ... do
(computations)
end do;
(if something > something, then return solution);
end do;

return solution;
end proc;

the statement if something > something is giving me troubles. Even if i don't include a return statement i get the error. It seems like I'm not allowed to put anything in between the end do's.
What am i doing wrong and how can i fix this?

My exact code is this:

with (linalg);

gauss_seidel := proc (A, B, x_0, eps, N) local i, j, k, m, n, x, sol;

n := coldim(A);
for i from 1 to n do
x[i,1] := x_0
od;

for m from 1 to N do
for j from 1 to n do

x[j,m+1] := 1/A[j,j] * ( B[j] - sum(A[j,k]*x[k,m+1] , k=1..(j-1)) - sum( A[j,k]*x[k,m], k=(j+1)..n))

end do;
if abs( max( [seq(x[i,m+1], i=1..n)] - [seq(x[i,m], i=1..n)])) < eps then return (<seq(x[i,m+1], i=1..n)>);

end do;

return <seq(x[i,N+1], i=1..n)>;
end proc;

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The error occurs when I try to add the "if" statement. How can I fix my code so that I can make the comparison?

I can understand your frustration with the nested for loop and the if statement causing errors in your Gauss Seidel iteration for Maple. It is important to carefully check the syntax and logic of your code to identify the root cause of the error.

One possible issue could be the use of the return statement within the nested for loop. In Maple, the return statement immediately exits the current procedure and returns a value. This means that when the condition in the if statement is met, the loop will terminate and the procedure will return a solution. However, this may not be what you intend for the loop to do. Instead, you may want to use a break statement to exit the loop and continue with the next iteration.

Another potential issue could be the use of the seq() function in the if statement. This function creates a sequence of values, but it may not be appropriate to use in this context. Instead, you may want to use the max() function to compare the maximum values of the two sequences.

To fix these loop troubles, you may need to revise your code and carefully consider the purpose of each statement and function. It may also be helpful to consult the Maple documentation or seek assistance from other Maple users to troubleshoot and optimize your code.

Related to Fixing Loop Troubles in Maple for Gauss Seidel Iteration

1. How do I know if my Maple code is experiencing loop troubles in Gauss Seidel iteration?

One way to identify if your code is experiencing loop troubles is to check if the iteration values are not converging or if they are repeating the same values. This can also be confirmed by checking the Maple output for any error messages related to loops.

2. What are some common causes of loop troubles in Gauss Seidel iteration in Maple?

There are several common causes of loop troubles in Gauss Seidel iteration in Maple, such as incorrect initial values, inappropriate convergence criteria, and errors in the mathematical formulation of the problem. Other possible causes include a too large or too small step size, or an incorrect implementation of the Gauss Seidel algorithm in Maple.

3. How can I fix loop troubles in Gauss Seidel iteration in Maple?

To fix loop troubles in Gauss Seidel iteration, you can try adjusting the initial values, convergence criteria, or step size. You can also double check the mathematical formulation of the problem and ensure that the Gauss Seidel algorithm is correctly implemented in Maple. In some cases, it may be necessary to seek assistance from a more experienced Maple user or consult the Maple documentation.

4. Can loop troubles in Gauss Seidel iteration cause incorrect results?

Yes, loop troubles in Gauss Seidel iteration can lead to incorrect results. When the iteration values are not converging or are repeating, the solution obtained may not be accurate. It is important to address any loop troubles to ensure that the Gauss Seidel iteration is producing reliable results.

5. Are there any tips for avoiding loop troubles in Gauss Seidel iteration in Maple?

Yes, there are several tips that can help avoid loop troubles in Gauss Seidel iteration in Maple. These include carefully choosing initial values, using appropriate convergence criteria, and double checking the mathematical formulation and implementation of the algorithm. It is also helpful to test the code with simple and known problems to ensure that it is working correctly.