Fourier series and differential equations

In summary: Well this is the whole solution from my book : If a has the form n2 + (-1n) for some integer n≠0, then the problem has the solution y(t)= A*eint + B*e-int where A and B are constants. If a=1 there are the solutions y(t)=constant. For other values there are no nontrivial solutions. I know if a = n2 + (-1n) then we can just enter this term into the equation and we have y''(t)+(n2 + (-1n))y(t)=y(t+π) which has the solution y(t)= A*eint +
Pouyan

Homework Statement

Find the values of the constant a for which the problem y''(t)+ay(t)=y(t+π), t∈ℝ, has a solution with period 2π
which is not identically zero. Also determine all such solutions

Homework Equations

With help of Fourier series I know that :
Cn(y''(t))= -n2*Cn(y(t))
Cn(y(t+π)) = exp(nπ)Cn(y(t)) = (-1n) Cn(y(t))

We get:
-n2*Cn(y(t)) + a*Cn(y(t)) = (-1n) Cn(y(t))

Cn(y) is not zero then we have
a= n2 + (-1n) , n≠0

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem is this expression:
y''(t)+(n2 + (-1n))y(t)=y(t+π)
if a =0 n=1 or -1 we get y''(t)= y(t+π)
In my book this solution is a constant solution but how we say that this solution is constant ?!
Can't we say that y(t+π)=y(t)?
Further:
If n≠1 or -1 or 0 then we get :
y''(t)+(n2)*y(t)=0 My question for this term is, shall we think y(t)*(-1n)) = y(t+π) ?!
I know how to solve the rest of this term but I don't get :
1) y''(t)= y(t+π) and why we say this has a constant solution ? How do we solve this actually ?!
2) y(t)*(-1n)) = y(t+π)

Physics news on Phys.org
Something is fishy here, a is considered to be a constant (as stated by the problem), thus it cannot depend on n , can it?

EDIT: OK I think I see now, depending on what a is, the solution contains only one Fourier term can you see which one? (in other words ##C_k(y)=0## for every k except for ##k=n=f(a)## where f is some function of a...)

Last edited:
Likes Pouyan
Pouyan said:
My problem is this expression: y''(t)+(n2 + (-1n))y(t)=y(t+π)
If a=0, we get n=1 or -1, and y''(t)= y(t+π)
In my book, this solution is a constant solution, but how we say that this solution is constant ?!
Your book is wrong.

Could you ask your questions again but use better formatting and proper punctuation so it's clear what you're trying to say? Also, explain your reasoning a bit more, like how you jumped to y''(t)+(n2)*y(t)=0, because some of what you wrote doesn't seem right.

Likes Pouyan
vela said:
Your book is wrong.

Could you ask your questions again but use better formatting and proper punctuation so it's clear what you're trying to say? Also, explain your reasoning a bit more, like how you jumped to y''(t)+(n2)*y(t)=0, because some of what you wrote doesn't seem right.
Well this is the whole solution from my book : If a has the form n2 + (-1n) for some integer n≠0, then the problem has the solution y(t)= A*eint + B*e-int where A and B are constants. If a=1 there are the solutions y(t)=constant. For other values there are no nontrivial solutions.
I know if a = n2 + (-1n) then we can just enter this term into the equation and we have
y''(t)+(n2 + (-1n))y(t)=y(t+π) which has the solution y(t)= A*eint + B*e-int when n is not 0 or -1 or 1... but I don't know why...

You need to be more careful. You have ##y(t) = \sum_n c_n e^{int}##. When you plug this into the differential equation, you end up with
$$\sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty -n^2c_n e^{int} + \sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty ac_n e^{int} = \sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty (-1)^n c_n e^{int}.$$ The orthogonality of the Fourier components then implies that
$$(-n^2+a) c_n = (-1)^n c_n$$ for all ##n##. There are two ways this relationship can hold: ##a=n^2 + (-1)^n## or ##c_n = 0##.

Now remember that you're looking at the situation where ##a## is a constant, so it can't vary with ##n##. Suppose ##a=3##. You can see there is no integer value of ##n## such that ##3 = n^2 + (-1)^n##, so the only way the relationship holds is ##c_n = 0## for all ##n##. In other words, ##y=0##, the trivial solution.

But suppose ##a=5 = 2^2 + (-1)^2##. The solution has to satisfy
$$\sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty -n^2c_n e^{int} + \sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty [2^2+(-1)^2]c_n e^{int} = \sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty (-1)^n c_n e^{int},$$ which implies
$$(-n^2+5) c_n = (-1)^n c_n$$ for all ##n##. What happens when ##n=\pm2##? What about when ##n \ne \pm 2##? What does the series look like in this case?

Likes BvU and Delta2

Related to Fourier series and differential equations

What is a Fourier series?

A Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as a sum of sine and cosine functions. It is used to analyze and approximate various types of functions, including periodic signals and solutions to differential equations.

How is a Fourier series calculated?

A Fourier series is calculated by finding the coefficients of the sine and cosine terms using a process called Fourier analysis. This involves breaking down the original function into its individual frequency components and then solving for the coefficients using integrals.

What is the significance of Fourier series in differential equations?

Fourier series are often used in solving differential equations, as they provide a way to represent the solution as a sum of simpler trigonometric functions. This can make the solution easier to understand and manipulate, and can also lead to more efficient numerical methods for solving differential equations.

What is the difference between a Fourier series and a Fourier transform?

While both involve representing a function as a sum of sine and cosine terms, a Fourier series is used for periodic functions, while a Fourier transform is used for non-periodic functions. Additionally, a Fourier transform provides a continuous spectrum of frequencies, while a Fourier series only has discrete frequencies.

What are some real-world applications of Fourier series and differential equations?

Fourier series and differential equations have numerous applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and signal processing. They are used to analyze and model physical phenomena, such as heat transfer, sound waves, and electrical circuits. They are also essential in fields like image and audio compression, where they are used to efficiently represent and process data.