Fourier series: relation of coefficients

In summary: Well done! You have successfully summarized the conversation about expressing the Fourier series in terms of sines and cosines with coefficients a_n and b_n and solely by sines using amplitudes A_n and phase \phi_n. The conversation also addressed the issue of deriving A_n and \phi_n using the identities a_n = A_n \sin(\phi_n) and b_n = A_n \cos(\phi_n), and the potential mistake of using \phi_n = \arccos(b_n/A_n) instead of \phi_n = \arctan(a_n/b_n).
divB
Hi,

The Fourier series can (among others) expressed in terms of sines and cosines with coefficients [itex]a_n[/itex] and [itex]b_n[/itex] and solely by sines using amplitudes [itex]A_n[/itex] and phase [itex]\phi_n[/itex].

I want to express the latter using [itex]a_n[/itex] and [itex]b_n[/itex]. Using

[tex]
a_n = A_n \sin(\phi_n) \\
b_n = A_n \cos(\phi_n)
[/tex]

I quickly found [itex]A_n[/itex] by expressing the arccos and arcsin. For [itex]\phi_n[/itex] I would get

[tex]\phi_n = \arccos \frac{a_n}{\sqrt{a_n^2 + b_n^2}}[/tex]

However, according to the German Wikipedia (http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourier-Reihe) this seems not so trivial. One option there is (for n \neq 0):

[tex]\phi_n = 2 \arctan \frac{b_n}{A_n + a_n}[/tex]

or using arctan and signum function. What I am missing or is my approach also correct?

Thanks,
divB

Physics news on Phys.org
You are starting with the two styles of the Fourier transforms:
$$\sum_n a_n\cos nx + b_n\sin nx = \sum_m A_m\sin(mx+\phi_m)$$
... and you want to relate ##\{a_n,b_n\}## to ##\{A_m,\phi_m\}## ... is that correct?

yes, exactly. And I relate them with [itex]\sin(a+b) = \sin(a)\cos(b) + \cos(a)\sin(b)[/itex] to get:

[tex]
A_0 = a_0/2\\
a_0 = 2A_0
[/tex]

[tex]
a_n = A_n \sin\phi_n \\
b_n = A_n \cos\phi_n
[/tex]

For represeting [itex]A_n[/itex] I get using both equations above:

[tex]
A_n = a_n/\sin\phi_n \\
cos\phi_n = b_n/A_n \\
\phi_n = \arccos b_n/A_n = \arcsin \sqrt{1-b_n^2/A_n^2} \\
A_n = \frac{a_n}{\sqrt{1-\frac{b_n^2}{A_n^2}}} \\
\dots \\
A_n = \sqrt{a_n^2 + b_n^2}
[/tex]

I think this is correct, right?
In the same spirit, I can derive

[tex]
\phi_n = \arccos\frac{b_n}{A_n} = \arccos\frac{b_n}{\sqrt{a_n^2 + b_n^2}}
[/tex]

... but according to the German Wikipedia this is wrong. Why?

That works ...

To put it another way - you can expand each term in the sin-only expansion in terms of the sin-cos expansion ... i.e.

$$A_n\sin(nx+\phi_n)=\sum_m a_m\cos(mx)+b_m\sin(mx)$$

Then you apply the identity.
Since you are expanding an arbitrary sine in terms of sines and cosines, the sum should only have one term in it... (for each value of n on the RHS.)

Leads you to:

##A_n^2=a_n^2+b_n^2##

##\phi_n=\arctan(a_n/b_n)##

... sure. Nicely done.

Hi divB,

Your approach is correct and can be used to find the amplitude and phase of the Fourier series coefficients. However, the other expressions you mentioned from the German Wikipedia are also valid and may be used in different contexts or for different purposes. The important thing to remember is that the coefficients a_n and b_n represent the amplitude and phase of the corresponding sine and cosine terms in the Fourier series, and your method is one way of finding these values. Keep in mind that there may be alternative methods and expressions for calculating these coefficients, but as long as they result in the correct amplitude and phase values, they are all valid.

Related to Fourier series: relation of coefficients

1. What is a Fourier series?

A Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as a combination of sine and cosine waves. It is used to approximate a given function by breaking it down into simpler components.

2. What is the relationship between Fourier coefficients and Fourier series?

The Fourier coefficients represent the amplitudes of the individual sine and cosine waves that make up the Fourier series. They determine the shape and height of the waves and ultimately the accuracy of the Fourier series approximation.

3. How are the Fourier coefficients calculated?

The Fourier coefficients can be calculated using the Fourier series formula, which involves integrating the function over one period and multiplying it by the appropriate trigonometric function.

4. Are the Fourier coefficients unique for a given function?

No, the Fourier coefficients may vary depending on the interval chosen for the Fourier series and the periodicity of the function. However, for a given interval and function, the Fourier coefficients will always be the same.

5. Can Fourier series be used to approximate non-periodic functions?

No, Fourier series are only applicable to periodic functions. Non-periodic functions can be approximated using techniques such as Fourier transforms, which involve a continuous range of frequencies instead of discrete coefficients.