FredGarvin - Question For You Please

• Thread starter vdash103
  • Start date
In summary, FredGarvin is looking for information on compressive stresses for ball and socket type bearings and is seeking the source of an equation mentioned in a post from 2007. The equation can be found in "Roark's Formulas for Stress and Strain" and is related to hertzian or contact stress. Fred refers to this book as "the bible" for this topic.
vdash103
FredGarvin - I didn't know how else to reach you and wasn't sure if you would receive a message if I responded to a thread that was started by someone else in which you responded. Anyhow, my question is on compressive stresses for ball and socket type bearings.

You responded to a post in 2007 on this topic and the link is: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=206257

I'm trying to find more information specifically what book your equation came from. I would like to read up on background information for this equation.

Any help you can give is appreciated.

Thank You

Engineering news on Phys.org
vdash103 said:
FredGarvin - I didn't know how else to reach you and wasn't sure if you would receive a message if I responded to a thread that was started by someone else in which you responded. Anyhow, my question is on compressive stresses for ball and socket type bearings.

You responded to a post in 2007 on this topic and the link is: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=206257

I'm trying to find more information specifically what book your equation came from. I would like to read up on background information for this equation.

Any help you can give is appreciated.

Thank You

Fred hasn't posted since February, unfortunately. You might try PM'ing him, in case he is checking those messages.

I respond as the official agent for Fred Garvin. He is currently occupied with Lady Gaga, but will be glad to answer your questions after his shower.

berkeman,

Can you tell me how to PM him? I was looking for that option and couldn't find it.

Thanks

Danger,

Haha - thanks!

vdash103 said:
berkeman,

Can you tell me how to PM him? I was looking for that option and couldn't find it.

Thanks

When you are looking at a post of Fred's you left-click on their underlined user name. That exposes several options, including sending them a PM.

berkeman,

ah, I see now - thanks!

vdash103 said:
Danger,

Haha - thanks!

My pleasure. Now, please do me a favour and make sure that he never sees that post.

FredGarvin must have his PM settings disabled...it won't let me.

The book is "Roark's Formulas for Stress and Strain" and the equation comes from Table 14-1, chapter 14, p.702 (7th edition, 2002).

For background information, look for hertzian stress or contact stress.

Thanks!

Notice that Fred refers to "the bible, Roark's." That is of course, Roark's Forumlas for Stress and Strain.

Mech_Engineer said:
That is of course, Roark's Forumlas for Stress and Strain.
Unless Roark took lessons from my ex-wife, he has no idea about stress and strain.

Related to FredGarvin - Question For You Please

1. What is "FredGarvin - Question For You Please"?

"FredGarvin - Question For You Please" is a popular online platform where users can ask and answer questions on a wide range of topics.

2. How does "FredGarvin - Question For You Please" work?

Users can create an account and start asking questions or providing answers. The platform uses a voting system to determine the most helpful or accurate answers, and users can also earn points and badges for their contributions.

3. Is "FredGarvin - Question For You Please" a reliable source of information?

"FredGarvin - Question For You Please" is not a verified or peer-reviewed source of information. It is important to fact-check and verify information from multiple sources before accepting it as true.

4. Can I ask any type of question on "FredGarvin - Question For You Please"?

The platform has a community guidelines and policies in place to ensure questions and answers are appropriate and respectful. Some topics may also have specific guidelines or restrictions.

5. Can I trust the answers on "FredGarvin - Question For You Please"?

The accuracy and reliability of answers on "FredGarvin - Question For You Please" vary depending on the expertise and credibility of the user providing the answer. It is always recommended to verify information from multiple sources.