Friction of a rotating wheel on non-uniform terrain

In summary: The wheels on a car set to cruise control such that they rotate with constant angular velocity. Neither the wheel nor the ground are deformable (so we can ignore rolling friction) and the wheels slip while rolling. I understand that if the car is driving on a constant slope and the wheels are slipping that the friction between the wheels and surface is dynamic. But is this still true on a bumpy surface where the car has to constantly accelerate to maintain angular velocity? If the wheel is accelerating, then doesn't there have to be at least some static friction between the ground and the wheel?In summary, the friction between the wheel and the ground is static on a bumpy surface where the car has to constantly accelerate to maintain angular
wuphys
I have a conceptual issue with wheel friction that has been bothering me for a while. Consider the wheels on a car set to cruise control such that they rotate with constant angular velocity. Neither the wheel nor the ground are deformable (so we can ignore rolling friction) and the wheels slip while rolling. I understand that if the car is driving on a constant slope and the wheels are slipping that the friction between the wheels and surface is dynamic. But is this still true on a bumpy surface where the car has to constantly accelerate to maintain angular velocity? If the wheel is accelerating, then doesn't there have to be at least some static friction between the ground and the wheel?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Edit: I guess what the question boils down to is: if a wheel is rotating and slipping but also being acted upon by an external force (a car accelerating), then is the friction static or dynamic?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
μ
wuphys said:
I have a conceptual issue with wheel friction that has been bothering me for a while. Consider the wheels on a car set to cruise control such that they rotate with constant angular velocity. Neither the wheel nor the ground are deformable (so we can ignore rolling friction) and the wheels slip while rolling. I understand that if the car is driving on a constant slope and the wheels are slipping that the friction between the wheels and surface is dynamic. But is this still true on a bumpy surface where the car has to constantly accelerate to maintain angular velocity? If the wheel is accelerating, then doesn't there have to be at least some static friction between the ground and the wheel?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Edit: I guess what the question boils down to is: if a wheel is rotating and slipping but also being acted upon by an external force (a car accelerating), then is the friction static or dynamic?
Why do you say the wheels slip while rolling? What do you mean when you say that the car has to constantly accelerate to maintain angular velocity?

If a wheel is in a state of constant slipping, the friction force is determined by the co-efficient of kinetic friction (i.e. F = μkN). That is one reason you lose steering control when you slam on the brakes on ice. Static friction can only occur if there is no relative movement between the tire surface and road surface.

AM

Last edited:
Rather than contemplating non-uniform terrain, how about simplifying. You have a rigid wheel that is rolling without slipping on a smooth, rigid, horizontal surface when it encounters a rigid point-like bump at some elevation above the road surface.

Before this impact can be analyzed, we must have information on at least two important parameters: Coefficient of restitution and coeffecient of friction.

Coefficient of restitution:

When a rigid wheel strikes a rigid surface, does it bounce off? Or does it stick? If all you are told is that the wheel and surface are rigid, the answer is indeterminate. You have an infinite force over a zero distance and a zero interval.

Let us assume a coefficient of restitution of zero and a coefficient of friction of mu. And let us not worry for the moment about the distinction between static and dynamic friction.

When the wheel strikes the bump, its radial velocity toward the point is zeroed out. Its tangential velocity around the point is unaffected. This results in an impulsive change in momentum. The net radial impulse can be easily calculated based on the wheel's mass, impact speed and angle of impact.

Multiply by the coefficient of friction and you have the maximum available tangential impulse due to the impact.

The tangential velocity of the wheel's center-of-gravity about the bump prior to impact is known. The required tangential velocity of the wheel's center-of-gravity about the bump post-impact in order to roll without slipping is calculable. If the delta exceeds the maximum available tangential impulse due to impact then the wheel slips. Otherwise, it rolls without slipping.

Related to Friction of a rotating wheel on non-uniform terrain

1. What is friction and how does it affect a rotating wheel on non-uniform terrain?

Friction is the force that acts against the motion of an object. When a rotating wheel encounters non-uniform terrain, the surface irregularities create varying levels of friction, which can impact the wheel's motion and stability.

2. How does the weight of the wheel affect the friction on non-uniform terrain?

The weight of the wheel plays a significant role in the friction it experiences on non-uniform terrain. A heavier wheel will have more downward force, increasing the normal force and therefore increasing the friction on the terrain. A lighter wheel will have less downward force and may experience less friction.

3. How does the speed of the wheel affect the friction on non-uniform terrain?

The speed of the rotating wheel also affects the friction it experiences on non-uniform terrain. A faster rotating wheel will create more friction due to the increased contact between the wheel and the terrain. A slower rotating wheel will have less friction as there is less contact between the two surfaces.

4. Can the type of material of the wheel and terrain impact the friction on non-uniform terrain?

Yes, the type of material can have a significant impact on the friction between a rotating wheel and non-uniform terrain. For example, a rubber wheel on a rough, rocky terrain will have more friction compared to a metal wheel on the same terrain.

5. How can the friction on non-uniform terrain be reduced for a rotating wheel?

The friction on non-uniform terrain can be reduced by adjusting the weight, speed, and material of the wheel. Additionally, using lubricants or adding treads to the wheel can also help reduce friction. Proper maintenance and choosing the right wheel for the terrain can also make a significant difference in reducing friction.