General information on back pressure in a syringe

In summary, the conversation is about back pressure in a syringe. The person is looking for general information and a good resource to understand the scenario where the plunger moves back slightly after releasing pressure. The concept of air being compressible and the Boyle-Gay Lussac law is mentioned, along with a recommendation to look up "hysteresis" and consider the seal type.
Petra de Ruyter
Hi all

I'm looking for general information on "back pressure" specially in a syringe. So when you put your finger over the top of a syringe and depress the plunger then release the pressure on the plunger and the plunger moves back slightly. I'm struggling to find some specific information that will help me explain this scenario? So any reading that you think would be good please provide a link.

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Petra,

Did you notice a difference between syringes filled with air as opposed to syringes filled with water ?

This syringe is filled with air only and connected to another syringe that is empty. I'm looking for a text reading that will help me understand what is happening, I don't necessary need anything solved just need a good resource that I can refer to.

Air is compressible: when you increase the pressure (push down the syringe) the volume decreases. The air in the reduced volume presses back.
When all this is done at approximately the same temperature, the product of air volume (in the two syringes combined) and pressure is constant (Boyle-Gay Lussac law). Google or look it up in an introductory physics textbook.

Likes dextercioby
Also, Google "hysteresis." You haven't identified/specified seal type.

Many thanks to all that have posted.

Related to General information on back pressure in a syringe

1. What is back pressure in a syringe?

Back pressure in a syringe refers to the resistance or force exerted against the plunger when trying to push liquid out of the syringe. It is caused by the resistance of the fluid against the walls of the syringe and the needle.

2. How does back pressure affect the accuracy of a syringe?

Back pressure can affect the accuracy of a syringe by causing the plunger to move unevenly, leading to inconsistent or inaccurate measurements. It can also affect the flow rate of the liquid being dispensed.

3. What factors can contribute to back pressure in a syringe?

Factors that can contribute to back pressure in a syringe include the viscosity of the liquid being dispensed, the size and length of the needle, and the size and design of the syringe itself. Air bubbles or obstructions in the needle can also cause back pressure.

4. How can back pressure be reduced in a syringe?

Back pressure can be reduced by using a larger diameter needle, using a syringe with a larger barrel, or choosing a syringe with a different design, such as a luer lock or eccentric tip. Removing air bubbles or obstructions from the needle can also help reduce back pressure.

5. Can back pressure be completely eliminated in a syringe?

While back pressure can be reduced, it cannot be completely eliminated in a syringe. However, choosing the appropriate syringe and needle size and design, as well as properly preparing the liquid to be dispensed, can greatly minimize the effects of back pressure.