Getting weird formula for Capacitance

In summary, the conversation discussed the relationship between capacitance (C) and voltage (ΔV) in a capacitor, as well as the factors that affect voltage in a capacitor. The equation C=Q/ΔV was introduced and the concept of electric fields and their role in determining voltage was also discussed. The conversation ended with a brief mention of using the equation V = EΔd to find voltage in a parallel plate capacitor, although this method is not applicable to all types of capacitors.
lluke9
Okay, so I know
[tex]C=Q/ΔV[/tex]

And ΔV is the sum of the electric fields multiplied by the distance between the charges, so if the first charge has a charge of Q and the other has -Q with R distance between, the electric potential/voltage is:
[tex]ΔV = [(kQ/r^2) + (kQ/r^2)]R[/tex]
so
[tex]ΔV = 2kQ/R[/tex].

And [tex]C = Q/ΔV[/tex]
so...
[tex]C = Q/(kQ/R)[/tex]
and...
[tex]C = R/2k[/tex]
and...
[tex]C = R/2[1/(4Πε_0)][/tex]
and
[tex]C = 2ΠRε_0[/tex]

What...?
It would make some semblance of sense if R were inversely proportional to capacitance, but it isnt...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
lluke9 said:
Okay, so I know
[tex]C=Q/ΔV[/tex]
Where ΔV is the voltage between two conductors.

And ΔV is the sum of the electric fields multiplied by the distance between the charges,
That's only true if the field is constant.

so if the first charge has a charge of Q and the other has -Q with R distance between, the electric potential/voltage is:
[tex]ΔV = [(kQ/r^2) + (kQ/r^2)]R[/tex]
Not sure what you're doing here with two point charges.

In any case: In the expression for the field from a point charge, r is the distance from the charge. So r for one charge is different than the r for the other. Also, the field isn't constant, so you can't just multiply by the distance R.

Doc Al said:
Where ΔV is the voltage between two conductors.That's only true if the field is constant.Not sure what you're doing here with two point charges.

In any case: In the expression for the field from a point charge, r is the distance from the charge. So r for one charge is different than the r for the other. Also, the field isn't constant, so you can't just multiply by the distance R.

Well, I was just adding up the electric fields and doing V = EΔd...

But I'm guessing that's not possible because the electric field isn't constant...?

Okay, please forget about everything I typed up there, I guess it was a complete waste of time.So how DO you change the voltage in a capacitor? Wouldn't it be to just increase the charge?
Actually, how do you FIND the voltage in a capacitor? Is it V = EΔd, because the electric field is constant in a capacitor?

lluke9 said:
So how DO you change the voltage in a capacitor? Wouldn't it be to just increase the charge?
You charge a capacitor by hooking it up to voltage source (a battery, perhaps). The higher the voltage, the greater the charge stored on each conductor.
Actually, how do you FIND the voltage in a capacitor? Is it V = EΔd, because the electric field is constant in a capacitor?
For a parallel plate capacitor, the field is constant. So you could use that method.

Doc Al said:
For a parallel plate capacitor, the field is constant. So you could use that method.

So could you substitute for voltage in the capacitance equation?

[tex]C = q/EΔd[/tex]

Then [tex]E_T[/tex] would be:
[tex]E_T = kq/r^2 + kq/r^2[/tex]
because
[tex]E = kq/r^2[/tex]
and both electric fields are going the same direction.

And then I'd arrive at the same thing I did in my original post...

[tex]E_T[/tex] = net electric field

lluke9 said:
because
[tex]E = kq/r^2[/tex]
That's the field for a point charge. Nothing to do with the constant field found between the plates of a parallel plate capacitor.

Related to Getting weird formula for Capacitance

1. What is capacitance and why is it important in science?

Capacitance is the ability of a system to store an electrical charge. It is important in science because it plays a crucial role in the functioning of electronic devices and circuits.

2. How do you calculate capacitance?

The formula for capacitance is C = Q/V, where C is the capacitance in Farads, Q is the charge in Coulombs, and V is the voltage in Volts.

3. Can capacitance be changed or manipulated?

Yes, capacitance can be changed by altering the distance between the two plates of a capacitor, changing the surface area of the plates, or adjusting the type of material used for the plates.

4. What is the unit for capacitance?

The unit for capacitance is the Farad (F), named after the scientist Michael Faraday.

5. How does capacitance affect the behavior of circuits?

Capacitance can affect the response time, frequency, and stability of a circuit. It also allows for the storage and release of electrical energy, which is essential for many electronic devices to function properly.