Gravitational Bending vs. Refraction

In summary, gravitational bending and refraction are two different phenomena that can affect the path of light. Gravitational bending occurs when light passes near a massive object, such as a star or black hole, causing it to bend and follow a curved path. Refraction, on the other hand, is the bending of light as it passes through different mediums, such as air and water. While both gravitational bending and refraction can alter the path of light, they are caused by different factors and have distinct effects. Gravitational bending is a result of the interaction between light and gravity, while refraction is caused by the change in speed of light as it enters a different medium. These concepts are important in understanding the behavior of light and its
Gort
I'd like to call attention to this paper: https://arxiv.org/ftp/physics/papers/0409/0409124.pdf
I'm not trying to question the validity of GR in bending of light near a star (such as the sun), as this paper apparently does. But surely Newtonian refraction of light passing through the sun's upper atmosphere must play a role. How does one separate the contributions due to Newtonian refraction and GR in computing the total observed effect in the bending of a light path?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would expect that you propose a model of the composition and density of the medium, deduce its refractive index and absorption spectrum as a function of distance from the star, and then calculate the effect on light paths, presumably using something fun like Maxwell's equations in a medium in curved spacetime (or maybe you can get away with Huygens' Principle). Then you go and track the apparent position and brightness of a star in a range of wavelengths as it approaches the star.

Significant chromatic aberration would be a simple dead giveaway for this. Light in a vacuum in GR will have the same path independent of frequency. Light in a medium will not (unless you tune your medium's properties super carefully, I suppose).

Likes russ_watters and stoomart
Although I agree that can be done, was that actually done during initial tests of GR? I seem to recall that the stellar light deflection measuring by Eddington during the 1919 eclipse was "precisely" what GR predicted. No mention of refraction through the solar atmosphere that I recall. Did I miss something?

I don't know if Eddington worried about it or not. It's worth noting that the corona is not stable, so its effects (if at all significant - I don't know) would be like a mirage - i.e. would show random variation. Eddington is far from the only person to have studied gravitational lensing, and I know it's been done in multiple wavelengths and with multiple different bodies (not just the Sun). Anything is possible, of course, but I find it difficult to imagine that circumstances have conspired so well to make regular refraction look like GR under such a range of circumstances (your paper's author obviously disagrees, but you don't seem to be asking my thoughts on that).

It's worth noting that "precise agreement" is a rather optimistic description of Eddington's results. He was certainly a lot closer to Einstein than the semi-Newtonian model he was comparing against, but there was an element of showmanship in how Eddington (an Englishman) handled reporting tests of work by Einstein (a German speaker with a Germanic name) in 1919.

Last edited:
Gort said:
I'd like to call attention to this paper: https://arxiv.org/ftp/physics/papers/0409/0409124.pdf
I'm not trying to question the validity of GR in bending of light near a star (such as the sun), as this paper apparently does. But surely Newtonian refraction of light passing through the sun's upper atmosphere must play a role. How does one separate the contributions due to Newtonian refraction and GR in computing the total observed effect in the bending of a light path?
Quick note about the paper and a later one: the author is not an endorser, they were not published in a peer-reviewed journal, and don't have any citations. Stars aside, my problem replacing gravitational lensing with refraction is there's no atmosphere around black holes. The author redefines BHs as a "shrunk neutron-star surrounded by a thick glassy skirt of atmosphere".

Last edited:
Likes Ibix and russ_watters
I even wonder, how this paper stayed on the arXiv! One very superficial but usually correct prejudice is that you shouldn't trust papers written in Word (at least not in theoretical physics).

Likes stoomart, dextercioby and DrClaude
Thread closed pending moderation.

vanhees71 said:
I even wonder, how this paper stayed on the arXiv! One very superficial but usually correct prejudice is that you shouldn't trust papers written in Word (at least not in theoretical physics).
The paper was posted to arXiv back in 2004, before they had discovered the need for quality control. Today it would end up on vixra or worse.

Likes vanhees71
DrClaude said:
Thread closed pending moderation.
And we can leave it closed - the source upon which it is based is clearly bogus.

Likes vanhees71
One more comment: The Gaia telescope sees the deflection of starlight by the Sun with every single star observation - at 1 AU distance and with an angle of 45° to 135° relative to the Sun, far away from any sort of stellar atmosphere. Without a correction for this effect the Gaia data wouldn't make any sense; it is clearly there.
Gaia is expected to measure this deflection with a relative precision of a few parts in a million.

Likes dextercioby

Related to Gravitational Bending vs. Refraction

1. What is the difference between gravitational bending and refraction?

Gravitational bending is the bending of light due to the curvature of spacetime caused by massive objects, whereas refraction is the bending of light as it passes through a medium with different optical densities.

2. How does gravitational bending affect our perception of light from distant objects?

Gravitational bending can cause light from distant objects to appear distorted or appear in a different location than its actual position due to the effects of gravity.

3. Can gravitational bending be observed in everyday life?

Yes, gravitational bending can be observed in everyday life, such as when light from a distant star appears to be in a different position during a solar eclipse due to the gravitational pull of the sun.

4. Does refraction also occur in space?

Yes, refraction can also occur in space, such as when light passes through different layers of gas or dust in interstellar space.

5. How do scientists use gravitational bending and refraction to study distant objects in space?

Scientists use gravitational bending and refraction to study distant objects in space by analyzing the way light is bent and distorted, which can provide information about the mass and composition of objects and their surroundings.