Green function for forced harmonic oscillator

In summary, the problem requires finding ##G(t)## after first finding ##G(\omega)## using a Fourier transform. The use of calculus of residues is necessary, and the poles at ##\omega = \pm \omega_0## are shifted to the lower half plane by ##i\epsilon## to account for causality. After integrating along the contour in the lower half plane and calculating the residues, the final expression for ##G(t)## is ##G(t)=\frac{i}{2\omega_0}\sin \omega_0 t##, which is real.
Judas503

Homework Statement

The problem requires to solve the integration to find ## G(t) ## after ##G(\omega)## is found via Fourier transform. We have [tex] G(\omega)= \frac{1}{2\pi}\frac{1}{\omega _{0}^2 - \omega ^2}[/tex]

Homework Equations

As mentioned previously, the question asks to find ##G(t)##

The Attempt at a Solution

It is obvious that calculus of residues is required. To account for causality (## G(t<0)=0 ##), the poles at ## \omega=\pm \omega_{0} ## are shifted to the lower half plane by ## i\epsilon ## and integrated along the contour in the lower half plane. Then,
[tex] G(t)=-\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\frac{e^{-i\omega t}}{(\omega +i\epsilon)^2 -\omega _{0} ^2}d\omega [/tex]
After calculating the residues at ## \omega =\pm \omega _{0} - i\epsilon ##, I found
[tex] G(t)=\frac{i}{2\omega_{0}}\sin \omega_{0}t [/tex]

Is my answer correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
The presence of ##i## suggests it's not. G(t) should be real, shouldn't it?

The sine makes sense. The system is at rest and then you impart an impulse, causing it to oscillate. It has to be sine because it starts from x=0.

It looks like the i and the 2 might both get absorbed into the ##\sin \omega_0 t =\frac{e^{i \omega_0 t }-e^{-i \omega_0 t }}{2i}## term.

Yes, sorry! I forgot to put the "i" in the exponential form of sine. That should clear the problem.

Your approach is correct and your answer appears to be correct as well. However, it is always important to double check your work and make sure you have accounted for all necessary factors, such as causality in this case. Additionally, it may be helpful to provide some explanation or context for the solution, especially for those who may not be familiar with the topic. Overall, your response demonstrates a strong understanding of the concept and a thorough approach to solving the problem.

Related to Green function for forced harmonic oscillator

What is the Green function for forced harmonic oscillator?

The Green function for forced harmonic oscillator is a mathematical function that describes the response of a forced harmonic oscillator system. It is a solution to the differential equation that represents the system, and it takes into account the initial conditions and the forcing function.

How is the Green function for forced harmonic oscillator used?

The Green function for forced harmonic oscillator is used to solve for the displacement and velocity of the oscillator at any given time, given the initial conditions and the forcing function. It can also be used to calculate the energy of the oscillator and to analyze the stability of the system.

What is the difference between the Green function for forced harmonic oscillator and the Green function for free harmonic oscillator?

The Green function for forced harmonic oscillator takes into account the effect of an external force on the system, while the Green function for free harmonic oscillator represents the response of the system in the absence of any external forces. In other words, the Green function for free harmonic oscillator describes the natural behavior of the system, while the Green function for forced harmonic oscillator takes into account external influences.

How is the Green function for forced harmonic oscillator derived?

The Green function for forced harmonic oscillator is derived by using the method of variation of parameters, which involves finding a particular solution to the differential equation and then using it to find the general solution. The Green function is then obtained by taking the inverse Laplace transform of the general solution.

What are some real-world applications of the Green function for forced harmonic oscillator?

The Green function for forced harmonic oscillator can be applied to a wide range of systems, including mechanical, electrical, and acoustic systems. It is used in fields such as engineering, physics, and chemistry to model and analyze the behavior of forced harmonic oscillators in various systems, such as mass-spring-damper systems, electrical circuits, and acoustic resonators.