Heegard Splitting of the 2-Torus.

• Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Splitting
In summary, the conversation discusses a way of showing that S3 can be decomposed into the union of two solid tori, using the Hopf fibration. This involves considering a trivialized 'hood U in the bundle S3→S2 with fiber S1, and taking a disk inside of U which will lift to a solid torus. The complement of this disk also lifts to a solid torus, leading to the decomposition. Some additional care may be needed to translate this argument into the smooth setting. Another participant suggests using the fact that S3 is the boundary of D4, which can be decomposed into two solid tori, to show the desired result.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi, All:

First of all, the title should be "Heegard Splitting of ## S^3 ## ; the 2-torus is not even a 3-manifold.

I think I have a way of showing that ## S^3## can be decomposed as the union of two solid tori ## = S^1 \times D^2 ## ,but the argument seems more analytical than geometric. I'm also trying to avoid, if possible, to make heavy use of the Hopf fibration. I wonder if someone has a "nice " geometric way of describing it.

The argument is something like this (it does use the Hopf fibration): consider a trivialized 'hood U in the bundle ## π: S^3 \rightarrow S^2 ## with fiber ## S^1 ## , i.e., U lifts under π to a product ## U \times S^1 ## . Then we take a disk ## D^2 ## inside of U ( or inside of me ), which will lift to a ## D^2 \times S^1 ## , i.e., a solid torus. Now we consider the lift of the complement in ## S^2 ## of this last ## D^2## ; we have that ## S^2 - D^2 ## is a ## D^2##, which is contractible, so that if lifts also to a ## D^2 \times S^1 ## . Maybe we need to give some smooth gluing arguments of the two lifts, but otherwise I think this shows this decomposition. Can anyone think of some other nicer way of showing this without considering the lifts of copies of ## S^1 ## in the base ## S^2## in the Hopf fibration?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Notice S3 is the boundary of D4. Since D4 = D2 x D2 and the boundary of this latter space is (D2 x S1)∪(S1 x D2) the conclusion follows. Although this argument works topologically some additional care might be needed to ensure it translates properly into the smooth setting.

Ah, nice; thanks.

Related to Heegard Splitting of the 2-Torus.

1. What is Heegard splitting of the 2-torus?

Heegard splitting of the 2-torus is a topological decomposition of the 2-torus into two solid tori. It is a way of representing the 2-torus as a union of two simpler objects.

2. Why is Heegard splitting important in mathematics?

Heegard splitting is important because it allows for a better understanding of the topology of the 2-torus. It also has applications in other areas of mathematics, such as knot theory and 3-manifold topology.

3. How is Heegard splitting different from other types of topological decompositions?

Unlike other types of topological decompositions, Heegard splitting is unique in that it represents the 2-torus as a union of two solid tori, rather than as a union of simpler surfaces or curves. This makes it a useful tool for studying the properties of the 2-torus.

4. Can Heegard splitting be generalized to higher dimensions?

Yes, Heegard splitting can be generalized to higher dimensions. In fact, it is a fundamental tool in the study of 3-manifolds and higher-dimensional manifolds.

5. How is Heegard splitting used in practical applications?

Heegard splitting has practical applications in various areas of mathematics, such as in the study of knots and links, in geometric group theory, and in the theory of 3-manifolds. It also has applications in physics, particularly in the study of quantum field theory and string theory.