Help finding velocity using data table

In summary, to calculate the velocity at 0.25 seconds, you would use v=(0.29-0)/(0.25-0), and for the velocity at 0.50 seconds, you would use v=(1.15-0.29)/(0.5-0.25). However, these values will only give an approximation of the velocity at those specific times, and you can use these values to interpolate intermediate velocities. The assumption is that the speed changes smoothly between data points.
terasnap

Homework Statement

Using the data found, in this chart, create a time-velocity data table.

Time(s),Position(m)[down]: (0,0), (0.25,0.29), (0.50,1.15)

Homework Equations

v= change in position/change in time

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm just wondering which sets of data points I should be using to calculate the velocity at 0.25 seconds: for example v=(0.25-0)/(0.29-0) is different from v=(0.50-0.25)/(1.15-0.29).

Physics news on Phys.org
Since the graph is linear between endpoints, select the points and compute the slope of the line, using the velocity equation you indicated and the endpoints of the line. Do the same for the second line, and you obtain the velocities.

NasuSama said:
Since the graph is linear between endpoints, select the points and compute the slope of the line, using the velocity equation you indicated and the endpoints of the line. Do the same for the second line, and you obtain the velocities.

Sorry, but I don't really understand how to find the exact velocity at 0.25 seconds, since your method calculates the average velocity between 0s-0.25s.

terasnap said:

Homework Statement

Using the data found, in this chart, create a time-velocity data table.

Time(s),Position(m)[down]: (0,0), (0.25,0.29), (0.50,1.15)

Homework Equations

v= change in position/change in time

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm just wondering which sets of data points I should be using to calculate the velocity at 0.25 seconds: for example v=(0.25-0)/(0.29-0) is different from v=(0.50-0.25)/(1.15-0.29).
You would use v=(0.29-0)/(0.25-0) to get your best approximation to the velocity at 0.125, and you would use v=(1.15-0.29)/(0.5-0.25) to get your best approximation to the velocity at 0.375.

terasnap said:
Sorry, but I don't really understand how to find the exact velocity at 0.25 seconds, since your method calculates the average velocity between 0s-0.25s.
Hi terasnap, welcome to Physics Forums.

There is no way to calculate the "exact" velocity at any moment, when all you have are a few data points. It is reasonable to assume that speed changes smoothly, so the data points you have should give their best approximation to the speed at those times midway between your data values. Calculate these values of velocity, and you can then use these figures to interpolate intermediate values of velocity.

Chestermiller has shown you the way to begin.

Related to Help finding velocity using data table

1. What is velocity and how is it calculated?

Velocity is a measure of the speed and direction of an object's motion. It is calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. The formula for velocity is: velocity = distance/time.

2. How can I find velocity using a data table?

To find velocity using a data table, you will need to have data for both distance and time. Plot the distance on the y-axis and time on the x-axis. Then, calculate the slope of the line connecting the data points. The slope of the line represents the velocity.

3. What are some common units for velocity?

Some common units for velocity include meters per second (m/s), kilometers per hour (km/h), miles per hour (mph), and feet per second (ft/s). The choice of unit depends on the scale and context of the motion being measured.

4. Can velocity be negative?

Yes, velocity can be negative. Negative velocity indicates that an object is moving in the opposite direction of the positive direction on the chosen axis. For example, if an object is moving to the left on a horizontal axis, its velocity would be negative.

5. How does velocity differ from speed?

Velocity and speed are both measures of an object's motion, but they differ in that velocity also takes into account the direction of the motion, while speed does not. Velocity is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, while speed is a scalar quantity, only having magnitude.