Help me come up with shock effect preventing technology (sci-fi book)

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in the concept for a book where people live on an ocean planet with dangerous conditions above sea level. Combat operations take place underwater, but the use of sea mines poses a problem. The idea of using a large air bubble to diminish the shock effect of the mines is proposed, and the possibility of using a craft or drone with pressurized air tanks to approach the mines from below is suggested. Another solution is to create specialized anti-explosive capsules with a substance produced underwater. This will add depth to the worldbuilding in the book.
Antitank_Borshch
There is a problem in my technological concept that does not allow the normal development of the plot of the book. It takes place on an ocean planet where being above sea level is absolutely dangerous with the level of technology that exists there. So all combat operations there take place underwater, which automatically means the active use of sea mines. And I have trouble coming up with technology that can prevent the shock effect of them. And if it is not there, then the big question is why, with such an alignment as I describe in the book, people still exist there, and not just a pile of debris with corpses inside.

Physics news on Phys.org
sea mine means a naval mine, not a mine on the bottom of the sea

It seems like if the mine could be enveloped by a large air bubble and the mine detonated, that its coupling of its energy to the water would be diminished. I don't know how large of a bubble would give what diminishing effect, but perhaps you can do some Google searching to see if it's been studied or modeled before. Hopefully something like a bubble diameter of 3-4X the diameter of the mine would give a large dampening effect.

If it could work, then you need to figure out a way to have a craft/drone that pressurizes air tanks at the surface, then submerges and approaches a mine from below. It somehow blows the bubble (maybe with some chemicals to increase the surface tension to hold the bubble together, and releases it with some detonator thing at the bottom/middle of the bubble...

• Informative
Likes phinds, hmmm27 and Antitank_Borshch
berkeman said:
It seems like if the mine could be enveloped by a large air bubble and the mine detonated, that its coupling of its energy to the water would be diminished. I don't know how large of a bubble would give what diminishing effect, but perhaps you can do some Google searching to see if it's been studied or modeled before. Hopefully something like a bubble diameter of 3-4X the diameter of the mine would give a large dampening effect.

If it could work, then you need to figure out a way to have a craft/drone that pressurizes air tanks at the surface, then submerges and approaches a mine from below. It somehow blows the bubble (maybe with some chemicals to increase the surface tension to hold the bubble together, and releases it with some detonator thing at the bottom/middle of the bubble...
Thanks for the informative reply. I like the idea of covering the mine with a substance that will dampen the shock effect of it, but floating to the surface of the ocean with such frequency and on such a scale is almost impossible due to the high density of the atmosphere, and therefore the extreme weather conditions that rage there. Because of this, I'm leaning more toward crafting special anti-explosive munitions in the form of capsules with a substance produced/mined underwater. And it will make the worldbuilding a lot more interesting and layered, so thanks again man.

Likes berkeman
Have you considered enhanced background radiation. I mean as another explanation for keeping things happening underwater? Perhaps due to some ancient conflict? I don't think nuclear weapons are the most effective EMPs, but who knows what people do when they have access to WMDs.

I have a couple of ideas but the less said the better. :P

OP last seen in February, so no need to spin our wheels anymore here. Thread closed.