Help with D&K Proposition 2.3.2: Directional & Partial Derivatives

In summary: D_n f_2(a) v_n \\ ... & ... & ... & ... & ... \\ ... & ... & ... & ... &... \\ ... & ... & ... & ... &... \\ D_1 f_p(a) v_1 + D_2 f_p(a) v_2 + \ ... \ ... \ + D_n f_p(a) v_n \end{pmatrix}
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading "Multidimensional Real Analysis I: Differentiation" by J. J. Duistermaat and J. A. C. Kolk ...

I am focused on Chapter 2: Differentiation ... ...

I need help with another aspect of the proof of Proposition 2.3.2 ... ...

Duistermaat and Kolk's Proposition 2.3.2 and its proof read as follows:
View attachment 7850
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/7851
In the above proof we read the following:

" ... ... The partial differentiability of (ii) is a consequence of (i); the formula follows from \(\displaystyle Df(a) \in \text{ Lin} ( \mathbb{R}^n , \mathbb{R}^p )\) and \(\displaystyle v = \sum_{ 1 \le j \le n } v_j e_j \) ( see 1.11) ... ... "Can someone please demonstrate explicitly and rigorously how it is that the partial differentiability of (ii) is a consequence of (i) and, further, how exactly it is that the formula follows from \(\displaystyle Df(a) \in \text{ Lin} ( \mathbb{R}^n , \mathbb{R}^p )\) and \(\displaystyle v = \sum_{ 1 \le j \le n } v_j e_j\) ... ...
Help will be much appreciated ...

Peter==========================================================================================***NOTE***

It may help readers of the above post to have access to the start of Section "2.3: Directional and Partial Derivatives" ... in order to understand the context and notation of the post ... so I am providing the same ... as follows:
View attachment 7852The above post refers to (1.1) so I am providing text relevant to and including (1.1) ... as follows ...View attachment 7853Hope that the above notes/text help readers of the post understand the context and notation of the post ...

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
The "partial derivatives" in (ii) are the "directional derivatives" in (i) in the direction of the coordinate axes. The formula follows from the fact that a vector can be written as a sum of its component in each coordinate direction times a unit vector in that direction- that the unit vectors in each coordinate direction form a basis for the vector space.

Country Boy said:
The "partial derivatives" in (ii) are the "directional derivatives" in (i) in the direction of the coordinate axes. The formula follows from the fact that a vector can be written as a sum of its component in each coordinate direction times a unit vector in that direction- that the unit vectors in each coordinate direction form a basis for the vector space.
Thanks Country Boy ...

... appreciate the help ...

Peter

Peter said:
I am reading "Multidimensional Real Analysis I: Differentiation" by J. J. Duistermaat and J. A. C. Kolk ...

I am focused on Chapter 2: Differentiation ... ...

I need help with another aspect of the proof of Proposition 2.3.2 ... ...

Duistermaat and Kolk's Proposition 2.3.2 and its proof read as follows:In the above proof we read the following:

" ... ... The partial differentiability of (ii) is a consequence of (i); the formula follows from \(\displaystyle Df(a) \in \text{ Lin} ( \mathbb{R}^n , \mathbb{R}^p )\) and \(\displaystyle v = \sum_{ 1 \le j \le n } v_j e_j \) ( see 1.11) ... ... "Can someone please demonstrate explicitly and rigorously how it is that the partial differentiability of (ii) is a consequence of (i) and, further, how exactly it is that the formula follows from \(\displaystyle Df(a) \in \text{ Lin} ( \mathbb{R}^n , \mathbb{R}^p )\) and \(\displaystyle v = \sum_{ 1 \le j \le n } v_j e_j\) ... ...
Help will be much appreciated ...

Peter==========================================================================================***NOTE***

It may help readers of the above post to have access to the start of Section "2.3: Directional and Partial Derivatives" ... in order to understand the context and notation of the post ... so I am providing the same ... as follows:
The above post refers to (1.1) so I am providing text relevant to and including (1.1) ... as follows ...Hope that the above notes/text help readers of the post understand the context and notation of the post ...

Peter
Here is an attempt to show \(\displaystyle Df(a) v = \sum_{ 1 \le j \le n } v_j D_j f(a) \ \ \ \ (v \in \mathbb{R}^n ) \)
Now we have ...\(\displaystyle Df(a) v = \begin{pmatrix} D_1 f_1(a) & D_2 f_1(a) & ... & ... & D_n f_1(a) \\ D_1 f_2(a) & D_2 f_2(a) & ... & ... & D_n f_2(a) \\ ... & ... & ... & ... &... \\ ... & ... & ... & ... &... \\ ... & ... & ... & ... &... \\ D_1 f_p(a) & D_2 f_p(a) & ... & ... & D_n f_p(a) \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} v_1 \\ v_2 \\ ... \\ ... \\ ... \\ v_n \end{pmatrix}\)

\(\displaystyle = \begin{pmatrix} D_1 f_1(a) v_1 + D_2 f_1(a) v_2 + \ ... \ ... \ + D_n f_1(a) v_n \\ D_1 f_2(a) v_1 + D_2 f_2(a) v_2 + \ ... \ ... \ + D_n f_2(a) v_n \\ ... \ ... \ ... \ ... \ ... \\ ... \ ... \ ... \ ... \ ... \\ ... \ ... \ ... \ ... \ ... \\ D_1 f_p(a) v_1 + D_2 f_p(a) v_2 + \ ... \ ... \ + D_n f_p(a) v_n \end{pmatrix} \)
Now \(\displaystyle D_j f(a) = D_{e_j} f(a) = D f(a) e_j\) ...

But ... taking (as an example) \(\displaystyle j = 1\) ... ... i.e. \(\displaystyle e_j = e_1\) ... we have

\(\displaystyle D_1 f(a) = D_{ e_1} f(a) = D f(a) e_1 = \begin{pmatrix} D_1 f_1(a) & D_2 f_1(a) & ... & ... & D_n f_1(a) \\ D_1 f_2(a) & D_2 f_2(a) & ... & ... & D_n f_2(a) \\ ... & ... & ... & ... &... \\ ... & ... & ... & ... &... \\ ... & ... & ... & ... &... \\ D_1 f_p(a) & D_2 f_p(a) & ... & ... & D_n f_p(a) \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \\ 0 \\ ... \\ ... \\ ... \\ 0 \end{pmatrix}
\)
\(\displaystyle = \begin{pmatrix} D_1 f_1 (a) \\ D_1 f_2 (a) \\ D_1 f_3 (a) \\ ... \\ ... \\ ... \\ D_1 f_p (a) \end{pmatrix}
\)
\(\displaystyle = D_{ e_1} f(a) = D_1 f(a) \)
... and similar expressions can be derived for \(\displaystyle D_2 f(a), D_3 f(a) , \ ... \ ...\ , \ D_n f(a)\) ...

From the above, it is clear that \(\displaystyle \sum_{ 1 \le j \le n} v_j D_j f(a) = Df(a) v\)

Can someone please confirm that the above is basically correct ...?
Peter

Last edited:
Peter said:
Here is an attempt to show \(\displaystyle Df(a) v = \sum_{ 1 \le j \le n } v_j D_j f(a) \ \ \ \ (v \in \mathbb{R}^n ) \)
Now we have ...\(\displaystyle Df(a) v = \begin{pmatrix} D_1 f_1(a) & D_2 f_1(a) & ... & ... & D_n f_1(a) \\ D_1 f_2(a) & D_2 f_2(a) & ... & ... & D_n f_2(a) \\ ... & ... & ... & ... &... \\ ... & ... & ... & ... &... \\ ... & ... & ... & ... &... \\ D_1 f_p(a) & D_2 f_p(a) & ... & ... & D_n f_p(a) \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} v_1 \\ v_2 \\ ... \\ ... \\ ... \\ v_n \end{pmatrix}\)

\(\displaystyle = \begin{pmatrix} D_1 f_1(a) v_1 + D_2 f_1(a) v_2 + \ ... \ ... \ + D_n f_1(a) v_n \\ D_1 f_2(a) v_1 + D_2 f_2(a) v_2 + \ ... \ ... \ + D_n f_2(a) v_n \\ ... \ ... \ ... \ ... \ ... \\ ... \ ... \ ... \ ... \ ... \\ ... \ ... \ ... \ ... \ ... \\ D_1 f_p(a) v_1 + D_2 f_p(a) v_2 + \ ... \ ... \ + D_n f_p(a) v_n \end{pmatrix} \)
Now \(\displaystyle D_j f(a) = D_{e_j} f(a) = D f(a) e_j\) ...

But ... taking (as an example) \(\displaystyle j = 1\) ... ... i.e. \(\displaystyle e_j = e_1\) ... we have

\(\displaystyle D_1 f(a) = D_{ e_1} f(a) = D f(a) e_1 = \begin{pmatrix} D_1 f_1(a) & D_2 f_1(a) & ... & ... & D_n f_1(a) \\ D_1 f_2(a) & D_2 f_2(a) & ... & ... & D_n f_2(a) \\ ... & ... & ... & ... &... \\ ... & ... & ... & ... &... \\ ... & ... & ... & ... &... \\ D_1 f_p(a) & D_2 f_p(a) & ... & ... & D_n f_p(a) \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \\ 0 \\ ... \\ ... \\ ... \\ 0 \end{pmatrix}
\)
\(\displaystyle = \begin{pmatrix} D_1 f_1 (a) \\ D_1 f_2 (a) \\ D_1 f_3 (a) \\ ... \\ ... \\ ... \\ D_1 f_p (a) \end{pmatrix}
\)
\(\displaystyle = D_{ e_1} f(a) = D_1 f(a) \)
... and similar expressions can be derived for \(\displaystyle D_2 f(a), D_3 f(a) , \ ... \ ...\ , \ D_n f(a)\) ...

From the above, it is clear that \(\displaystyle \sum_{ 1 \le j \le n} v_j D_j f(a) = Df(a) v\)

Can someone please confirm that the above is basically correct ...?
Peter
l will now attempt to, explicitly, complete the demonstration that \(\displaystyle Df(a) v = \sum_{ 1 \le j \le n } v_j D_j f(a) \ \ \ \ (v \in \mathbb{R}^n ) \)In the previous post we have demonstrated that

\(\displaystyle D_1 f(a) = D_{ e_1} f(a) = D f(a) e_1 = \begin{pmatrix} D_1 f_1 (a) \\ D_1 f_2 (a) \\ D_1 f_3 (a) \\ ... \\ ... \\ ... \\ D_1 f_p (a) \end{pmatrix}\)

... ... and in general

\(\displaystyle D_j f(a) = D_{ e_j} f(a) = D f(a) e_j =\begin{pmatrix} D_j f_1 (a) \\ D_j f_2 (a) \\ D_j f_3 (a) \\ ... \\ ... \\ ... \\ D_j f_p (a) \end{pmatrix}\)
So ...\(\displaystyle v_1 D_1 f(a) = v_1 \begin{pmatrix} D_1 f_1 (a) \\ D_1 f_2 (a) \\ D_1 f_3 (a) \\ ... \\ ... \\ ... \\ D_1 f_p (a) \end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix} v_1 D_1 f_1 (a) \\ v_1 D_1 f_2 (a) \\ v_1 D_1 f_3 (a) \\ ... \\ ... \\ ... \\ v_1 D_1 f_p (a) \end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix} D_1 f_1 (a) v_1 \\ D_1 f_2 (a) v_1 \\ D_1 f_3 (a) v_1 \\ ... \\ ... \\ ... \\ D_1 f_p (a) v_1 \end{pmatrix}
\)
and in general ...\(\displaystyle v_j D_j f(a) = \begin{pmatrix} D_j f_1 (a) v_j \\ D_j f_2 (a) v_j \\ D_j f_3 (a) v_j \\ ... \\ ... \\ ... \\ D_1 f_p (a) v_j \end{pmatrix}\)
So ... ...\(\displaystyle \sum_{ 1 \le j \le n } v_j D_j f(a)\) \(\displaystyle = \begin{pmatrix} D_1 f_1 (a) v_1 \\ D_1 f_2 (a) v_1 \\ D_1 f_3 (a) v_1 \\ ... \\ ... \\ ... \\ D_1 f_p (a) v_1 \end{pmatrix} + \begin{pmatrix} D_2 f_1 (a) v_2 \\ D_2 f_2 (a) v_2 \\ D_2 f_3 (a) v_2 \\ ... \\ ... \\ ... \\ D_2 f_p (a) v_2 \end{pmatrix} + \ ... \ ... \ \begin{pmatrix} D_j f_1 (a) v_j \\ D_j f_2 (a) v_j \\ D_j f_3 (a) v_j \\ ... \\ ... \\ ... \\ D_j f_p (a) v_j \end{pmatrix} + \ ... \ ... \ + \begin{pmatrix} D_n f_1 (a) v_n \\ D_n f_2 (a) v_n \\ D_n f_3 (a) v_n \\ ... \\ ... \\ ... \\ D_n f_p (a) v_n \end{pmatrix}
\)

= \(\displaystyle = \begin{pmatrix} D_1 f_1(a) v_1 + D_2 f_1(a) v_2 + \ ... \ ... \ + D_n f_1(a) v_n \\ D_1 f_2(a) v_1 + D_2 f_2(a) v_2 + \ ... \ ... \ + D_n f_2(a) v_n \\ ... \ ... \ ... \ ... \ ... \\ ... \ ... \ ... \ ... \ ... \\ ... \ ... \ ... \ ... \ ... \\ D_1 f_p(a) v_1 + D_2 f_p(a) v_2 + \ ... \ ... \ + D_n f_p(a) v_n \end{pmatrix} \)\(\displaystyle = Df(a) v\)
Can someone please either confirm the above demonstration is correct or point out the errors and shortcomings ...

Peter

Last edited:

Related to Help with D&K Proposition 2.3.2: Directional & Partial Derivatives

What is D&K Proposition 2.3.2?

D&K Proposition 2.3.2 is a mathematical concept that describes the relationship between directional and partial derivatives in multivariate calculus.

Why is D&K Proposition 2.3.2 important?

This proposition is important because it allows us to calculate the directional derivative of a function in any direction, as well as the partial derivatives with respect to each variable.

How do directional and partial derivatives differ?

Directional derivatives measure the rate of change of a function in a specific direction, while partial derivatives measure the rate of change in a specific variable while holding all other variables constant.

What are some real-world applications of D&K Proposition 2.3.2?

D&K Proposition 2.3.2 is used in various fields such as physics, economics, engineering, and finance to model and analyze the behavior of complex systems.

Are there any limitations or assumptions to D&K Proposition 2.3.2?

Yes, D&K Proposition 2.3.2 assumes that the function is continuous and differentiable. It also assumes that the direction of differentiation is constant throughout the domain of the function.