Help with finding the sup and inf

• MHB
  • Thread starter Saitama
  • Start date
In summary, the sequence given has a supremum of 2 and an infemum of $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{1}{2} \end{align*}$.
Saitama
Problem:
Let $\displaystyle S=\left\{1-\frac{(-1)^n}{n}:n\in \mathbb{N}\right\}$. Find $\inf S$ and $\sup S$.

Attempt:
I know the problem is quite easy and the answers are very obvious but I need help with writing down a proof for it and I am really bad at writing such proofs.

The best I could come up with was to divide the given set into two subsets. First set comprises of elements (I am not sure if this is the right word) when $n=2k$ ($S_1$) and the other for $n=2k-1$ ($S_{2n-1}$) for $k\in\mathbb{N}$. i.e
$$S_1=\left\{1-\frac{1}{2k}:k\in \mathbb{N}\right\}$$
and
$$S_2=\left\{1+\frac{1}{2k-1}:k\in\mathbb{N}\right\}$$
Now it is obvious that $\sup S$ is in $S_2$ and $\inf S$ is in $S_1$. It is easy to see that both $\sup S$ and $\inf S$ occur when $k=1$.

But how do I write down a "proof"? :confused:

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Pranav!

I would write:

Proof
$$\forall n \in \mathbb N: 1-\frac{(-1)^2}{2} \le 1 - \frac{(-1)^n}{n} \le 1 - \frac{(-1)^1}{1}$$
Equalities are achieved for $n=1$ respectively $n=2$.
Therefore $\inf S = \frac 12$ and $\sup S = 2$.

Pranav said:
Problem:
Let $\displaystyle S=\left\{1-\frac{(-1)^n}{n}:n\in \mathbb{N}\right\}$. Find $\inf S$ and $\sup S$.

Attempt:
I know the problem is quite easy and the answers are very obvious but I need help with writing down a proof for it and I am really bad at writing such proofs.

The best I could come up with was to divide the given set into two subsets. First set comprises of elements (I am not sure if this is the right word) when $n=2k$ ($S_1$) and the other for $n=2k-1$ ($S_{2n-1}$) for $k\in\mathbb{N}$. i.e
$$S_1=\left\{1-\frac{1}{2k}:k\in \mathbb{N}\right\}$$
and
$$S_2=\left\{1+\frac{1}{2k-1}:k\in\mathbb{N}\right\}$$
Now it is obvious that $\sup S$ is in $S_2$ and $\inf S$ is in $S_1$. It is easy to see that both $\sup S$ and $\inf S$ occur when $k=1$.

But how do I write down a "proof"? :confused:

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

For starters, sometimes a supremum is called the "least upper bound", which is the smallest value that can be used as a ceiling for your sequence, and sometimes an infemum is called the "greatest lower bound", which is the largest value that can be used as the floor.

For starters, I would write $\displaystyle \begin{align*} 1 - \frac{ \left( -1 \right) ^n }{n} = 1 + \frac{\left( -1 \right) ^{n+1}}{n} \end{align*}$

I also like to write down a few terms to determine the behaviour of the function. To do this, a start is to write down the first few terms of the sequence. For simplicity I'll leave out the +1...

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \left\{ \frac{ \left( -1 \right) ^{n + 1}}{n} \right\} = \left\{ 1, -\frac{1}{2}, \frac{1}{3}, -\frac{1}{4}, \dots \right\} \end{align*}$

It should be obvious that the terms decrease in magnitude (mainly because $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{1}{n + 1} < \frac{1}{n} \end{align*}$. Thus the supremum of this is 1 and the infemum is $\displaystyle \begin{align*} -\frac{1}{2} \end{align*}$.

So for your sequence $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \left\{ 1 + \frac{ \left( -1 \right) ^{n + 1}}{n} \right\} \end{align*}$ has a supremum of 2 and an infemum of $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{1}{2} \end{align*}$.

Related to Help with finding the sup and inf

1. What is the definition of sup and inf?

The sup (supremum) of a set is the smallest upper bound of that set, while the inf (infimum) is the largest lower bound of the set.

2. How do you find the sup and inf of a set?

To find the sup and inf of a set, you need to first arrange the elements in the set in ascending order. The sup will be the last element in the set, while the inf will be the first element.

3. Can the sup and inf be the same number?

No, the sup and inf cannot be the same number. The sup is always greater than or equal to all the elements in the set, while the inf is always less than or equal to all the elements in the set.

4. Is it possible for a set to have no sup or inf?

Yes, it is possible for a set to have no sup or inf. This occurs when the set is unbounded, meaning there is no largest or smallest element in the set.

5. Why are sup and inf important in mathematics?

The sup and inf are important in mathematics because they help us define upper and lower limits of a set. They are used in various mathematical concepts, such as limits, continuity, and convergence. They also have practical applications in fields like economics and engineering.