Highest useful Fahrenheit temperature?

In summary: I don't know... Kelvins?In summary, the conversation discusses the usefulness of Fahrenheit equivalents for temperatures outside the range of -40°F to 1000°F. Some points are made about the standard use of Celsius internationally and the differences in temperature scales between countries. The conversation also touches on the use of Fahrenheit in domestic USA and the need for conversions in scientific papers. It is suggested that there is no point in including Fahrenheit conversions outside of the -40°F to 1000°F range, but others argue that it may still be useful for the general public. Finally, the conversation raises the question of when it is appropriate to switch from using degrees Celsius to Kelvins.
hutchphd said:
I will add my usual plea for the preservation of the Fahrenheit scale . It is actually defined on humanist values. We are creatures made of saline solution. We will freeze solid at 0F We will be unpleasantly hot at 100F because we optimize at 98.6F. A good temperature is 70F...it is a passing score...
There is nothing to recommend the Celcius scale except ubiquity.
We represent a last bastion of Temperature Sanity on the planet.
Fahrenheit Forever.
Time is now to read about the development of the Fahrenheit Scale. Decide on each's own how much sense that makes. Celsius scale is based on water's freeze-melt point and boil point.

Likes hutchphd
Engineering news on Phys.org
symbolipoint said:
Not absolutely clear how was the seriousness of your comment.
Well, I Googled it and it didn't even show up in Urban Dictionary, so colour me stumped. (Aren't you an Ozzie or something? :wink: )

symbolipoint said:
symbolipoint said:
You'll need to understand what this really means. Not directly telling, but I would cut the character size to 4, and the characters number 3 and number 4 are identical consonants. Your expected human intelligence, and enough familiarity with English will help you see what "Hoockle" was meant to be. Not absolutely clear how was the seriousness of your comment.

Decide if you are or are not in favor of effective communication.
Well I think I’ve chosen the opposite of you.

Thread is locked for Mentor review...

Thread closed.

Likes Tom.G and russ_watters