How can I generate a negative supply voltage for an Opamp?

In summary, you need a 220Vac brick to make +15V, and then use an inverting DC-DC circuit to make -15V, followed by a low-dropout linear negative regulator to make about -13Vdc with low noise.
goodphy
Hello.

I really don't get a concept of a way to generates negative voltage as a one of the supply voltage to typical OP-AMP. (Operational Amplifier)

The output voltages is supposed to swing to more than 10 V thus supply voltages to OP-AMP should be +15V and -15V.

I'm thinking of supply these voltages from typical 220 VAC home power line.

Could you please give me some ideas? The basic concept of generating negative voltage or simple way of doing this job would be either helpful for me.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Have you tried searching the web for such a supply? There are many ways of getting what you want but the details of what you are trying to accomplish will determine what is needed to get the proper voltages, currents, and noise levels.

BoB

goodphy said:
Hello.

I really don't get a concept of a way to generates negative voltage as a one of the supply voltage to typical OP-AMP. (Operational Amplifier)

The output voltages is supposed to swing to more than 10 V thus supply voltages to OP-AMP should be +15V and -15V.

I'm thinking of supply these voltages from typical 220 VAC home power line.

Could you please give me some ideas? The basic concept of generating negative voltage or simple way of doing this job would be either helpful for me.

Unless you have a *lot* of EE experience, you should not be trying to build projects that involve tapping off of the AC Mains supply. It is best to start with an SELV power source (safety extra low voltage, typically less than 60V). You can buy safety-approved "brick" power supplies that plug into the AC Mains and give you a safe voltage you can use to power your project.

So for this project, I would start with a 220Vac brick to make +15V, and then use an inverting DC-DC circuit to make -15V, followed by a low-dropout linear negative regulator to make about -13Vdc with low noise. You could also use a positive low-dropout (LDO) regulator to make a +13V that has low ripple and noise. What kind of power supply noise tolerance does your opamp circuit have?

I think you are looking for an isolated DC to DC converter with +15V, 0V and -15V outputs. You may get away with +/-12V with newer design op-amps.
You will need to check the input voltage range to suit your DC source and the output currents you require.
Here is a link to a selection table. It is the Australian page of a US supplier. Scroll down to see devices.
http://www.digikey.com.au/product-search/en?FV=fff40042,fff800df,1c0008,1140050,15c0003,2dc1bff,17d4002c,17d40096,17d80006,17d80016&mnonly=0&newproducts=0&ColumnSort=1000011&page=1&stock=0&pbfree=0&rohs=0&quantity=&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=25

Likes goodphy
When you want to swing 10V do you mean +-10V or 10 V total (+-5V)? This is important for device selection because with modern rail to rail op amps you get to within a volt or two of the rail at full spec and then get lower spec from there to the actual rail. Older devices might need several volts to not malfunction completely.

Even a 741 will be able to get +-5V out of +-12V rails without even sweating but won't be able to do +-10V well if at all. Then you need to consider PSRR for crappy ebay power supplies and then you need LDO's as berkeman suggests and it all goes pear shaped from there.

All of these considerations may be moot if the requirements are lax.

BoB

Hi,

You need a lab DC source and two to be exact which you can get on ebay. You can construct your own, but that is a project in itself, so you're better on buying a dual source one of which you can connect in a opposite manner to create the negative rail.

Alternately you can connect the negative terminal to ground and use a single supply op amp if you can get away with it in your application if the need for a bipolar output isn't a must.

Likes goodphy

Related to How can I generate a negative supply voltage for an Opamp?

1. How can I generate a negative supply voltage for an Opamp?

The most common way to generate a negative supply voltage for an Opamp is by using a voltage inverter circuit. This circuit uses a combination of capacitors and diodes to invert the polarity of a positive voltage source, creating a negative voltage output. This negative voltage can then be used as the supply for the Opamp.

2. Can I use a battery as a negative supply voltage for an Opamp?

Yes, it is possible to use a battery as a negative supply voltage for an Opamp. However, this may not be the most efficient or reliable method as batteries can drain quickly and their voltage output can fluctuate. It is recommended to use a voltage inverter circuit or a regulated power supply for a more stable negative voltage supply.

3. What is the purpose of using a negative supply voltage for an Opamp?

An Opamp typically requires both positive and negative supply voltages to function properly. The negative supply voltage helps to create a balanced power supply for the Opamp, allowing it to amplify both positive and negative input signals accurately. It also helps to prevent any distortion or clipping of the output signal.

4. Can I generate a negative supply voltage from a single positive supply voltage?

Yes, it is possible to generate a negative supply voltage from a single positive supply voltage using a voltage inverter circuit or a charge pump circuit. These circuits use different methods to invert the polarity of the input voltage and create a negative output voltage. However, the negative voltage output may not be as stable or reliable as using a dedicated negative voltage supply.

5. Are there any risks or precautions to consider when generating a negative supply voltage for an Opamp?

One potential risk is damaging the Opamp if the negative voltage supply is not stable or if there is a voltage spike. It is important to use a regulated power supply or a well-designed voltage inverter circuit to ensure the negative voltage supply is within the recommended range. It is also recommended to use proper grounding techniques to avoid any potential ground loop issues.