How can I get my Pi 3 to work in a vacuum?

In summary, the Raspberry Pi 3 shuts off when the temperature drops to around -30 degrees Celsius. The problem may be due to the lack of cooling or the SD card.
FlimFlam
Im trying to do some data logging, using a raspberry pi 3 would be super easy as it has a built in WiFi and Bluetooth receiver as well as an SD card. However when the vacuum gets to about -30inHg the Pi shuts off and the red light starts flashing as if there is no OS. Temperatures arent crazy high but I don't see why this is happening.

Computer science news on Phys.org
FlimFlam said:
Im trying to do some data logging, using a raspberry pi 3 would be super easy as it has a built in WiFi and Bluetooth receiver as well as an SD card. However when the vacuum gets to about -30inHg the Pi shuts off and the red light starts flashing as if there is no OS. Temperatures arent crazy high but I don't see why this is happening.
It is probably overheating. There is no convection meaning there is virtually no cooling.
Could you somehow thermally link the microprocessor to say the metal walls of the vacuum chamber?

Likes Vanadium 50, DaveE, FactChecker and 2 others
f95toli said:
It is probably overheating. There is no convection meaning there is virtually no cooling.
Could you somehow thermally link the microprocessor to say the metal walls of the vacuum chamber?
I don't know if temperature sensors get messed up, but the web interface says the processor is at 92F before this happens. I could attach a heatsink to the processor and the walls of the chamber.

For the same reason you can't move heat off the chip, you can't move it to the sensor. This is almost certainly a cooling problem, and you need to do what f95toli said.

FlimFlam said:
the processor is at 92F before this happens.

If that is the core junction temperature then it is something else overheating. Maybe the power supply?

BoB

rbelli1 said:
If that is the core junction temperature then it is something else overheating. Maybe the power supply?

BoB
Well I'm powering it from mains current trough USB. The power supply isn't inside the chamber.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

rbelli1 said:
If that is the core junction temperature then it is something else overheating.
If it can produce an error message of a kind, then the CPU is working.

I think it will be the SD-card, since that's the one with the OS.

However, I would not rule out that it is something caused by the missing pressure. Some micro-SD cards are sealed but not filled, so it might deform.

Rive said:
FlimFlam said:
but the web interface says the processor is at 92F before this happens
(emphasis mine)

Can't see the point, sorry.
According to the OP:
FlimFlam said:
However when the vacuum gets to about -30inHg the Pi shuts off and the red light starts flashing as if there is no OS.
So AFTER 'this' happens the CPU is still working since it can produce an error message of a kind.

Rive said:
So AFTER 'this' happens the CPU is still working since it can produce an error message of a kind.

This does not mean anything; microprocessors tend to have separate "watchdog" circuitry built in that monitors the actual CPU and shuts it down if discovers that it is about to overheat (more complicated watchdogs can be used to e.g. turn a sleeping CPU back on it detects that a key been pressed)

Hence, it is perfectly possible for e.g. a LED to blink while the actual CPU is completely turned off.

There are motherboards with LEDs that blink if the CPU isn't there at all.

Onboard watchdog or service chips usually does not check the availability of the OS. (Except some server boards, but that level of stuff gives you a serial terminal and tells you exactly where the problem is.)

If the OP is right with his statement that it's flashing like no OS present, then that flash is a quite good indication of the still working CPU.

Rive said:

I think it will be the SD-card, since that's the one with the OS.

However, I would not rule out that it is something caused by the missing pressure. Some micro-SD cards are sealed but not filled, so it might deform.
Ive never had a problem with an SD card before. I use an SD camera and it works perfectly.
Rive said:
Onboard watchdog or service chips usually does not check the availability of the OS. (Except some server boards, but that level of stuff gives you a serial terminal and tells you exactly where the problem is.)

If the OP is right with his statement that it's flashing like no OS present, then that flash is a quite good indication of the still working CPU.
Raspberry pi stays in post code if it doesn't detect an OS> I've tried 3 different SD cards and still can't find the issue.

FlimFlam said:
Raspberry pi stays in post code if it doesn't detect an OS...
Just out of curiosity I've tried to find something about the 'flashing red' and R-pi, but practically every source takes this as a far more basic (indeed: low level watchdog/supervisory class) error like missing or low power or such. Although these sources were not directly about R-pi 3, but none of them connected any red flashing to missing OS. Are you sure what you see has this meaning?

The most interesting source I found were blaming the polyfuse on the incoming power line to malfunction at slightly higher than average temperatures, resulting in a voltage drop and insufficient voltage feed for the onboard PSU, triggering an undervoltage error (error LED flashing red). However, the CPU is expected to be fine up to 70-80 C core temperature, far higher than mere 92F.

Is this just the usual PF quibbling? Or has someone else actually worked with electronics in vacuum, and has reason to suspect that the overheating answer is wrong?

Likes CalcNerd
Vanadium 50 said:
has reason to suspect that the overheating answer is wrong?
The suspected component had a temperature measurement (92F) far below the known limits (over 200F).
By my comprehension in such situation to blindly push for more cooling of the mentioned component is the exact case of the 'law of the hammer'.

I don't know about quibble.

Is there any vibration from the pump (or airflow) that might be causing an intermittent connection problem? Try a vibration test. Also, check any power connections to it in the test stand. Other than that, if it works reliably when it's not in the test stand, I would suspect a cooling problem as others have suggested.

Try heating it to the same temperature out of the chamber to see if it behaves the same?

FlimFlam said:
Not sure what you are interested in, but here's a link that with it's 207 pages, might answer or give a clue about how the Pi-3 is different from what is used in space (or vacuum conditions)

http://snebulos.mit.edu/projects/reference/International-Space-Station/SSP30312RH.pdf

Vanadium 50 said:
Is this just the usual PF quibbling? Or has someone else actually worked with electronics in vacuum, and has reason to suspect that the overheating answer is wrong?
This is years late, I know. Your convection comment is spot on. I work in vacuum often and this is a common challenge. 🤓

So hoe does one fix this? A thermal pad connected to a block of copper that pipes the heat out to where there is air? (Or my preferred solution - put the Pi ouside and run any cables through feed-throughs.)

Vanadium 50 said:
So hoe does one fix this? A thermal pad connected to a block of copper that pipes the heat out to where there is air? (Or my preferred solution - put the Pi ouside and run any cables through feed-throughs.)
I'd start with a microcontroller with a lot lower thermal demand: if a Pi Zero W is still too hot then ditch the wireless, you've already got power running in so add data, the more copper you have attached to the thing the better. Or maybe try a Seeed XIAO.

Then yes, thermal coupling to something: with a sensibly low powered board I'd be surprised if you need to go to the outside, unless the walls of the chamber are not thermally conductive.

Related to How can I get my Pi 3 to work in a vacuum?

1. How can I get my Pi 3 to work in a vacuum?

The first step is to ensure that all components of your Pi 3 are vacuum-rated. This means they can withstand the low pressure of a vacuum without breaking or malfunctioning. You can check the specifications of each component to see if they are suitable for use in a vacuum.

2. Do I need to make any modifications to my Pi 3 to use it in a vacuum?

Yes, you will likely need to make some modifications to your Pi 3 in order for it to function properly in a vacuum. This may include adding additional insulation or changing the cooling system to account for the lack of air flow.

3. How does a vacuum affect the performance of my Pi 3?

A vacuum can greatly impact the performance of your Pi 3 as it removes the air that is needed for heat transfer and cooling. This can cause the components to overheat and potentially damage them. Additionally, the lack of air can affect the electronics and cause errors or malfunctions.

4. Are there any precautions I should take when using my Pi 3 in a vacuum?

Yes, it is important to take certain precautions when using your Pi 3 in a vacuum. This includes carefully monitoring the temperature and ensuring that the vacuum rating of all components is maintained. It is also important to avoid any sudden changes in pressure that could damage the Pi 3.

5. Can I use my Pi 3 in a vacuum for an extended period of time?

While it is possible to use your Pi 3 in a vacuum for an extended period of time, it is not recommended. The lack of air and potential for overheating can greatly reduce the lifespan of your Pi 3 and may cause permanent damage. It is best to use your Pi 3 in a vacuum only when necessary and for short periods of time.