How can I restore an antique table without completely refinishing it?

• Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Table
In summary, the conversation discusses a recently purchased antique table made of solid wood with a worn top. The person is looking for advice on how to fix it up without completely refinishing it. Options such as oiling or applying a layer of clear lacquer or paint are considered, but it is advised to gently clean and oil the table to give it the best chance for preservation. The table holds sentimental value and will be used for placing a large plant on top.
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Today I bought this really cute little antique table made out of solid wood. The top however is in poor condition, the finish is worn through in many places. The rest of the table is fine, what is the best way to fix it up?

I don't want to refinish the whole thing, I like to keep the original finish. Does it make sense to just oil the top? Or would that be a disaster if I'd decide in the future to refinish it? Would it make sense to apply a layer of clear lacquer / paint instead? The last photo shows the transition of finished vs bare wood from the inside drawer.

IMG_1312.JPG
IMG_1308.JPG
IMG_1314.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1308.JPG
    IMG_1308.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 410
Likes edward
Physics news on Phys.org
Looking at the weight and finish work, it is not YET fine furniture. If you add another finish of lacquer or paint (heaven forbid) then it will never be fine furniture. As solid wood construction becomes rarer, your piece may become fine, so I would gently clean it, rub out the worst of the spots and rings and oil it. Give it the best chance that it can have.

Likes edward
Thanks for the advice, the woman I bought if from said it was in her family for a long time and with an aching heart she had to get rid of it (husband thought it didn't fit with the furniture). I'm not expecting it to be fine furniture, even though I like the construction and details. The table will be used to put a big plant on, so the top doesn't worry me that much. Your words are spot on: I'd like to give it the best chance that it can have.

Likes edward

Related to How can I restore an antique table without completely refinishing it?

1. How do I determine if my table is an antique?

To determine if your table is an antique, you can look for certain characteristics such as hand-crafted details, patina or signs of aging, and the type of wood used. You can also do some research on the history and design of your table to see if it aligns with the time period of antiques.

2. What is the best way to strip the old finish off an antique table?

The best way to strip the old finish off an antique table is to use a chemical stripper specifically designed for wood. Be sure to follow the instructions carefully and work in a well-ventilated area. For tougher finishes, you may need to use a scraper or steel wool to remove all the old finish.

3. Can I change the color of the wood when refinishing an antique table?

Yes, you can change the color of the wood when refinishing an antique table. However, keep in mind that altering the original color of the wood may decrease the value of the antique. If you do decide to change the color, make sure to use a stain or dye specifically made for wood and test it on a small, inconspicuous area first.

4. How can I protect the wood when refinishing an antique table?

To protect the wood when refinishing an antique table, you can use a clear coat of varnish, lacquer, or polyurethane after staining the wood. These sealants will help protect the wood from scratches, spills, and other damage. Be sure to apply multiple thin coats for the best results.

5. Is it better to hire a professional or DIY when refinishing an antique table?

This ultimately depends on your level of skill and comfort with refinishing furniture. If you are unsure about the process or have a valuable antique table, it may be best to hire a professional to ensure it is done correctly. However, if you have experience with refinishing and feel confident in your abilities, you can save money by doing it yourself.