Woodworking: How I Built My Own End Tables from Scratch

• Thread starter gjonesy
  • Start date
In summary: Next I cut the front and rear legs at 13 5/8'' and 16 5/8'', I also cut (2) 1 1/2'' x 1 1/2'' at...13 5/8'' and 16 5/8''.Next, I cut the drawer front and back at...20x17 3/8''.Next, I cut the drawer sides at...19 1/2''x 3 1/2'' and the drawer face at...17 3/8''x 5 1/2''.Then, I glued and nailed the drawer fronts and backs to the front and rear legs.Then, I glued
gjonesy
I started this topic to introduce one of my hobbies which is woodworking, and so that others can also showcase their skills, abilities and builds. It doesn't have to be just woodwork, this can include projects, electronics, metal fabrication, mechanical ect. Just include all your steps math and chemistry and science or whatever went into your creation along with all the blood sweat and tears. In my post, I will include all measurements, dimensions, materials, hardware, methods, tools, along with tips tricks, problems "and solutions" I came up with along the way. I will include pictures of tools some of the math and all that went into my manufacturing process with photos of my project in the raw...and after that a completely finished work of art.

The start,
It all started with a trip to a furniture store and my Girl friend had a hard time trying to to select a set of end tables to go with the couch and recliner we purchased. I made the casual comment that " I could build a set better then any they have in here" all of which were over priced for what they were, (assembly line particle board tables with fake vinyl veneer on top. The few "real wood pieces they had were outrageously priced. She said ok build me some, me and my big mouth..lol

Well now I had to deliver so we went to the hardware store up the street and began the martial and hardware selection process.
I began by envisioning a basic design in my head. I pictured a simple table with a drawer and a magazine rack on the bottom.

The material:
So I purchased 8 premade wooden legs, 1, 4'x11 1/2''x 3/4'' pine 1, 4'x17 3/8" x 3/4 inch piece of raw project grade pine. 1 piece of 4'x 22" x 3/4, 16'x3 1/2" x 3/4" pine blank, 16' x 5 1/2" x 3/4" pine blank, 4, 1 1/2''x1 1/2"x 8' a few 3/8" dowel rods a few 5/16" dowel rods. 2 brass handles and 4 18" drawer slides. 150 grit sand paper 200 grit sandpaper L brackets straight brackets, wood screws, stain, polyurethane, foam brushes, stainable wood glue, stainable wood filler, finishing nails and a 12 pack of cokezero cause I was in for the long hall at this point.

The tools:
I did this all in our sun room which is a small space but just large enough for a couple of saw bucks and my power tools. I used a Jigsaw, a circular saw, a hand drill, a wood router, and an elliptical sander "jitter bug". Hand tools: combination square, carpenters square, calipers, tape measure hammer nail punch putty knife, utility knife, pliers, screwdrivers

The cuts:
First I had to cut the legs to size because the were pre made for other type projects I had to cut them down to meet my needs. I had (8) legs to cut all uneven surfaces and they all had to be reasonably square and I have NO TABLE SAW. Hummm...I was a welder fabricator at one time so I did what a fabricator does, I made a jig..lol. The legs were 28 inches long an meant to screw directly into a table top. My tables had to be 26 inches period from floor to top. so I jigs up my legs to cut them at 22" taking off only 5 15/16" inches, I did not take into consideration the thickness of the wood and miscalculated 9 inches lol. Plus the legs were a slight bit off square to begin with, so cutting more off wasn't a problem. Then I cut the tops, I would have liked them to be 24''x 22'' but I only had 4 feet so I cut them (2) 23 15/16"x 22" got to allow for your blade width. I then cut (2) drawer cabinet bottoms which I made at 20x17 3/8". (4) cabinet sides 20''x5 1/2'' and (2) cabinet backs 15 1/8'' x5 1/2''. I cut the drawer it self out of (2) ,11 1/2'' x 18'' the 3 1/2'' sides I cut (4) 19 1/2''x 3 1/2'' and (4) 11 1/2''x 3 1/2'' and the drawer face I cut out (2) 17 3/8''X 5 1/2''
I trimmed the cabinet bottom with (4) 3 1/2'' x 20'' and (4) 3 1/2'' x 18 7/8''

"remember my blue print is in my head not on paper and I'm doing most of the math in my head, I am actually writing this at work from memory"

Lay out :
I started with the base and traced the legs which were octagonal in shape on the end, and finding the center point which was 13 5/8'' on center for the front and rear and 16 5/8'' on center for both sides. so I cut (4) 1 1/2'' x 1 1/2'' x 14 1/2'' pieces for structural side support and (4) 12 1/2'' piece for the front and rear (8) 1 1/2'' x 1 1/2'' x 5 1/2'' structural for the inside cabinet support...(yes its over kill but I built them to withstand my children's, children's, children's, abuse...or...who knows when you might have to use an end table that can support a small truck...lol)

The build:
I first constructed the base for the cabinet and framed it with the 3 1/2'' pine and routed a beveled edge on both sides for trim work. Using finishing nails and 5/16" dowel rod.
I then attached the legs to the base, using (4) L brackets and 1/2" long screws glue and 3/8" dowel rod. I also put a finishing nail and long wood screw through the top of the base. Problem, That's when I realized they would be much to tall and there was and an error in calculation, Solution (got out the pen and paper and did some refiguring) and the balls on the end of the legs were just the right length to remove and make them the right height. Since the legs were machined and segmented unless you seen the legs as they were as one whole piece, you'd never know the difference.
After securing the legs I built the cabinet separate with the 1 1/2'' x 1 1/2'' supports and the 5 1/2'' pine. I cut 2 more pieces of 1/12'' x 1 1/2'' stock 2 1/2 '' long to add horizontally at the bottom of the cabinet to help attach it and act as (guide for the drawer) then used (4) L brackets to attach the cabinet to the base along with glue and dowel rod.
I then built the drawer out of the 11 1/2'' and framed it with the 3 1/2'' pieces of pine. I then attached the drawer glides to the base and mounted the drawer to the glides. After fitting I took the 20'' x 17 3/8'' x 5 1/2'' piece and routed a beveled edge around the piece for the drawer face then clamped and glued to the drawer. then I measured for the center from top to bottom and side to side...the handles are 3'' on center from the middle of the drawer. (The trick, locate and mount the glides to the drawer first, put the drawer in the cabinet and pull the slide out to the first screw hole...I used pennies as spacers once I knew the drawer was straight I pulled it out to the next mounting point). Easy peasy.

Finally I mount the table top, I just center it on the drawer cabinet and finish nailed and glued it in place, I then located the center of each of the cabinet supports and drilled 3/8'' dowel pegs to secure it. Then I routed the beveled edge on top.

The finishing touch: I took the left over 3 1/2'' pieces and some 9 12'' x 3/4'' long pine scrap I had and made a magazine shelf in the shape of an capital "I" with the grain running in 2 different directions I dowel pegged and glued those pieces together then beveled them also. I attached them to the legs located 3'' from the floor, Tip (when working with wood making tables if the legs are "splayed" and things are a little out of square adding trim or a magazine shelf can square it up for you plus its a nice decorative touch with a purpose.) I'll add more pictures after staining and poly.
20160424_223715.jpg
20160424_224308.jpg
20160424_223715.jpg
20160424_224308.jpg

Last edited:
Likes nitsuj, Aufbauwerk 2045, StevieTNZ and 9 others
Physics news on Phys.org
The tools

Attachments

• 20160425_170901.jpg
    20160425_170901.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 420
Likes ProfuselyQuarky
Wow, a lot of PFers appear to be woodworkers . . . nice job, gjonesy! :smile:

I'll really like to see it once it's stained!

Likes gjonesy
The staining happens tonight.:smile:

For some reason all my picture didnt upload...did most of the typing at work but had all the pictures on my phone. Must be my crappie LG

gjonesy said:
... one of my hobbies which is woodworking ...
Me too.
bowl composite.jpg

Likes nitsuj, Aufbauwerk 2045, StevieTNZ and 11 others
phinds said:
Me too.
Wow...nice colorful work. Very detailed as well.

20160425_181448.jpg
20160425_181433.jpg
drawer and hardware...wiping them down for staining now.
WEBPAGE_20160227_231101.jpg
my helper lol
20151007_164118-1.jpg
me

Likes Sophia and ProfuselyQuarky
Cool, very cool! (that includes you pic, too :-p)

Likes gjonesy
Will do phinds. Btw i love the intricate carving on that first peice...got to have skill and precision to do that...well done!

One stained one to go...i,ll post both pieces when they are complete

Attachments

• 20160425_200804.jpg
    20160425_200804.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 425
You will notice the legs are a bit darker then the rest. Its actually a different wood and its very porous...Tip you can use a solvent to lighten stain. I used googone but you can uae alcohol, acetone or lacquer thinner to lighten stain. Or you can thin up your stain before application. There is also a woodworkers trick called "doping" 3 parts water and one part wood glue...simply whipe on the porous material or end grain and let dry, it won't absorb as much stain. :smile:

@phinds, I am very impressed by your designs, you must have good understanding of geometry and math to create such masterful works. What all goes into creating a piece? It also takes a good understanding of the types of wood and grains you are turning on a lathe.

gjonesy said:
@phinds, I am very impressed by your designs, you must have good understanding of geometry and math to create such masterful works. What all goes into creating a piece? It also takes a good understanding of the types of wood and grains you are turning on a lathe.
Thanks, but it's actually probably a bit more random than you think for most of them. Over time I just figured out what works well and what doesn't. A lot of it is just trial and error.

Likes gjonesy and Pepper Mint
phinds said:
Thanks, but it's actually probably a bit more random than you think for most of them. Over time I just figured out what works well and what doesn't. A lot of it is just trial and error.

That's the hall mark of a master craftsman (you know what works). But I must admit if I hadn't spent years as a welder fabricator learning the trade, I wouldn't be able to visualize a piece in my head and just build it. Most people can't comprehend looking at a tree and seeing a end table or bowl. You can. If I hadn't spent years cutting metal stock, laying out patterns for cutting and center punching holes, building jigs I wouldn't be able to walk through a hardware store and just know what I need to build a cabinet a table a dresser an armoire.

Likes Pepper Mint
gjonesy said:
The tools
No lathe? How did you make the legs?

dlgoff said:
Pardon, but what's a lathe?

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
dlgoff said:
See Lathe
That's a fine tool right there, that lathe. Reminds me of the thing used to peel apples for pie :smile:

I like pie but homemade pie on a homemade table made with a lathe is much better, I daresay!

Likes 1oldman2 and dlgoff
Nice work; with the tools you used.

Likes gjonesy
gjonesy said:
So I purchased 8 premade wooden legs, pine
Oh, that's just plain cheating! :biggrin:

The tools:
I did this all in our sun room which is a small space but just large enough for a couple of saw bucks and my power tools. I used a Jigsaw, a circular saw, a hand drill, a wood router, and an elliptical sander "jitter bug". Hand tools: combination square, carpenters square, calipers, tape measure hammer nail punch putty knife, utility knife, pliers, screwdrivers
What? No SCMS? :-p

BTW, you might enjoy this woodwork forum. Vast amounts of good information and advice.

Likes gjonesy
Great work looks pretty good

Likes gjonesy
dlgoff said:

Actually I used way more than what's pictured, for some reason they all wouldn't up load.

dlgoff said:

I purchased them premade and I can't see how they would have been "lathed", the legs are octagonal in shape so they were probably milled. I did have to do a lot of fitting because that set of legs came from the store at 28". The wood is slightly more porous then I expected also, I talked to a friend of mine who is a woodworking teacher and he said they were probably ash. They soaked up stain like end grain.

dlgoff said:

I had a very good set of shop tools at one time when I was married, (Table saw, band saw drill press ect), after the separation I stored them at my fathers house and they were stolen. Over the years I've had to buy a tool here and there to do home repair. and once I had enough hand power tools I began doing little projects like shelves and racks. Once I boasted I could make some good end tables I had to deliver. Its like my old shop foreman use to say sometimes you got to work with what you got.:smile:

Likes 1oldman2
strangerep said:
What? No SCMS? :-p

I actually had the chance to buy a wood printer for less than 1,000 bucks but I just didn't have the cash at the time...lol

gjonesy said:
I had a very good set of shop tools at one time when I was married, (Table saw, band saw drill press ect), after the separation I stored them at my fathers house and they were stolen.
Oh, I'm genuinely sorry to hear that! In my previous life I had a reasonably complete workshop full of tools, but had to give them away as my health deteriorated and I downsized my circumstances. Even that form of voluntary loss made me sad and depressed. Can't imagine how I'd feel if tools were stolen. Must be horrible.

As a lesson in life to myself, I've been surprised how much I identified with my tool collection. :confused: :frown:

Likes 1oldman2 and gjonesy
strangerep said:
Oh, I'm genuinely sorry to hear that! In my previous life I had a reasonably complete workshop full of tools, but had to give them away as my health deteriorated and I downsized my circumstances. Even that form of voluntary loss made me sad and depressed. Can't imagine how I'd feel if tools were stolen. Must be horrible.

As a lesson in life to myself, I've been surprised how much I identified with my tool collection. :confused: :frown:

I know what you mean...i have heard it said that a man is only as good as the tools he has to work with...my father would say a good man can get the job done with what ever he has to work with. It never occurred to me that the latter carried greater meaning until i lost it all. Not just because my father said it, but because its applicable to every situation. The tools in a tool box (ever how many you happen to have) as long as you have the will and determination to use them are enough to get the job done. Whether you're building a table or a life. You can apply that to actual tools or intelligence. Use what you have :smile:

P.S. I say that with sincerity and respect...i know what its like to be in poor health also, i was injured at work doing my job. 3 months later my now ex wife had an afair and wanted to separate 2 days after that my father died, I was homeless, lost my family, my father basically my life. Only things i had were my clothes and belongings. And i kept on losing until i made up my mind that i wasn't going to let it beat me. Within one year i owned a home, i paid off my car and was back to work. I still deal with cronic pain i just choose to do the best i can.

Last edited:
Likes ProfuselyQuarky, Borg and 1oldman2
@gjonesy : Geez. :)) Dunno what to say.

I must try to remember your situation whenever I'm tempted to whinge about mine.

strangerep said:
I must try to remember your situation whenever I'm tempted to whinge about mine.

I volunteered that information, because I can totally relate to your situation. And I am truly sorry that you have had to deal with health issues. But I have read some of your post, I wish I knew as much about science and math as you do. You still have tools they are just different then mine. :smile:

edit: Those tools of knowledge, are a great thing to have, the wonderful thing about them, is you never have to worry about lending them out and not getting them returned, you always get a return on that.

Last edited:
Likes strangerep and ProfuselyQuarky
gjonesy said:
Within one year i owned a home, i paid off my car and was back to work. I still deal with cronic pain i just choose to do the best i can.
Cheers for gjonesy! :smile:

Likes gjonesy and strangerep
ProfuselyQuarky said:
Cheers for gjonesy!

Thank you ProfuselyQuarky. :smile:

Update

One down...one to go

Attachments

• 1462071785338.jpg
    1462071785338.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 332
  • 20160501_000829.jpg