How can i speed up a 20:1 worm gear

• Thread starter TheCollector
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gear Speed
In summary, to lower the ratio of a 20:1 worm gear, you can either reduce the pitch of the worm gear or increase the number of teeth on the spur. However, if the gear being used is a small, half inch gear with only 20 teeth, the only available worm is 48 pitch. It may be possible to find alternative options on other sites such as SDP-SI, but additional information such as part numbers and the potential use of bevel gears will need to be considered.
TheCollector
i have a 20:1 worm gear but would like to lower the ratio as much as possible. what can i do to lower the ratio? the lower the better

Engineering news on Phys.org
Reduce the pitch of the worm gear, or increase the number of teeth on the spur.

brewnog said:
Reduce the pitch of the worm gear, or increase the number of teeth on the spur.
the gear I am using is tiny, like a half inch and it only comes in 20 teeth. the only worm i can find for it is 48 pitch. I am looking at https://sdp-si.com/ only so are there any other sites that have half inch or even better 3/16 gears with more teeth and worms with smaller pitches?

What are SDP's part numbers of the gears you are using? Can you use bevel gears?

I understand your desire to lower the ratio of your 20:1 worm gear in order to increase its speed. There are a few potential solutions you could explore to achieve this.

Firstly, you could try using a smaller worm gear with a larger gear wheel. This would effectively reduce the gear ratio, resulting in a higher speed output. However, this may also decrease the torque output of the system, so it is important to consider the intended use of the gear and the necessary power requirements.

Another option would be to use a different type of gear system altogether, such as a planetary gear system. This type of gear system can achieve high gear ratios with minimal space requirements, allowing for a smaller gear ratio and higher speed output.

Additionally, you could consider optimizing the efficiency of your current gear system. This could involve ensuring proper lubrication and reducing any friction or resistance in the gears, which can improve overall performance and potentially increase speed.

Ultimately, the best solution for lowering the gear ratio will depend on your specific needs and constraints. It may be helpful to consult with a mechanical engineer or expert in gear systems to determine the most effective approach for your specific situation.

Related to How can i speed up a 20:1 worm gear

1. How can I increase the speed of a 20:1 worm gear?

The speed of a worm gear is determined by the number of teeth on the worm and the gear it engages with. In order to increase the speed, you can either increase the number of teeth on the worm or decrease the number of teeth on the gear.

2. Can I use a different lubricant to speed up my worm gear?

Lubrication is important for the smooth operation of a worm gear, but it does not directly affect the speed. Using a different lubricant may improve the efficiency and reduce friction, but it will not significantly increase the speed of the gear.

3. Will adding more power to the motor increase the speed of the worm gear?

Adding more power to the motor will not directly increase the speed of the worm gear. The speed is determined by the gear ratio and the rotational speed of the motor. However, increasing the power may improve the overall performance and efficiency of the gear.

4. Is it possible to change the gear ratio of a 20:1 worm gear?

In most cases, the gear ratio of a worm gear cannot be changed without replacing the gears. However, some worm gears may have adjustable ratios by changing the position of the worm or gear within the system.

5. Can I modify the teeth on the worm gear to increase its speed?

Modifying the teeth on the worm gear can potentially increase its speed, but it may also affect the overall performance and efficiency of the gear. It is important to carefully consider the design and functionality of the gear before making any modifications to the teeth.