How Can Variables l and T Be Plotted to Determine k from a Graph's Slope?

In summary, to obtain the value of k from the slope of a linear graph, the variables l and T should be plotted with l as the dependent variable and (1/f)*(T/u)^0.5 as the independent variable. The constants corresponding to the slope and intercept of the linear graph would be k and 0, respectively. Alternatively, the logarithm of both sides of the equation can be taken and plotted to obtain a straight line with a slope of 1/2 and log(k)-log(f)-0.5log(u) as the y-intercept. It is important to remember that even if certain values are not plotted on the graph, they are still part of the expression. Additionally,
General_Sax

Homework Statement

How should the variables ( l and T) be plotted to obtain k from the slope of a linear graph? Identify (write out) the constants correstponding to the slope and intercept of the linear graph.

Homework Equations

l = lambda

l = (k/f)*(T/u)^0.5

The Attempt at a Solution

k^2 = [ (f^2)*(u) ] * [ (l^2)/T ]

(l^2)/T = x

(f^2)* u = m

K^2 = mx + 0

b = 0

Physics news on Phys.org
You really want to graph l as a function of (1/f)*(T/u)^0.5
The slope, if you obtain the graph of a line, will be k.

I truly don't understand how that function's slope represents k. Does the removal of k somehow allow it to represent the slope?:confused:

A line crossing the origin can be represented with y = m*x. I used the "*" to show multiplication.

Your equation is l = (k/f)*(T/u)^0.5, which you may rewrite as l = k*(1/f)*(T/u)^0.5. In this equation, l corresponds to y, k corresponds to m, and (1/f)*(T/u)^0.5 correponds to x.

Oh, that's so simple, yet so elusive. Thanks so much for your help. One last question: should I square the whole expression, so that I don't get a curve from (T/u)^0.5?

General_Sax said:
Oh, that's so simple, yet so elusive. Thanks so much for your help.
One last question: should I square the whole expression, so that I don't get a curve from (T/u)^0.5?
Based on the description you gave, No.
You are expecting a linear relationship for which your horizontal axis is for values of THE EXPRESSION, (T/u)^0.5 ; that expression IS your independant variable, composed of T and u.

What the others are saying is that you plot [itex]y= \lambda[/itex] on one axis and the values of [itex]x= (1/f)\sqrt{T/u}[/itex] on the other. That way your graph will be y= kx with k as the slope. Of course, you have to know f and u to do that.

Another thing you could do, and a fairly common way to get a linear graph from non-linear data, is to take the logarithm of both sides and plot that.

[tex]log(\lambda)= log((k/f)*(T/u)^0.5)= 0.5 log(T)+ log(k)- log(f)- 0.5log(u)[/itex]
Plotting [itex]log(\lambda)[/itex] against log(T) will give you a straight with slope 1/2 and log(k)- log(f)- 0.5log(u) as y-intercept. Assuming that you know f and u, that will tell you k.

Does anyone remember "log-log graph paper" or am I showing my age here?

You people are so helpful. Much better than my TA, and you aren't even being paid!

So, in general, if I'm given two variables and I need to graph the relationship between them I do:

a) use one as the y-axis and one as the x-axis.

b) use whatever method I need to in order to have a constant infront of the x-axis variable.

c) remember that even if certain values aren't plotted onto the graph, they are still part of the expression

Right?

General Sax, if your TA's are helping you with this then what they are good for is uncertain. Do you at least have the explanation and description of the process for this kind of graphing in your laboratory manual?

HallsofIvy - I also remember log-log paper; and semi-log paper; and two and three cycle log paper; and polar coordinate paper.

Those three questions, General Sax:
a) use one as the y-axis and one as the x-axis.
Yes.

b) use whatever method I need to in order to have a constant infront of the x-axis variable.
What exactly do you mean? Maybe.

c) remember that even if certain values aren't plotted onto the graph, they are still part of the expression
That means nothing. What kind of values are and are not plotted? Why?
You need to identify your chosen variables; sometimes one of your variable is composed of other variables.

General Sax, if your TA's are helping you with this then what they are good for is uncertain.

We have two TA's in my physics lab, but my physics lab is divided into two sections, so the TA's are also 'split'. The TA for my section is very unfriendly, I feel he has a "this is beneath me" attitude. He always makes me feel so stupid. The other TA is nice and friendly, but always has such a large queue for questions that I often don't have the time to ask him questions ( we have to hand in our lab reports at the end of the lab).

Do you at least have the explanation and description of the process for this kind of graphing in your laboratory manual?

Yes, but it reads to me like programming syntax, and I always have had difficulty learning that way. I preform much better in a class or tutorial environment.

What exactly do you mean? Maybe.

re-write the equation so that I have the form y = mx + b. where m and b are compositions of variables.

That means nothing. What kind of values are and are not plotted? Why?
You need to identify your chosen variables; sometimes one of your variable is composed of other variables.

Your response was helpful.

Let's say that the variables were l ( l = lambda ) and u.

l = (k/f)*(T/u)0.5

I could plot the graph using:

y = l
x = 1/ (u)0.5

thus:

m = (T/u)0.5 * 1/f

Thanks again for any time you contribute to me. I really do appreciate it. Happy thanksgiving!

Edit: m (slope) = T0.5 * k/f

Last edited:

Related to How Can Variables l and T Be Plotted to Determine k from a Graph's Slope?

1. What is linearization of a function?

Linearization of a function is the process of approximating a nonlinear function with a linear function in order to simplify its analysis or calculations. It involves finding the tangent line to a specific point on the nonlinear curve and using it as an approximation for the function in that region.

2. Why is linearization of a function useful?

Linearization of a function is useful because it allows us to approximate the behavior of a nonlinear function around a specific point using simpler linear equations. This makes it easier to analyze and calculate the function, especially when dealing with complex mathematical models.

3. How is linearization of a function calculated?

To linearize a function, we first find the slope of the tangent line to the curve at the desired point. This slope, also known as the derivative of the function, is then used as the slope of the linear function. We then use the point-slope form of a line to create the linear function, which can be used as an approximation for the original nonlinear function.

4. What are the limitations of linearization of a function?

Linearization of a function is only accurate in a small region around the chosen point, as it is an approximation of the original nonlinear function. It also does not work for functions that are not continuous or differentiable at the chosen point. Additionally, linearization may not accurately represent the behavior of the function outside of the chosen region.

5. How is linearization of a function used in real-life applications?

Linearization of a function is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to approximate the behavior of nonlinear systems. It is also used in computer science to optimize algorithms and in statistics for linear regression analysis. Essentially, linearization is used whenever a complex nonlinear function needs to be simplified for easier analysis and calculation.