How Can Vibration Damping Materials Reduce Machine Noise?

In summary, the individual is seeking ways to reduce the noise from a machine impacting a thin plate, and is considering changing the support geometry and adding a layer of dampening material. They are also wondering if there are any natural metals with both dampening and durability properties. They are also looking into setting up the system to push the vibration of the plate outside the audible frequency range. Suggestions include using a rubber bumper or changing the natural frequency of the system with a damping bumper.
SSGD
I am trying to reduce the noise created from a machine that makes contact (impact) with a thin plate. I just don't have anyone to bounce ideas off of.

I can change the support geometry to whatever I want as long as it will with stand a static load and the impact. I can handle this, but the support structure would be my boundary conditions for the thin plate.

I would like to put a layer of dampening material under the thin plate to convert some of the energy to heat. I don't know if this is even possible of worth my efforts.

Does anyone know of any natural metals that have a dampening property, but are durable as well?

It would be neat if I could setup the geometry to push the vibration of the plate to outside of the audible frequency threshold of the human ear, if that would be possible.

The model I want to use is the wave equation with an impulse input, but I don't really know how to model a multilayered material
Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Does anyone know of any natural metals that have a dampening property, but are durable as well?
Rubber?
What counts as "durable" etc depends on what is doing the colliding ... a rubber bumper won't do much for a jack-hammer but is fine for a door.
It would be neat if I could setup the geometry to push the vibration of the plate to outside of the audible frequency threshold of the human ear, if that would be possible.
The effect of damping is not so much to change the frequency of the vibration as to reduce the amount of vibration.
You could use the damper to reduce resonant vibrations - like putting your finger on a bell - but you'll still hear it.

You could set up the system so it has a different natural frequency when struck - and put a damping bumper between the machine and the plate.

Related to How Can Vibration Damping Materials Reduce Machine Noise?

1. What factors affect the vibration of a plate from impact?

The vibration of a plate from impact can be affected by various factors such as the material and thickness of the plate, the shape and size of the impacting object, and the impact velocity and location.

2. How does the frequency of the impact affect the plate vibration?

The frequency of the impact can affect the plate vibration in several ways. Higher impact frequencies can result in higher vibration amplitudes and shorter duration of vibrations. Additionally, different frequencies can cause the plate to vibrate in different modes, resulting in different vibration patterns.

3. Can the vibration of a plate from impact be predicted?

Yes, the vibration of a plate from impact can be predicted using mathematical models and simulations. These models take into account the properties of the plate and the impacting object, as well as the impact conditions, to accurately predict the resulting vibrations.

4. How does the plate material affect the vibration from impact?

The material of the plate can greatly affect the vibration from impact. Different materials have different stiffness and damping properties, which can influence the amplitude and duration of the vibrations. Additionally, some materials may exhibit resonance at certain frequencies, resulting in more intense vibrations.

5. Can the vibration of a plate from impact be controlled or reduced?

Yes, the vibration of a plate from impact can be controlled or reduced through various methods. These include using materials with lower stiffness and/or higher damping, adding damping layers to the plate, and altering the shape or size of the plate to avoid resonance. Additionally, impact-absorbing materials can be placed between the plate and the impacting object to reduce the impact force and resulting vibrations.