How do we get a contradiction?

In summary, we discussed a sequence $(a_n)$ that satisfies the relations $a_{n+1}=\frac{a}{a_n}$, where $a>1$ and $a_0<1$. We wanted to show that the sequence does not converge and we did so by supposing that it does converge and then arriving at a contradiction. We also considered a specific case where the sequence does converge, when $a_0=-\sqrt{a}$. But in general, the sequence does not converge unless $0 \leq a_0 <1$.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

Let $(a_n)$ be a sequence that satisfies the relations $a_{n+1}=\frac{a}{a_n}$, where $a>1$, and $a_0<1$. I want to show that the sequence does not converge.

I have thought to suppose that the sequence does converge. Then $a_n \to l<+\infty$.
Then we get that $l=\frac{a}{l} \Rightarrow l^2=a>1$.
Also $a_1=\frac{a}{a_0}>a>1$.

But I don't see how we get a contradiction. Could you give me a hint? (Thinking)

Physics news on Phys.org
evinda said:
Hello! (Wave)

Let $(a_n)$ be a sequence that satisfies the relations $a_{n+1}=\frac{a}{a_n}$, where $a>1$, and $a_0<1$. I want to show that the sequence does not converge.

I have thought to suppose that the sequence does converge. Then $a_n \to l<+\infty$.
Then we get that $l=\frac{a}{l} \Rightarrow l^2=a>1$.
Also $a_1=\frac{a}{a_0}>a>1$.

But I don't see how we get a contradiction. Could you give me a hint? (Thinking)
We have:
$$ \begin{aligned}
a_{n+1} &= \frac{a}{a_n}\\
a_{n+2} &= \frac{a}{a_{n+1}} = a_n
\end{aligned}$$

and the sequence looks like ${x,y,x,y,\dots}$.

castor28 said:
We have:
$$ \begin{aligned}
a_{n+1} &= \frac{a}{a_n}\\
a_{n+2} &= \frac{a}{a_{n+1}} = a_n
\end{aligned}$$

and the sequence looks like ${x,y,x,y,\dots}$.

Ah I see... But how do we justify it formally?

Do we suppose that $a_n \to l<+\infty$ ?

If so, then we have that $a_{n+1} \to l$ and $a_{n+2} \to l$.
The second relation holds. The first relation gives us that $\frac{a}{a_n} \to l$ and this implies that $\frac{a}{l}=l \Rightarrow a=l^2$. But this holds, or not? (Thinking)

How else can we justify it?

A sequence of the form x, y, x, y, ... has two subsequences, one that converges to x and one that converges to y. The sequence itself converges if and only if x= y. Here, You have \(\displaystyle a_1= \frac{a}{a_0}\), \(\displaystyle a_2= \frac{a}{a_1}= \frac{a}{1}\frac{a_0}{a}= a_0\), \(\displaystyle a_3= \frac{a}{a_2}= \frac{a}{1}\frac{1}{a_0}= \frac{a}{a_0}\), etc. That is, \(\displaystyle x= a_0\) and \(\displaystyle y= \frac{a}{a_0}\). This sequence converges if and only if \(\displaystyle a_0= \frac{a}{a_0}\) or \(\displaystyle a= a_0^2\). Since we are told that \(\displaystyle a< 0\) that is a contradiction.

Of course, we may also cheat a little. The question does not say that $a_0\ge 0$, only that $a_0<1$. If we take $a_0=-\sqrt{a}$, the sequence is constant and therefore convergent.:)

castor28 said:
Of course, we may also cheat a little. The question does not say that $a_0\ge 0$, only that $a_0<1$. If we take $a_0=-\sqrt{a}$, the sequence is constant and therefore convergent.:)

Cheating or not, doesn't it mathematically just mean that the statement is false?
And that you have given a counter example?

I like Serena said:
Cheating or not, doesn't it mathematically just mean that the statement is false?

Well, we can say that the sequence does not always converge. If this was an exam question, I would answer that the sequence converges if and only if $a_0=-\sqrt{a}$.

HallsofIvy said:
A sequence of the form x, y, x, y, ... has two subsequences, one that converges to x and one that converges to y. The sequence itself converges if and only if x= y. Here, You have \(\displaystyle a_1= \frac{a}{a_0}\), \(\displaystyle a_2= \frac{a}{a_1}= \frac{a}{1}\frac{a_0}{a}= a_0\), \(\displaystyle a_3= \frac{a}{a_2}= \frac{a}{1}\frac{1}{a_0}= \frac{a}{a_0}\), etc. That is, \(\displaystyle x= a_0\) and \(\displaystyle y= \frac{a}{a_0}\). This sequence converges if and only if \(\displaystyle a_0= \frac{a}{a_0}\) or \(\displaystyle a= a_0^2\). Since we are told that \(\displaystyle a< 0\) that is a contradiction.

Ah I see... Thank you! (Smile)

- - - Updated - - -

castor28 said:

I like Serena said:

castor28 said:
Well, we can say that the sequence does not always converge. If this was an exam question, I would answer that the sequence converges if and only if $a_0=-\sqrt{a}$.

So the statement is just true, when we consider that $0 \leq \alpha_0<1$, right?

evinda said:
So the statement is just true, when we consider that $0 \leq \alpha_0<1$, right?

Yep. (Nod)

I like Serena said:
Yep. (Nod)

Nice, thank you! (Happy)

Related to How do we get a contradiction?

1. How can we find a contradiction in a scientific experiment?

To find a contradiction in a scientific experiment, one must carefully analyze and examine all aspects of the experiment, including the data collected, methodology used, and potential sources of error. It is also important to replicate the experiment and compare results to ensure consistency.

2. What role does critical thinking play in identifying contradictions?

Critical thinking is essential in identifying contradictions in scientific experiments. It involves carefully evaluating and analyzing the evidence presented, questioning assumptions and biases, and considering alternative explanations for the observed results.

3. How do we determine if a contradiction is valid or not?

A valid contradiction in a scientific experiment is one that is supported by strong evidence and logical reasoning. This can be determined through peer review and replication of the experiment by other researchers. It is also important to consider the credibility and expertise of the individuals conducting the experiment.

4. Can a contradiction ever be a positive result in a scientific experiment?

Yes, a contradiction can sometimes lead to a positive result in a scientific experiment. It may indicate that the current understanding or theory in a certain area of science is not complete and may require further investigation or refinement.

5. How can we prevent or minimize contradictions in scientific research?

To prevent or minimize contradictions in scientific research, it is important to follow strict research protocols, carefully design experiments, and use reliable and accurate methods of data collection and analysis. Collaboration and open communication among researchers can also help identify and address potential contradictions early on.