How do we show the inequality?

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, the conversation centers around using the Bernoulli inequality to prove that $1+\frac{1}{n}a \geq (1+a)^{\frac{1}{n}}$ for $a \geq -1$ and $n \in \mathbb{N}$. After some thinking and substitution, it is determined that the inequality can be proven for values greater than $-n$, which also implies that it holds for values greater than $-1$. This results in a 'stronger' inequality than what was initially needed.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

Using induction, I have showed the Bernoulli inequality, i.e. that if $a \geq -1$ and $n \in \mathbb{N}$ then $1+na \leq (1+a)^n$. Now I want to show that if $a \geq -1$ and $n \in \mathbb{N}$ the $1+\frac{1}{n}a \geq (1+a)^{\frac{1}{n}}$. How could we show this? Could we use somehow the Bernoulli inequality? (Thinking)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey evinda! (Smile)

Suppose we substitute $a=\frac 1n \tilde a$ in Bernoulli's inequality. Would that bring us closer to what we want to prove? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
Hey evinda! (Smile)

Suppose we substitute $a=\frac 1n \tilde a$ in Bernoulli's inequality. Would that bring us closer to what we want to prove? (Wondering)

Then we get that $1+ \tilde a \leq \left( 1+ \frac{1}{n} \tilde a\right)^n \Rightarrow 1+\frac{1}{n} \tilde a \geq (1+ \tilde a)^{\frac{1}{n}}$, right?

But this holds for $\tilde a \geq -n$. We want that it holds for $\tilde a \geq -1$. (Worried) What could we do? (Thinking)

Doesn't the first imply the second?
We actually found a 'stronger' inequality than we need. (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
Doesn't first imply the second?
We actually found a 'stronger' inequality than we need. (Thinking)

Ah because if the inequality holds for values greater than $-n$, we directly have that it holds for values greater than $-1$, right? (Blush)

Yep. (Nod)

I like Serena said:
Yep. ( Nod)

I see... Thanks a lot! (Smirk)

Related to How do we show the inequality?

1. How do we define inequality?

Inequality is defined as the unequal distribution of resources, opportunities, or privileges among individuals or groups based on factors such as race, gender, socioeconomic status, or other characteristics.

2. What are some examples of inequality?

Examples of inequality include disparities in income, education, healthcare, housing, and representation in positions of power. Inequality can also manifest in the form of discrimination, prejudice, and systemic barriers that prevent individuals or groups from achieving equal opportunities.

3. How do we measure inequality?

Inequality can be measured in various ways, depending on the specific aspect being examined. Some common measures include the Gini coefficient, which assesses income inequality within a population, and the Human Development Index, which takes into account factors such as education and life expectancy to measure overall well-being and inequality within a country.

4. What are the consequences of inequality?

Inequality can have negative consequences on both individuals and societies. It can lead to social and economic instability, hinder economic growth, and perpetuate cycles of poverty and disadvantage. In addition, inequality can also have psychological effects, such as feelings of injustice, hopelessness, and low self-esteem.

5. How can we address inequality?

Addressing inequality requires a multi-faceted approach that involves addressing systemic and institutional barriers, promoting policies that promote equal opportunities, and addressing attitudes and biases that perpetuate inequality. This can include measures such as investing in education and job training programs, promoting diversity and inclusion, and implementing policies to reduce income and wealth disparities.