How Do You Apply Laplace Transform to an ODE with a Derivative of Time?

In summary, t' means some transformation of t and needs to be taken into account when solving the ODE.
Linder88
Member warned about posting without the HW template
The ordinary differential equation, with initial values,shall be solved using Laplace transform. The ODE looks like this
\begin{equation}
y''(t')+2y''(t)-2y(t)=0
\end{equation}
And the initial conditions are
\begin{equation}
y(0)=y'(0)=0, y''(0)=0
\end{equation}
The problem is with the first term in the ODE, how do I transform taking the derivative of t in consideration? I would be happy for an answer!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Linder88 said:
The ordinary differential equation, with initial values,shall be solved using Laplace transform. The ODE looks like this
\begin{equation}
y''(t')+2y''(t)-2y(t)=0
\end{equation}
\begin{equation}
y(0)=y'(0)=0, y''(0)=0
\end{equation}
The problem is with the first term in the ODE, how do I transform taking the derivative of t in consideration? I would be happy for an answer!

There are standard results linking the L.T.s of y'(t) and y''(t) to the L.T. of y(t). You can (and should) look them up in any table of Laplace Transforms. (PF Rules require that you show some effort before receiving help.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ray Vickson said:
There are standard results linking the L.T.s of y'(t) and y''(t) to the L.T. of y(t). You can (and should) look them up in any table of Laplace Transforms. (PF Rules require that you show some effort before receiving help.)
I think you misunderstood the question, the problem is not to make Laplace transforms of y(t), y'(t) and y''(t) but of y''(t'). There's a certain difference because taking the next step in the solution is dependent of this question.

Linder88 said:
\begin{equation}
y''(t')+2y''(t)-2y(t)=0
\end{equation}
\begin{equation}
y(0)=y'(0)=0, y''(0)=0
\end{equation}
1. The homework template is required. In future posts, please do not delete it.
2. In your diff. equation, the dependent variables are y and y''; the independent variable is t. I would guess that the expression t' means ##\frac {d}{dt}(t) = 1##. This would mean that your DE is y''(1) + 2y''(t) - 2y(t) = 0, or equivalently, y'' - y = -(1/2)y''(1).
The only other thing I can think of is that t' represents some transformation of t.
3. Your begin and end commands used the wrong slash -- it should have been \, not /.

Linder88 said:
I think you misunderstood the question, the problem is not to make Laplace transforms of y(t), y'(t) and y''(t) but of y''(t'). There's a certain difference because taking the next step in the solution is dependent of this question.

I thought your question contained a "typo", and that you had intended y'''(t), because I could not believe anybody would write y''(t') if t is the independent variable. Of course if t = f(w) is actually some known(?) function of another variable w---as suggested by Mark---then the question would make sense if t' means f'(w). On the other hand, if t' really does mean dt/dt = 1, then y''(t') is just some constant (i.e., does not vary with t), so its L.T. is just the L.T. of a constant.

Mark44 said:
1. The homework template is required. In future posts, please do not delete it.
2. In your diff. equation, the dependent variables are y and y''; the independent variable is t. I would guess that the expression t' means ##\frac {d}{dt}(t) = 1##. This would mean that your DE is y''(1) + 2y''(t) - 2y(t) = 0, or equivalently, y'' - y = -(1/2)y''(1).
The only other thing I can think of is that t' represents some transformation of t.
3. Your begin and end commands used the wrong slash -- it should have been \, not /.
Thank you so much for your answer, it all makes sense! All three points :)

Related to How Do You Apply Laplace Transform to an ODE with a Derivative of Time?

1. What is the Laplace transform of y''(t')?

The Laplace transform of y''(t') is the mathematical operation that transforms a function of time, y''(t'), into a function of complex frequency, Y(s). It is defined as the integral of the function multiplied by the exponential function, e^(-st), where s is a complex variable.

2. How is the Laplace transform of y''(t') useful in scientific research?

The Laplace transform is useful in scientific research because it allows for the analysis of dynamic systems and their behavior over time. It can be used to solve differential equations, which are commonly used in physical and engineering systems.

3. Can the Laplace transform of y''(t') be used to solve initial value problems?

Yes, the Laplace transform can be used to solve initial value problems by transforming the differential equation into an algebraic equation in terms of the transformed function, Y(s). The inverse Laplace transform can then be applied to obtain the solution in terms of the original function, y(t).

4. What is the relationship between the Laplace transform and the Fourier transform?

The Laplace transform is a generalization of the Fourier transform for non-periodic functions. It includes a parameter, s, that allows for the analysis of both transient and steady-state behavior of a system. The Fourier transform is a special case of the Laplace transform when s = jω, where ω is the frequency in radians per second.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Laplace transform of y''(t')?

One limitation of the Laplace transform is that it can only be applied to functions that satisfy certain conditions, such as being continuous and having finite limits. Another limitation is that it may not always be possible to find the inverse Laplace transform analytically, requiring the use of numerical methods instead.