How Do You Calculate the Dynamics of a Mass Suspended from a Flywheel?

In summary: The key is to correctly model the situation. If the problem were posed in terms of the rotational motion then you would need to take that into consideration, but it isn't.
SWINEFLU

Homework Statement

A mass of 0.5kg is suspended from a flywheel, if the mass is released from rest and falls a distance of 0.5m in 1.5s calculate:

A, the Linear acceleration of the mass
B, the angular acceleration of the wheel
C, the tension in the rope
D, the friction torque.

Known information
Mass of wheel 3 kg Mp
Outside radius of wheel 0.3m
Radius of gyration 0.212 m

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

A,
mg - T = ma
TR=Ia/R
mg-(Ia/R^2) = ma
a= mg/(m+(I/R^2))
Swapping I out for I=(MpR^2)/2
gives
a=mg/(m+((MpR^2)/R^2)
a=mg/(m+(Mp/2)
a=2.4525
2.45 m/sec^-2

B,
Angular acceleration = a/R
2.4525/0.3 = 8.175
8.175 rads/sec^-2

C,
T=mg-ma
T=0.5*9.81-0.5*2.4525
T=3.68
3.68N

D, - The problem!
Torque (TNET) = acceleration torque (TA) + frictional torque (TF)
TF = TR
3.68*0.3

TA = Angular acceleration*I
I = MpR^2/2
I = 3*0.3^2/2
I = 0.135
0.135*8.175
= 1.103625

Thus suggestion there is no frictional Torque,

I have spent a few weeks on an off with this question, I have looked at out threads on here, the lesson provided with the module and YOUTUBE. I am still not able to work out were I am going wrong, hope someone can help, Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
Funny how posting that that prompted thought,

Should net torque use the radius of gyration instead of radius, thus giving a TNET of 0.779895, apply the same to the TA calculation it gives 0.551258
thus
TF = TNET - TA
TF = 0.228637

Or have I gone wrong further up the chain?

Hi SWINEFLU, Welcome to PF.

You have a problem with part A. You're looking for the linear acceleration of the mass and you're given distance and time, so why not avoid all the rotational motion involvement to begin with? Simple kinematics will yield the linear acceleration.

SWINEFLU said:
Funny how posting that that prompted thought,

Should net torque use the radius of gyration instead of radius, thus giving a TNET of 0.779895, apply the same to the TA calculation it gives 0.551258
thus
TF = TNET - TA
TF = 0.228637

Or have I gone wrong further up the chain?
The radius of gyration will let you compute the moment of inertia using the given mass of the wheel. What's the relationship between radius of gyration, moment of inertia, and mass? This should be one of your Relevant Equations.

gneill said:
Hi SWINEFLU, Welcome to PF.

You have a problem with part A. You're looking for the linear acceleration of the mass and you're given distance and time, so why not avoid all the rotational motion involvement to begin with? Simple kinematics will yield the linear acceleration.

Thanks gneill, I understand were you are coming from as this is what I have read online in several places, but surely the rotating of the mass of which the string is attached to affects the overall acceleration of the mass?

SWINEFLU said:
Thanks gneill, I understand were you are coming from as this is what I have read online in several places, but surely the rotating of the mass of which the string is attached to affects the overall acceleration of the mass?
It does, yes, but whatever affect it has results in the observed motion which is that the mass travels a given distance in a given time, hence a deducible acceleration (assuming linear motion and constant acceleration).

Related to How Do You Calculate the Dynamics of a Mass Suspended from a Flywheel?

1. How does changing the mass affect the tension in a pulley system?

The tension in a pulley system is directly proportional to the mass suspended from the pulley. This means that as the mass increases, the tension also increases.

2. What is the relationship between the mass and the acceleration of the system?

The mass suspended from a pulley will affect the acceleration of the system. The larger the mass, the slower the acceleration will be, and vice versa.

3. Can the direction of the mass affect the tension in a pulley system?

Yes, the direction of the mass can affect the tension in a pulley system. If the mass is moving in the same direction as the force applied by the pulley, the tension will decrease. If it is moving in the opposite direction, the tension will increase.

4. How do different types of pulleys affect the tension in a system?

The type of pulley used can affect the tension in a system. A fixed pulley will only change the direction of the force, while a movable pulley can decrease the tension by distributing the weight between multiple strands of rope.

5. Is the tension in a pulley system affected by the angle of the rope?

Yes, the tension in a pulley system is affected by the angle of the rope. The larger the angle, the greater the tension will be. This is because a larger angle increases the horizontal component of the force, which in turn increases the tension.