How Do You Calculate the Magnetic Field Above a Current-Carrying Loop?

In summary, the homework statement is to calculate the magnetic field above a loop with a radius and current. The attempt at a solution is to find the field if the loop is a straight line and the symmetry is not easy. The summary states that the magnetic field is calculated to be IR/2 pi r sqrt(R^2+r^2) for a straight line with no easy symmetry.
skrat

Homework Statement

Calculate the magnetic field above a loop shown in picture with radius ##R## and current ##I##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Firstly, curved part:

##\vec{H}(\vec{r})=\frac{I}{4\pi }\int \frac{d\vec{{r}'}\times (\vec{r}-\vec{{r}'})}{|\vec{r}-\vec{{r}'}|^3}cos\varphi =\frac{I}{4\pi }\int \frac{Rd\varphi \hat{e}_{\varphi }\times (\vec{r}-\vec{{r}'})}{(R^2+z^2)^{3/2}}\frac{R}{\sqrt{R^2+z^2}}##

Where ##\hat{e}_{\varphi }\times (\vec{r}-\vec{{r}'})=|\hat{e}_{\varphi }||\vec{r}-\vec{{r}'}|sin\varphi \hat{n}=\sqrt{R^2+z^2}\hat{n}## and finally:

##\vec{H}(\vec{r})=\frac{I}{4\pi }\int_{\pi }^{2\pi }\frac{R^2\hat{n}d\varphi }{(R^2+z^2)^{3/2}}=\frac{IR^2}{4(R^2+z^2)^{3/2}}\hat{n}##.

For the straight line I have some troubles with the integral...

##\vec{H}(\vec{r})=\frac{I}{4\pi }\int \frac{d\vec{{r}'}\times (\vec{r}-\vec{{r}'})}{|\vec{r}-\vec{{r}'}|^3}##

Now ##d\vec{{r}'}\times (\vec{r}-\vec{{r}'})=d\vec{{r}'}\times \vec{r}## since ##d\vec{{r}'}## and ##\vec{{r}'}## are parallel. Also ##d\vec{{r}'}=dx\hat{e}_x##.

##\vec{H}(\vec{r})=\frac{I}{4\pi }\int_{-R}^{R}\frac{dx(\hat{e}_x\times \vec{r})}{((\vec{r}-\hat{e}_xx)(\vec{r}-\hat{e}_xx))^{3/2}}=\frac{I(\hat{e}_x\times \vec{r})}{4\pi }\int_{-R}^{R}\frac{dx}{(r^2-2\hat{e}_x\vec{r} x+x^2)^{3/2}}##

Now what? o_O Is this even ok?

Attachments

• wef.JPG
    wef.JPG
    1.9 KB · Views: 430
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Presumably you've already done it, or seen it done, for an infinite straight wire?

Aha, ok, I see it now...

##\hat{e}_x\vec{r}=0## since they are always perpendicular. (My question here: What if they werent?)

In that case, things simplify a lot and the integral over the straight line should be ##\vec{H}(\vec{r})=\frac{IR}{2\pi r\sqrt{R^2+r^2}}\hat{e}_y##, where ##\vec{r} ## is the distance from the center of the straight line to point ##T##.

When you don't have easy symmetry, the calculation can get arbitrarily difficult.
In many cases the integral has to be solved numerically.

That is why you will only see simple geometries at this stage.
Also consider what happens to the field close to one corner of the D ;)

I would suggest that the approach taken in the attempt at a solution is not completely correct. It is important to first clearly define the problem and the variables involved. In this case, the problem states that the loop has a radius R and carries a current I. The magnetic field above the loop is to be calculated at a point with coordinates (x,y,z).

The correct approach would be to use the Biot-Savart law, which states that the magnetic field at a point due to a current element is given by:

d𝐵 = (𝜇₀/4𝜋) * (𝑑𝐼 * 𝑑𝐿 * sin𝜃)/𝑟²

where 𝜇₀ is the permeability of free space, 𝑑𝐼 is the current element, 𝑑𝐿 is the length of the current element, 𝜃 is the angle between the current element and the line joining the current element and the point, and 𝑟 is the distance between the current element and the point.

Using this law, the magnetic field at a point above the loop can be calculated by considering the contributions from all the current elements that make up the loop. The integral can be set up as follows:

𝐵 = ∫(𝜇₀/4𝜋) * (𝑑𝐼 * 𝑑𝐿 * sin𝜃)/𝑟²

where the limits of integration are from 0 to 2𝜋 for the angle and from 0 to R for the radius of the loop.

Once the integral is set up, it can be solved using appropriate mathematical techniques. It is important to note that the magnetic field will have different components in the x, y, and z directions and will depend on the coordinates of the point above the loop.

In conclusion, as a scientist, I would suggest that a more systematic and rigorous approach should be taken to solve the problem and to clearly define the variables and equations being used.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Magnetic Field Above a Current-Carrying Loop?

1. What is a magnetic field above a loop?

A magnetic field above a loop is a region of space where magnetic forces are present due to the presence of a current in the loop. It is a three-dimensional field that surrounds the loop and can be visualized using magnetic field lines.

2. How is the direction of the magnetic field above a loop determined?

The direction of the magnetic field above a loop is determined by the direction of the current flowing through the loop. The right-hand rule can be used to determine the direction of the magnetic field, where the thumb points in the direction of the current and the curled fingers point in the direction of the magnetic field.

3. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field above a loop?

The strength of the magnetic field above a loop is affected by the magnitude of the current flowing through the loop, the number of turns in the loop, and the distance from the loop. The magnetic field strength also decreases as the distance from the loop increases.

4. How is the magnetic field above a loop used in practical applications?

The magnetic field above a loop is used in many practical applications, including generators, motors, and transformers. It is also used in magnetic levitation, where the repelling force between the magnetic field of a loop and a magnet is used to levitate objects.

5. Can the magnetic field above a loop be shielded or controlled?

Yes, the magnetic field above a loop can be shielded or controlled by using materials with high magnetic permeability, such as iron or steel, to redirect the magnetic field away from the desired area. Additionally, the strength of the magnetic field can be controlled by adjusting the current or distance from the loop.