How does a receiving antenna separate desired electromagnetic waves?

In summary, according to this expert, EM waves of various frequencies are used for communication, and there are also EM waves from other sources, such as sunlight. Now all these waves are out there in space, and at any point in space, it will be kind of a resultant of all EM waves at that point. To receive EM waves, an antenna separates the wave it wants, and I am not sure if this is done with a resonance effect or by tuning the antenna. Finally, this expert thinks that if we were to see the electromagnetic field at any point, we would end up seeing one resultant value.
mak_phy
I don't really know how to put my doubt in words but I will try.

Electromagnetis waves of various frequencies are used for

communication.Also there are EM waves from other sources, for

example even sunlight is eloctromagnetic wave.Now all these

waves are out there in space. So at anyone point in space, it

will be kind of a resultant of all EM waves at that point.

[Like may be if you mix water from various sources ]

So what I think is if it were possible to see the electromagntic

field at any point, we would end up seeing one resultant value.

Now how does receiving antenna separate the wave it wants?
I was syudying science at one time, but forgot, so please

clear my doubt.And bear with me if my question doesn't make sense.

Physics news on Phys.org
mak_phy said:
I don't really know how to put my doubt in words but I will try.

Electromagnetis waves of various frequencies are used for

communication.Also there are EM waves from other sources, for

example even sunlight is eloctromagnetic wave.Now all these

waves are out there in space. So at anyone point in space, it

will be kind of a resultant of all EM waves at that point.

[Like may be if you mix water from various sources ]

So what I think is if it were possible to see the electromagntic

field at any point, we would end up seeing one resultant value.

Now how does receiving antenna separate the wave it wants?
I was syudying science at one time, but forgot, so please

clear my doubt.And bear with me if my question doesn't make sense.
Welcome mak phy,
Rather than "see the electromagnetic field at any point" I would prefer to use the expression detect the field at that point and what you detect depends upon the nature of the detector used.
I am a bit out of my sphere of knowledge with antenae but as far as I know the induced current in a receiving antenna has a maximum value for those frequencies for which there is a resonance effect,that is from transmitter antenae where there is a length and frequency match.The antenna also responds to other frequencies but less strongly and it is the tuning part of the circuit that separates the frequencies.
Hopefully others will come in with better informed comments.When I get some spare moments I will read up on it.

Hi mak_phy, welcome to PF,

Dadface is right, any detection or measurement apparatus is sensitive to a particular range of frequencies. Take for example your eyes. They are sensitive to EM waves in the visible range, but not for example in the radio frequency range. So even though a hypothetical measuring device which was sensitive to both ranges would be able to detect the total field as being the sum of the two (called "superposition") a radio receiver will not detect the visible light waves and your eyes will not detect the radio waves.

Thank you Dadface and DaleSpam for your replies.
I think I got what you are explaining theoretically. Both the resonance part and eyes responding only to certain frequencies. It seems even after interference, individual frequencies don't lose their existence/identity.
I got confused because of the fact that a square wave being made of different sinusoids - all we see is a square wave.

It's the same with sound. The pressure exerted by the air on someone's eardrum has just one value at anyone point in time, and a sequence of values in a duration of time. Out of that pattern we can identify a low-pitched tuba, a high-pitched flute, human voices, bird chirps, car horns, footsteps, heard all at the same time, and we hear the separate E, C, and G notes of a C-major chord.

Thank you both of you for the "LIGHT" and "SOUND" analogy .
That explains it all.
:smile:

Related to How does a receiving antenna separate desired electromagnetic waves?

1. What are electromagnetic waves?

Electromagnetic waves are a type of energy that is composed of both electric and magnetic fields. They are generated when an electrically charged particle, such as an electron, changes its energy state. Electromagnetic waves can travel through a vacuum and can also travel through various materials, such as air, water, and solids.

2. How do electromagnetic waves travel?

Electromagnetic waves travel at the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. They do not require a medium to travel through, unlike sound waves, which need a medium such as air or water. This means that electromagnetic waves can travel through empty space.

3. What are the different types of electromagnetic waves?

The electromagnetic spectrum is made up of a wide range of waves, including radio waves, microwaves, infrared, visible light, ultraviolet, X-rays, and gamma rays. These waves have different wavelengths and frequencies, which determine their properties and uses. For example, radio waves have longer wavelengths and lower frequencies, while gamma rays have shorter wavelengths and higher frequencies.

4. How are electromagnetic waves used in everyday life?

Electromagnetic waves have many practical applications in our daily lives. For example, radio waves are used for communication, microwaves are used for cooking, infrared waves are used for remote controls, visible light is used for vision, and X-rays are used for medical imaging. Electromagnetic waves also play a crucial role in technologies such as cell phones, Wi-Fi, and GPS.

5. What are the dangers of electromagnetic waves?

While electromagnetic waves have many useful applications, they can also pose potential dangers. Exposure to high levels of certain types of waves, such as UV rays and X-rays, can cause damage to living cells and tissues. This is why safety precautions, such as wearing sunscreen and limiting X-ray exposure, are necessary when dealing with these types of waves.