How Does an Electric Field Affect Magnetic Dipole Direction?

In summary, according to Harjot Singh, the direction of electron spins is not affected by electric fields. However, electric fields can provide enough "energy" to orientate the electron's spin in a particular direction.
harjot singh
magnetism and electrcity!

according to me as i think that when an electric field is created by creating a potential difference ,the force from the electric field changes the direction of spin maybe due to which the opposite effects takes place from magnetic field because magneticdipole becomes opposite.that's why,please explain me my problem here

Physics news on Phys.org
Your problem is that what you have written is incomprehensible.

harjot singh said:
according to me as i think that when an electric field is created by creating a potential difference ,the force from the electric field changes the direction of spin maybe due to which the opposite effects takes place from magnetic field because magneticdipole becomes opposite.that's why,please explain me my problem here
Only you know what's your problem.How will I know what is in your mind.What's your question?

If you want to learn more about electric fields and electricity I suggest the old 1940s-50s documentaries. I think you are talking about how transformers turn dc into ac.

But please consider my point even,i am saying that, "cant it happen like this that electric field could change the spin of electron moving in that particular direction due to their force" ?

or try here,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spin_(physics )
maybe this is what you are asking??

The value of spin for an elementary particle depends only on the type of particle, and cannot be altered in any known way (in contrast to the spin direction described below).
edit: Harjot, you are aware 'SPIN" is a magnetic phenomenon, right, not electrical [not like charge] ? That's why in the MRI article, for example, they discuss a magnetic field rather than an electric field.

Last edited by a moderator:
I doubt that guessing what harjot singh means will get us very far. Let him explain it, please.

I was talking about the direction of spin and not the value.Very sorry for misconception and is direction of spin changes?otherwise please explain me,"how by changing electric field direction,the magnetic field direction i.e magnetic dipole also changes"? because if we are putting simply that due to change in electric field direction,the magnetic field direction also change,but it has to affect the electron's spin direction by any means and then only it can change magnetic field ...? but if i am wrong please do correct me!

Regards
Harjot Singh

In general, electric fields don't (have to) influence the direction of electron spins, or the direction of magnetic fields. If you have some specific experiment in mind, please tell us which one.

Maybe what is being asked is whether the magnetic field itself is sufficiently strong to orientate the spins along that axis? My understanding is that it's not strong enough to do that but only causes a precession about that axis.. is that correct?

I doubt that guessing what harjot singh means will get us very far. Let him explain it, please.

Jilang said:
Maybe what is being asked is whether the magnetic field itself is sufficiently strong to orientate the spins along that axis? My understanding is that it's not strong enough to do that but only causes a precession about that axis.. is that correct?

Actually Jilang is correct to a certain point,what i was actually making in my question was that are those electric fields can provide the electron (moving towards them) enough "energy" that it can flip its spin direction ?

Related to How Does an Electric Field Affect Magnetic Dipole Direction?

1. How does an electric field affect the direction of a magnetic dipole?

When an electric field is applied to a magnetic dipole, it will exert a torque on the dipole causing it to align itself with the direction of the electric field. The electric field will either attract or repel opposite poles of the dipole, causing it to rotate until it aligns with the field.

2. What is the relationship between electric fields and magnetic dipoles?

Magnetic dipoles are created by the movement of charged particles, which also generate electric fields. When a magnetic dipole is placed in an external electric field, the two fields interact with each other, causing the dipole to align with the electric field.

3. Does the strength of the electric field affect the direction of the magnetic dipole?

Yes, the strength of the electric field does affect the direction of the magnetic dipole. The stronger the electric field, the greater the torque exerted on the dipole, causing it to align more quickly with the field.

4. Can an electric field change the polarity of a magnetic dipole?

No, an electric field cannot change the polarity of a magnetic dipole. The electric field can only cause the dipole to rotate and align itself with the field, but it cannot change the actual polarity of the dipole.

5. How is the strength of the electric field measured in relation to its effect on a magnetic dipole?

The strength of the electric field is typically measured in units of volts per meter (V/m). This value represents the amount of electric field strength that will exert a force of one newton on a charge of one coulomb. The greater the strength of the electric field, the greater the force exerted on the magnetic dipole and the quicker it will align with the field.