How does time work? I understand that it's an unknown entity, but I

• Thread starter xRPMx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time Work
In summary, the concept of time is not fully understood and there are multiple theories about its nature. Some suggest that time is related to the increase of disorder, while others see it as a dimension influenced by speed and gravity. In quantum theory, the future is unpredictable, making it difficult to fully comprehend time.
xRPMx
How does time work? I understand that it's an unknown entity, but I was wondering, is it possible that all states; past, present and future, exist at the same time? Or do we pass through it? Or do all possible futures exist in our present?

Sorry for the questions lol. Subject confuses me greatly.

Physics news on Phys.org

Science isn't really sure yet. The only thing that they have found that consistantly increases with time is entropy (a measure of disorder), so it has been suggested time is increase in entropy. Relitivity, meanwhile, suggests time is a dimension, like space, and you have different "zones" of time depending on your relative speed and gravity potential, making the word "meanwhile" meaningless. In quantum theory, there is several random outcomes to, for example, whether an elecron emits radiation or not, which cannnot be predicted, impling the future is made up as you go along. Fitting all these models together to properly understand time is tricky.

Related to How does time work? I understand that it's an unknown entity, but I

1. How is time measured?

Time is typically measured using units such as seconds, minutes, hours, days, weeks, months, and years. These units are based on the rotation of the Earth and its orbit around the sun. More precise measurements of time are made using atomic clocks, which use the natural vibrations of atoms to keep time.

2. Is time a physical entity?

This is a debated topic among scientists. Some argue that time is a fundamental physical entity, while others believe it is a human construct used to measure the duration of events. The theory of relativity suggests that time and space are intertwined and can be influenced by gravity and motion.

3. Can time be manipulated or controlled?

Currently, there is no known way to manipulate or control time. However, the theory of relativity suggests that time can be affected by factors such as gravity and velocity. Some scientists are researching the possibility of time travel, but it is still considered a highly theoretical concept.

4. How does time flow?

The concept of time flow is subjective and can differ from person to person. Some theories suggest that time flows in a linear fashion, while others propose that it is more like a river with twists and turns. Some scientists also believe that time may not flow at all, and all moments in time exist simultaneously.

5. What is the origin of time?

The origin of time is a philosophical question that is still debated by scientists. Some believe that time has always existed, while others propose that it began with the Big Bang. The concept of time may be difficult to fully understand and its true origin may remain a mystery.