How much space does a Pound of copper use

In summary: I seem to finally figured it out as 1 pound of silver would need a space of 3.5" dia. X .272" lg.1 pound of copper would need a greater space as density is less. I always use inches as I do not know the metric system that well and the result is always the same anyway.
John1397
I am trying to figure out if you have one pound of copper density 8.95 and if you have a pound of silver density 10.4 how much space each will take or how much more space the copper will take this can be ounce's or whatever metric measurement they use for volume
as I put a pound of copper in water then took out the copper and put a pound of silver in the water and I came up with about three to four nickels (5 cents) worth of volume difference and I was going to figure out if this is about the right amount of volume? Will 8.95 divided by 10.4
which is .86 be an indicator as if you had a cubic foot of copper that with silver it would only be .86th of a cubic foot of silver or does it not work that way?

John

Astronomy news on Phys.org
John1397 said:
I am trying to figure out if you have one pound of copper density 8.95 and if you have a pound of silver density 10.4 how much space each will take or how much more space the copper will take this can be ounce's or whatever metric measurement they use for volume
as I put a pound of copper in water then took out the copper and put a pound of silver in the water and I came up with about three to four nickels (5 cents) worth of volume difference and I was going to figure out if this is about the right amount of volume? Will 8.95 divided by 10.4
which is .86 be an indicator as if you had a cubic foot of copper that with silver it would only be .86th of a cubic foot of silver or does it not work that way?

John
You have the right idea.

Best not to work in pounds, but refer to kilogrammes.

A pound of copper is heavier than a pound of silver.

Confusing, huh!?

A pound of silver = 373.24 g
A pound of copper = 453.59 g

I kinda worked it out starting with the weight of a pound of copper and silver in one cubic foot then taking 7.48 gallons in a cubic foot times 128 ounces in gallon and I come up with 1 pound of silver taking up 1.47 ounces of space and for copper taking up 1.74 ounces of space, if you could physically pour copper and silver I hope this is right.

John

cmb said:
Best not to work in pounds, but refer to kilogrammes.

A pound of copper is heavier than a pound of silver.

Confusing, huh!?

A pound of silver = 373.24 g
A pound of copper = 453.59 g

Where did you get this idea? Are you assuming Troy weight for silver and Avoirdupois for copper?

I am trying to figure how much the thickness of 1 pound of silver would be in 3.5" diameter the formula goes as follows:

diameter 3.50"
radius 1.75"
X
radius 1.75"
X
pie 3.14
=
sq. Inches 9.6162

cubic inches
in sq. foot 1728

divided by 9.66162
=
179.6938 < cylinder 3.5" diameter should be this many inches long

Pound of silver
per cu. foot 660

divided by 179.6938
=
per inch 3.6729 pounds

divided by 4
=
per quarter in. .918225 pounds

Here is my problem as I know that 3.5 inch diameter 1/4 inch weighs .918225 pounds
how much thickness in decimal format is needed to make 1 pound?

John

mathman said:
Where did you get this idea? Are you assuming Troy weight for silver and Avoirdupois for copper?
Of course. What other measurement system would you use for silver with 'pounds' in it, other than Troy?

cmb said:
Of course. What other measurement system would you use for silver with 'pounds' in it, other than Troy?

I suspect that the original question assumed the same unit of weight for both copper and silver.

The OP seems to revolve around Archimede's principle; a fine idea.
Most of the replies show how the imperial/american system of units revolve around lots of awful conversion factors; a terrible fact.
(Please, consider this reply as a tongue in cheek comment)

I seem to finally figured it out as 1 pound of silver would need a space of 3.5" dia. X .272" lg.
1 pound of copper would need a greater space as density is less. I always use inches as I do not no the metric system that well and the result is always the same anyway.

John

Related to How much space does a Pound of copper use

1. How is space measured in a Pound of copper?

Space is typically measured in terms of volume, which is the amount of three-dimensional space an object occupies. However, in the case of a Pound of copper, space can also refer to the physical area that the copper occupies.

2. How much space does a Pound of copper take up?

The exact amount of space a Pound of copper takes up will vary depending on the shape and form of the copper. On average, a Pound of copper will occupy a volume of approximately 0.091 cubic inches or a surface area of 9.6 square inches.

3. How does the space used by a Pound of copper compare to other materials?

Compared to other materials, copper is relatively dense and therefore takes up less space. For example, a Pound of aluminum occupies a volume of 22.4 cubic inches, while a Pound of copper occupies only 0.091 cubic inches.

4. Does the space used by a Pound of copper change depending on its form?

Yes, the form of the copper can greatly affect the amount of space it occupies. For example, a Pound of solid copper will occupy less space than a Pound of copper wire due to the wire's cylindrical shape and the gaps between the wires.

5. Is the space used by a Pound of copper a relevant factor when considering its use?

In most cases, the space used by a Pound of copper is not a significant factor when considering its use. Copper is often used for its electrical and thermal conductivity, corrosion resistance, and other properties, rather than the amount of space it occupies.