How to Calculate Boat Angle for Straight River Crossing?

In summary: The boat needs to be directed at an angle of 0 degrees from the perpendicular to the shore in order to cross the river quickly. The resultant speed will be relative to the shore at 3.0 km/h.
kboykb

Homework Statement

A: A boat capable of making 11.0 km/h in still water is used to cross a river flowing at speed of 3.0 km/h. At what angle (in o) must the boat be directed (from the perpendicular to the shore) so that its motion will be straight across the river?

B: What is the resultant speed relative to the shore?

Homework Equations

I'm not sure of the Exact Equations.. Possibly
Ax = A*cos(Theta) Ay = A*sin(Theta)
Bx = B*cos(Theta) By = B*sin(Theta)
Ax+Bx=Cx .. or Ax-Bx=Cx

(I'm at work right now, I forgot the last equation .. Ay/Ax = The tangent of Theta ? By/Bx)

The Attempt at a Solution

For my solution I drew a vector triangle. One directly North, one at the head of this vector going to the right (east) .. and then a resultant line connecting these two vectors. Mainly I just divided 11/3 and took the tangent of this, but couldn't find the correct answer. I can't really attempt the 2nd problem without the way to do the first.

Thanks in advance for the help :)

Physics news on Phys.org
The vector of length 11 is the hypotenuse of the right triangle so you don't want the tangent(11/3). The tangent(3/11) would be closer but that is still wrong.

Draw a picture roughly to scale so you have an idea of the correct answer.

Spinnor said:
The vector of length 11 is the hypotenuse of the right triangle so you don't want the tangent(11/3). The tangent(3/11) would be closer but that is still wrong.

Draw a picture roughly to scale so you have an idea of the correct answer.

That should be arc-tangent(3/11) above, hope that was obvious.

Okay, that does give me a better visual of everything. I have something that looks like this (Ignore the Text)
f_booksolutiom_ce52c18.jpg

with 11 as the hypotenuse. If the top vector is 3, would the straight North line be 10.8? (By the pythagorean theorem)

I'm not sure what formulas to use here. I'm pretty sure I need to break it down into x and y components though

What is the concept of "Boat Crossing the river"?

The concept of "Boat Crossing the river" is a problem-solving scenario that involves moving objects or people from one side of a river to the other side using a boat.

What are the factors that affect the success of a boat crossing?

The success of a boat crossing is affected by various factors such as the speed and direction of the river's current, the strength and skill of the person rowing the boat, the weight and balance of the objects or people in the boat, and the shape and size of the boat itself.

How can we improve the efficiency of a boat crossing?

To improve the efficiency of a boat crossing, we can use a larger boat with a flat bottom, which can carry more weight and provide more stability in the water. We can also use oars or paddles with a larger surface area to increase the force applied to the water and move the boat faster.

What are some challenges faced during a boat crossing?

Some challenges faced during a boat crossing include navigating through rough or turbulent waters, avoiding obstacles such as rocks or logs, maintaining balance and stability in the boat, and coordinating the movements of multiple passengers or objects in the boat.

What are some real-world applications of the concept of "Boat Crossing the river"?

The concept of "Boat Crossing the river" has many real-world applications, such as transportation and trade across rivers, rescue operations during floods or natural disasters, and recreational activities such as boating and fishing. It is also used in various engineering and mathematical problems as a basis for understanding concepts such as motion, force, and balance.