How to calculate the Doppler Shift Frequency

In summary, the frequency of a signal received from a spaceship traveling at 85% the speed of light away from Earth would be calculated using the equation: ##f_o=f_s \sqrt{\frac{1+v}{1-v}}##.
mpolo
I would like to know the formula for calculating the Doppler shifted frequency received by someone on Earth that is received from a spaceship traveling at 85 percent the speed of light away from Earth. Please show example of the formula being used. Let's say the spacecraft sent a radio signal from the ship at 100 MHZ what would the received frequency of that signal be on earth?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried googling for "relativistic Doppler shift"?

PeroK said:
Have you tried googling for "relativistic Doppler shift"?
Yes I have looked but I would like to see someone actually do it with real numbers and a bit of explanation I am curious as to how the time dilation works in the scheme of things. In other words what would it look like if I were in a spaceship traveling at 99% the speed of light towards a group of stars. Would the light of the stars be blue shifted? If so, by how much?

Last edited:
mpolo said:
Yes I have looked but I would like to see someone actually do it with real numbers and a bit of explanation I am curious as to how the time dilation works in the scheme of things. In other words what would it look like if I were in a spaceship traveling at 99% the speed of light towards a group of stars. Would the light of the stars be blue shifted? If so, by how much?

The equation is:

##f_o = f_s \sqrt{\frac{1+v}{1-v}}##

Where ##f_o=## is the observed frequency, ##f_s## the frequency of the source and ##v## is the speed expressed as a fraction of the speed of light. E.g. ##v = -0.85## or ##v = 0.99## in the two examples you wanted. If ##v## is positive then motion of the source is towards the observer and if ##v## is negative then motion of the source is away from the observer.

You could put that formula into a calculator or spreadsheet and plug away!

Oh Man, Thanks this is perfect thanks so much! This is exactly what I was looking for! Going to have fun putting this is to a program and trying different values.

Related to How to calculate the Doppler Shift Frequency

1. What is the Doppler Shift Frequency?

The Doppler Shift Frequency is the change in frequency of a wave as it is observed from a moving source or observer. It is caused by the relative motion between the source and observer, and it can result in a shift towards higher or lower frequencies.

2. How do I calculate the Doppler Shift Frequency?

The formula for calculating the Doppler Shift Frequency is:
Δf = f * (v/c)
where Δf is the change in frequency, f is the original frequency, v is the velocity of the source or observer, and c is the speed of the wave (usually the speed of light).

3. What units should I use for the velocity and speed of the wave in the formula?

The velocity and speed of the wave should be in the same units (e.g. meters per second, kilometers per hour) for the formula to work properly. It is important to use consistent units for accurate calculations.

4. Can the Doppler Shift Frequency be negative?

Yes, the Doppler Shift Frequency can be negative. This means that the observed frequency is lower than the original frequency, and it occurs when the source and observer are moving away from each other. A positive Doppler Shift Frequency occurs when the source and observer are moving towards each other.

5. How is the Doppler Shift Frequency used in real life?

The Doppler Shift Frequency has many practical applications, such as in radar and sonar systems, where it is used to measure the speed and direction of moving objects. It is also used in astronomy to study the motion of stars and galaxies, and in medical imaging to detect blood flow and measure heart rate.