How to Express Function f in Terms of Complex Variable z?

• Thread starter SALAAH_BEDDIAF
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Terms
In summary, to express f in terms of z, we can use the expressions x = (z + \bar{z})/2 and y = (z - \bar{z})/(2i) to rewrite the numerator, and then use the Pythagorean theorem and lurflurf's hint to simplify the denominator. The resulting expression for f(z) is (z - 1)/(z\bar{z}).
SALAAH_BEDDIAF
Let [tex]f(x+iy) = \frac{x-1-iy}{(x-1)^2+y^2}[/tex]

first of all it asks me to show that f satisfies the Cauchy-Riemann equation which I am able to do by seperating into real and imaginary [itex]u + iv : u(x,y),v(x,y)[/itex] and then partially differentiating wrt x and y and just show that [itex] \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial v}{\partial y} , \frac{\partial u}{\partial y} = -\frac{\partial v}{\partial x} [/itex] and then it asks to express f in terms of z i.e f(z) =...

I have no idea where to begin with this

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi SALAAH_BEDDIAF! :smile:
SALAAH_BEDDIAF said:
… express f in terms of z i.e f(z) =...

Well, the top is obviously ##\bar{z} - 1## …

what do you think the bottom might be? :wink:

write x and y in terms of z and its conjugate, then simplify

$$x=\frac{z+\bar{z}}{2}\\y=\frac{z-\bar{z}}{2 \imath}$$

To start, you definitely want to express it in terms of [itex]z[/itex] and [itex]\bar z[/itex].

You can use lurflurf's hint and do it mechanically.

If you want something slightly cleaner...
- Use tiny-tim's hint for the numerator.
- Expand the denominator, and use [itex]x^2+y^2 = |z|^2[/itex] (Pythagoras), which can itself be expressed cleanly as [itex]z\bar z[/itex].
- On what's left (cleaner than before), use lurflurf's hint.

Likes 1 person
question, as it is not specified what z represents. If z is a complex number, then f(z) can be expressed as f(z) = \frac{z-1}{(z-1)^2+1}. However, if z represents a real variable, then f(z) cannot be expressed in terms of z as it is a function of complex variables. It is important to have more context and information in order to accurately express f in terms of z.

Related to How to Express Function f in Terms of Complex Variable z?

1. What does it mean to "express f in terms of z"?

Expressing f in terms of z means rewriting a mathematical function f in a way that only uses the variable z. This allows for simpler calculations and easier understanding of the relationship between f and z.

2. Why is it important to express f in terms of z?

Expressing f in terms of z is important because it can simplify complex mathematical functions and make them easier to analyze and understand. It also allows for easier integration and differentiation of the function.

3. How do you express f in terms of z?

To express f in terms of z, you must rearrange the equation to isolate the variable z on one side. This may involve using mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

4. Can any function be expressed in terms of z?

No, not all functions can be expressed in terms of z. Some functions may have multiple variables or may not be possible to isolate the variable z. In these cases, it may be necessary to use other mathematical techniques to analyze the function.

5. How is expressing f in terms of z useful in real-world applications?

Expressing f in terms of z is useful in many real-world applications, such as engineering, physics, and economics. It allows for easier analysis and understanding of complex systems, making it easier to make predictions and solve problems.