How to find height in Projectile Motion?

In summary, the conversation is about projectile motion and the person is seeking help to understand it better. They have given an initial velocity of 23.2 miles/hour and are looking for the height and distance traveled. Different methods are suggested and it is emphasized to use the same unit system for accurate calculations. The final result is that the object reaches a height of 46.89 km in 96.84 seconds.
SHENGTON
Hello guys!

I need your help regarding Projectile Motion because I kinda novice here. I don't know where to start.

These are the following given:
Vi = 23.2 miles/hour
h = ?
x = 1 km

Here's the situation it looks like, check this image that I created for you to understand.

ProjectTile.jpg

Hope someone can help me with this.

Thanks and God bless. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
For a start you'd need to have an angle of projection, and convert all figures into the same system. The diagram isn't over clear to me, as it seems your plane is pointing away from the projection (but it is early here)

Unit are not the same here!
You need to find time.
Use these formulae you can get the answer. Don't forget to change same unit here. SI and British Unit!
t=x/Vi
h=0.5gt^2

remember that the velocity in x direction is constant then you can use the x component velocity to find time by D=VT then solve for height in y direction

Like seto6 said, the acceleration in X is 0. You can find the time that you will need to resolv the Y equation.

Actually, All of us(seto6, proculation and inky) method are the same.
v[0x]=v[x]=v
v[0y]=0

t=x/v=1/(23.2*1.6)=0.0269 hr=96.84 s
h=y=v[0y]t+0.5gt[2]=0+0.5(10)(96.84^2)=46890m=46.89 km

Last edited:

Related to How to find height in Projectile Motion?

1. How do I calculate the height of a projectile?

To calculate the height of a projectile, you will need to use the formula h = y0 + vy0t - (1/2)gt^2, where h is the height, y0 is the initial height, vy0 is the initial velocity in the y-direction, t is the time, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). Plug in the known values and solve for h.

2. Can you find the height of a projectile without knowing the initial height?

Yes, you can find the height of a projectile without knowing the initial height by using the formula h = (vy0)^2/2g. This formula only requires the initial velocity in the y-direction and the acceleration due to gravity.

3. How does the angle of launch affect the height of a projectile?

The angle of launch affects the height of a projectile by changing the initial velocity in the y-direction. The higher the angle, the higher the initial velocity in the y-direction, resulting in a higher peak height. However, if the angle is too high, the projectile may not reach its maximum height before falling back down.

4. What is the maximum height a projectile can reach?

The maximum height a projectile can reach is determined by the initial velocity in the y-direction and the acceleration due to gravity. It is calculated using the formula h = (vy0)^2/2g. The maximum height is achieved when the vertical component of the initial velocity becomes zero.

5. Does air resistance affect the height of a projectile?

Yes, air resistance can affect the height of a projectile. In real-world situations, air resistance can cause a decrease in the height of a projectile due to the opposing force acting on it. However, in ideal conditions with no air resistance, the calculated height would remain the same.