How to find the best MCNP manuals?

• Thread starter ms.shafeie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mcnp
In summary, MCNP6 is a combination of the functionality of MCNP5 and MCNPX, but the exact differences between the three are not readily available. The best place to find information on how to use MCNP is on the LANL website, as the most recent version is export controlled and included in the installation. The documentation file can be found in the MCNP_DOCS/MCNP6_REFS directory.
ms.shafeie
I'm trying to learn MCNP and need some training manuals to get it completely.
please introduce the best ones.
and tell me what are differences between MCNP4X,MCNPX,MCNP5 and MCNP6

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hey there,

I'm not sure if you are still having problems with this, but I might have a bit of insight here. MCNP6 is a combination of the functionality 5 and x. I don't have the exact definition of what makes those unique off the top of my head though.

The best place to get info on how to use mcnp is actually right from LANL. While you may be able to find the "primer" online, it is likely for the past software editions. The most recent one is export controlled, but fortunately get's loaded onto your computer with installation. Dig around your MCNP file. I guarantee it will be worth it.

The exact location of the documentation file in your installation directory is MCNP_DOCS/MCNP6_REFS/la-cp-13-00634.pdf

Hope this helps.

Related to How to find the best MCNP manuals?

1. How do I know which MCNP manual is the best for my needs?

The best MCNP manual for your needs will depend on your level of experience with the software and your specific application. It is recommended to start with the MCNP Primer, which provides a comprehensive introduction to the software. From there, you can consult the other manuals for more specific guidance.

2. Are there any free MCNP manuals available?

Yes, there are several free MCNP manuals available online. The MCNP Primer, as well as the MCNPX User's Manual and MCNPX Primer, can be downloaded from the Los Alamos National Laboratory website. Additionally, many universities and research institutions have made their own MCNP manuals available online for free.

3. Should I purchase a physical copy or an electronic copy of the MCNP manual?

This is a matter of personal preference. Both physical and electronic copies of the MCNP manual are available for purchase. However, keep in mind that electronic copies may be more convenient for searching and referencing specific topics.

4. How often are MCNP manuals updated?

MCNP manuals are typically updated every few years, with new versions and revisions being released by Los Alamos National Laboratory. It is important to check the publication date of the manual you are using to ensure you have the most up-to-date information.

5. Can I use older versions of the MCNP manual with the latest version of the software?

In general, it is recommended to use the MCNP manual that corresponds to the version of the software you are using. However, many of the basic principles and techniques outlined in older versions of the manual are still applicable to the latest version of MCNP. It is always best to consult the most recent version of the manual for the most accurate and up-to-date information.