How to get a # out of moment of the parallel axis theorm

In summary, four masses shown in figure 12.14 (Knight 12.14) are connected by massless, rigid rods. The coordinate of the center of mass can be found by setting the x-y axis at A and using X-bar=(200g(10cm)+200(10))/700g=(40/7)cm=5.7cm, Y-Bar=5.7cm. The moment of inertia about a diagonal mass that passed through B and D can be calculated using I=[/cm]+M[d[/2] where M is the sum of the masses.
pinkfishegg
The question is : four masses shown in figure 12.14 (Knight 12.14) are connected by massless, rigid rods. (see attached fig)
A) find the coordinates of the center of mass
B) find the moment of inertia about a diagonal mass that passed through B and D
so I got part a right by setting the x-y axis at A and using
X-bar=(200g(10cm)+200(10))/700g=(40/7)cm=5.7cm
Y-Bar=5.7cm

I'm unsure how to do part B
I can use the parallel axis theorum

I=[/cm]+M[d[/2]
but I'm unsure how to use the MD^2 part. M i just the sum of all the masses right? D would (√x^2+y^2)^2 which is just x^2 plus y^2. But they're askng for a number for moment of inertia and i don't know which point they are looking at on the diagonal rod. What am i missing here?

Attachments

• fig 12.14.png
    fig 12.14.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 353
Physics news on Phys.org
pinkfishegg said:
I can use the parallel axis theorum
You could, but this is much easier if you just apply the usual formula for the moment of inertia. You know the axis and you can calculate the distances to this axis.
pinkfishegg said:
and i don't know which point they are looking at on the diagonal rod.
I think the diagonal rod is the axis? The phrasing of the problem statement is a bit odd.

mfb said:
You could, but this is much easier if you just apply the usual formula for the moment of inertia. You know the axis and you can calculate the distances to this axis.
I think the diagonal rod is the axis? The phrasing of the problem statement is a bit odd.
Yeah the diagonal rod is the axis and the center of mass is at (5.7 cm , 5.7 cm)
What confused me is which part of the axis i start using the moment of inertia formula from.
It's Icm=∑Mr^2. So M is just the sum of the masses. Is r the distance from the axis to the center of mass then?this changes depending on your position. so i guess you make an integral but then what can you plug into the integral?

M are the individual masses, not their sum (because the sum sign is running over all masses).
pinkfishegg said:
Is r the distance from the axis to the center of mass then?
It is the distance from the axis to the individual masses. It will be different for each mass.
There is nothing to integrate. You are overthinking this, the solution can be written down in a single line.

mfb said:
M are the individual masses, not their sum (because the sum sign is running over all masses).It is the distance from the axis to the individual masses. It will be different for each mass.
There is nothing to integrate. You are overthinking this, the solution can be written down in a single line.

Wait can i just pick any point on the axis and plug in

I=sum(MD^2)

No you cannot pick a point. You have to calculate the distance to the axis. This is defined as the distance to the closest point (which you can find).

mfb said:
No you cannot pick a point. You have to calculate the distance to the axis. This is defined as the distance to the closest point (which you can find).

Oh i see so the closest distance to points B and D is just 0 because the line is on both B and D. The closest point to points A and C would be in the center of the diagonal (x=5 cm y=5cm+ and the distance to the other points would be (sqrt (5-0)cm+(5-0)cm)^2 and (sqrt (10-5)cm+(10-5)cm)^2 = sqrt(50)cm=2sqrt(5cm) in both cases?

I think the square root got misplaced. Apart from that, right.

mfb said:
I think the square root got misplaced. Apart from that, right.
oh i see yeah i completely over-complicated this thanks.

Related to How to get a # out of moment of the parallel axis theorm

1. What is the moment of the parallel axis theorem?

The moment of the parallel axis theorem is a mathematical formula used to calculate the moment of inertia of a rigid body about an axis that is parallel to the body's center of mass. It states that the moment of inertia about a parallel axis is equal to the moment of inertia about the body's center of mass plus the product of the mass of the body and the square of the distance between the two parallel axes.

2. How do I calculate the moment of inertia using the parallel axis theorem?

To calculate the moment of inertia using the parallel axis theorem, you will need to know the moment of inertia of the body about its center of mass and the distance between the center of mass and the parallel axis. You can then use the formula I = Icm + md^2, where I is the moment of inertia about the parallel axis, Icm is the moment of inertia about the center of mass, m is the mass of the body, and d is the distance between the two axes.

3. What is the significance of the parallel axis theorem?

The parallel axis theorem is significant because it allows us to calculate the moment of inertia of a body about any parallel axis, without having to go through complex calculations. This makes it a useful tool in many fields of physics and engineering, including mechanics, robotics, and aerospace.

4. Can the parallel axis theorem be used for any shape or object?

Yes, the parallel axis theorem can be used for any shape or object, as long as the moment of inertia about the center of mass is known. This makes it a versatile formula that can be applied to a wide range of problems and situations.

5. What are some real-life applications of the parallel axis theorem?

The parallel axis theorem has many real-life applications, such as in the design and analysis of rotating machines like turbines and motors, the calculation of moments of inertia for aircraft and spacecraft, and in the study of rotational dynamics in sports, such as in the analysis of the spinning motion of a gymnast or a figure skater.