How to Represent Complex Fractions in LaTeX?

In summary: Of course it didn’t, spaces are mostly irrelevant to math mode (for good reason).For integrals, using the physics package might be helpful to some extent. One may use \dd{} from that package, which manages the spacing automatically, and also makes the d upright.
topsquark
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
MHB
TL;DR Summary
Exploring different ways to represent a complex fraction using LaTeX
I know of two reasonable ways to represent a complex fraction:
\dfrac{ \left ( \dfrac{a}{b} \right ) }{ \left ( \dfrac{c}{d} \right ) }
##\dfrac{ \left ( \dfrac{a}{b} \right ) }{ \left ( \dfrac{c}{d} \right ) }##

and
\dfrac{ ^a / _b }{ ^c / _d }
##\dfrac{ ^a / _b }{ ^c / _d }##

What I am wondering is if there is a way to write
##\dfrac{ \dfrac{a}{b} }{ \dfrac{c}{d} }##
by making a longer middle division line?

Thanks!

-Dan

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Dan,

One way to make the middle line longer, is to add latex spaces to numerator or denominator.
For instance:
\dfrac{\;\dfrac ab\;}{\dfrac cd}
##\dfrac{\;\dfrac ab\;}{\dfrac cd}##

• Informative
Likes topsquark and berkeman
I like Serena said:
add latex spaces to numerator or denominator
Sometimes I have to add explicit "~" characters to force spaces in LaTeX, but other times just " " spaces seem to work. I haven't figured out why yet...

Likes topsquark
berkeman said:
Sometimes I have to add explicit "~" characters to force spaces in LaTeX, but other times just " " spaces seem to work. I haven't figured out why yet...
Can you give some examples?

berkeman said:
Regular spaces are generally used as separator. For instance in \dfrac ab the space is not an actual space, but instead it's a separator. That separator only "becomes" a space, if that is needed to separate both sides. In that case multiple spaces are collapsed to a single space.
If we actually "want" a space where that is not already natural, we have to use one of the latex spaces like:
\! \, \: \; \quad \qquad, which are increasingly wide spaces. The first one is a negative space. The "~" is special in that it creates a non-breaking space, so that it won't "wrap".

• Informative
Likes Orodruin, berkeman and topsquark
Orodruin said:
Can you give some examples?
Just a quick example:
$$v(t) = L \frac{di(t)}{dt}$$
$$v(t) = L~\frac{di(t)}{dt}$$
1662414182567.png

The classical example is an integral: $$\int f(x,y) dx dy$$
Often \, is inserted (despite already having spaces) before the infinitesimals to get a more natural formula:$$\int f(x,y)\,dx\,dy$$
A "~" also works of course.

Likes pbuk and topsquark
berkeman said:
Just a quick example:
$$v(t) = L \frac{di(t)}{dt}$$
$$v(t) = L~\frac{di(t)}{dt}$$
View attachment 313827
I meant examples of where you would expect a space but there was none.

I like Serena said:
A "~" also works of course.
Compare the following:
$$
\int f(x,y)~dx~dy \qquad \int f(x,y)\,dx\,dy
$$
The non-breaking space ~ is a regular sized space (it is equivalent in size to the regular \ ) as compared to \, which is 3 mu. The latter is typically what you want. The non-breaking space ~ should be used when you have a space where you do not wish to create a (line or page) break. In an equation it is essentially equivalent to the regular space "\ " (which has its own uses in text as well, such as not creating a too large space after an abbreviation, i.e., LaTeX will interpret "cf. last chapter" as there being an end of sentence after cf. whereas "cf.\ last chapter" will not).

Likes I like Serena and topsquark
Orodruin said:
I meant examples of where you would expect a space but there was none.
In the first LaTeX line, I put a " " space after the L, but it did not render. It took the explicit "~"space after the L to get it to render.

berkeman said:
In the first LaTeX line, I put a " " space after the L, but it did not render. It took the explicit "~"space after the L to get it to render.
Of course it didn’t, spaces are mostly irrelevant to math mode (for good reason).

For integrals, using the physics package might be helpful to some extent. One may use \dd{} from that package, which manages the spacing automatically, and also makes the d upright.
$$\require{physics}
\int f(x,y) \dd{x} \dd{y}$$

Likes topsquark

1. What is a complex fraction in LaTeX?

A complex fraction in LaTeX is a mathematical expression that contains fractions within fractions. It is commonly used to represent a division of two polynomials or rational expressions.

2. How do I create a complex fraction in LaTeX?

To create a complex fraction in LaTeX, you can use the \frac{}{} command. The first set of curly braces will contain the numerator and the second set will contain the denominator. For example, \frac{3x+4}{2x-1} will create a complex fraction with 3x+4 as the numerator and 2x-1 as the denominator.

3. Can I use parentheses in a complex fraction in LaTeX?

Yes, you can use parentheses in a complex fraction in LaTeX to indicate the order of operations. For example, \frac{(2x+1)(x-3)}{x^2-16} will create a complex fraction with (2x+1)(x-3) as the numerator and x^2-16 as the denominator.

4. How do I simplify a complex fraction in LaTeX?

To simplify a complex fraction in LaTeX, you can use the \cancel{} and \cdot commands. First, use \cancel{} to cross out any common factors in the numerator and denominator. Then, use \cdot to multiply any remaining factors in the numerator and denominator. For example, \frac{2x\cancel{(x+1)}}{\cancel{(x+1)}(x-3)} will simplify to \frac{2x}{x-3}.

5. Are there any other commands or packages that can help with complex fractions in LaTeX?

Yes, there are a few other commands and packages that can help with complex fractions in LaTeX. The \dfrac{}{} command can be used to create a larger fraction, and the amsmath package provides the \cfrac{}{} command to create a continued fraction. You can also use the cancel package for more complex simplifications.