How to Solve for Boat Velocity Relative to River

In summary, Daniel is trying to find the velocity of a boat moving southeast at 0.380 m/s relative to the river and the river is flowing east at 0.460 m/s relative to the earth. He needs to find the x and y components of the velocity of the boat relative to the river. He can solve for x and y separately and get x=0.08 and y=0.266.
Spyder1121
Help Please!

I've been working on this problem for 3 hours atleast now. I just need to know how to work it. The problem has a boat moving southeast at 0.380 m/s relative to the earth, and the river is flowing east at 0.460 m/s relative to the earth. I need to know how to get the veloctiy of the boat relative to the river. Any help is much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
i know that, but that answer would not work on 'mastering physics'

Being given (or having obtained) the components along mutually ortonormal axis,u can compute the modulus by using Pythgora's theorem...

I think the (stupid) computer wouldn't mind...I hope,for your sake... :wink:

Daniel.

i know. but here's what I've done.. V of the canoe to the river = V of the canoe to the Earth - V of the Earth to the river. so using my numbers I have : V= 0.380-0.460 and I get an answer of -0.08, but the question just wants the magnitude so i would use 0.08, but that doesn't work. can you tell me what I'm doing wrong?

i've tried that as well. I have the second part of the question. It asks for me to find the direction of the velocity of the canoe relative to the river.
Express your answer as an angle measured south of west.
and that answer is 54.6 degrees

yes I've done that as well and I get the answer to be .266 m/s correct? This answer did not work as well.

but when I do the arctan of .38/.46 i don't get 54.6 which I know is the correct answer for part 2

okay i have all of the numbers... now what do I do with them to find the V of the boat in respect to the river??

[tex]\vec{V}_\textrm{(boat/earth)} = \vec{V}_\textrm{(boat/river)} + \vec{V}_\textrm{(river/earth)}[/tex]
Solve for x & y (east and north) components separately.

Related to How to Solve for Boat Velocity Relative to River

1. What is boat velocity?

Boat velocity, also known as boat speed, is the rate at which a boat is moving through the water. It is usually measured in knots or miles per hour.

2. How is boat velocity calculated?

Boat velocity can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. This can also be affected by factors such as wind speed and current.

3. What factors affect boat velocity?

Several factors can affect boat velocity, including the size and shape of the boat, the weight and distribution of the load, wind speed and direction, and water conditions such as waves and currents.

4. How can boat velocity be increased?

In order to increase boat velocity, you can adjust the angle of the boat's sails to catch more wind, lighten the load on the boat, or use a more efficient propulsion system such as a motor or oars.

5. Why is boat velocity important?

Boat velocity is important because it affects the efficiency and performance of the boat. A higher velocity can result in faster travel times, while a lower velocity may require more energy and time to reach a destination.