Hydrogen bonding and Oxygen electron count ? (how)

In summary, the water molecule has two hydrogen atoms with one electron each and one oxygen atom with eight electrons. The hydrogen bonds between the molecules form a tetrahedral shape and the outermost oxygen atom in the tetrahedral shape doesn't participate in the hydrogen bonding.
karen_lorr
Sorry to butt in on your form.

Please can someone help me with this – I’m sure it’s simple to those who know but I have been thinking about these 2 problems for ages (and reading up on every website I can find) and still no answer. I am trying to get a basic understanding of this and seem to be getting nowhere

1st
Water Molecules = 2 hydrogen atoms with 1 electron each. Plus 1 Oxygen atom with 8 electrons (with the 8 electrons being put – for want of a better word, into 4 pairs ;-). 2 of these pairs will form covalent bonds between the H and the O. 1 pair will be the Lone pair (to bond with another H in a dimer) and the other pair doesn’t bond. Is that right ??

If it is right how does the hydrogen bond take place been each molecule to form a Tetrahedral shape (you'd need 4 pairs and you only have 3 ??)– is there just 1 electron needed for a hydrogen bond and 2 for a covalent bond ?? If it’s 2 where do the other 2 come from ??

2nd (this may be a silly question but I have thinking about this for a long time ;-)
If the angle (of the hydrogen bond) is 104.5degrees, how can 6 molecules form a hexagon with 720 degrees ??

Thanks for your time in reading my (hopefully simple to you) questions.

Physics news on Phys.org
karen_lorr said:
Water Molecules = 2 hydrogen atoms with 1 electron each. Plus 1 Oxygen atom with 8 electrons (with the 8 electrons being put – for want of a better word, into 4 pairs ;-). 2 of these pairs will form covalent bonds between the H and the O. 1 pair will be the Lone pair (to bond with another H in a dimer) and the other pair doesn’t bond. Is that right ??

The standard water monomer has TWO lone pairs of electrons, not one. Moreover, the bonding angles are not rigid, they flex (libration). For a very readable discourse on water structures try: Martin Chapin: Water Structures: Introduction;
http://www.lsbu.ac.uk/water/intro.html His bibliography is worth a visit all by itself.

klimatos said:
The standard water monomer has TWO lone pairs of electrons, not one. http://www.lsbu.ac.uk/water/intro.html His bibliography is worth a visit all by itself.

But I am reading a book (by David Lind) that says (page 31) that "of the oxygen electrons, 2 electrons compose an inside shell and do not react with other electrons of other atoms ", so only six electrons form the form bonds.
Now I'm lost ;-(
Oh, I "may" have it.
Do only 2 electrons from the O form the covalent bond (1 for each ?) with the H and this would leave 4 more (2 pairs) to form the hydrogen bonds with other molicules to make the Tetrahedral shape which need the O to be "linked" to 4 H

Sorry to ask this but to my 52 year old mind this is all a little ... well let's just say I am having fun learning

klimatos said:
Moreover, the bonding angles are not rigid, they flex (libration).
But 6 X 104.5 = 627 which must leave a "lot" of flex to make a hexagon of 720 degrees (over 15 per angle)

Last edited:
the inner shell electrons (or inside shell) do not play any part in any interactions.

and while there are 4 electrons to form 2 lone paired electrons (not sure how you got 3), this is not how hydrogen bonding arises. you may have been thinking of lone pair donation instead.

Hydrogen bonding is the attractive interaction of a hydrogen atom with an electronegative atom (like nitrogen, oxygen or fluorine) that comes from another molecule or chemical group.
You may want to read this for more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_bond#Hydrogen_bonds_in_water

also, the hexagon is not a flat plane hexagon, but 3 dimension. that's how the angles are accommodated.

Bloodthunder said:
the inner shell electrons (or inside shell) do not play any part in any interactions.

and while there are 4 electrons to form 2 lone paired electrons (not sure how you got 3), this is not how hydrogen bonding arises. you may have been thinking of lone pair donation instead.

Hydrogen bonding is the attractive interaction of a hydrogen atom with an electronegative atom (like nitrogen, oxygen or fluorine) that comes from another molecule or chemical group.
You may want to read this for more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_bond#Hydrogen_bonds_in_water

also, the hexagon is not a flat plane hexagon, but 3 dimension. that's how the angles are accommodated.

Thank for that - I have just read it and it is a wonderful link that I had not found. Thanks

But (sorry about this, I'll go away soon ;-)
O has 8 electrons
2 don't interreact with other atoms
4 form lone pairs
this leave 2 - does this mean that the bond between the O and the H (in the H2O molicule) needs only 1 electron for each bond ??
Also I thought Hydrogen was electronegative and O was electropositive ?

Last edited:
haha, no worries, just ask away.

both hydrogen and oxygen are non-metals. so what they will form is a covalent bond between them, which is very basically the sharing of electrons between the O and H atoms. so there isn't any negative or positive to speak of (yet, as later there would be partial positive and partial negative when talking of H-bonding).

also, electronegative and electropositive talking about something else. (related, but not quite)

so in the case of water, it would be:
H
\
O __H

where each line represents 2 electrons between the atoms.

you can also have others, like

O=O

where 4 electrons are shared between 2 oxygen atoms

and more links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Covalent_bond
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dipole–dipole_attraction
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronegativity

karen_lorr said:
Oh, I "may" have it.
Do only 2 electrons from the O form the covalent bond (1 for each ?) with the H and this would leave 4 more (2 pairs) to form the hydrogen bonds with other molicules to make the Tetrahedral shape which need the O to be "linked" to 4 H

Sorry to ask this but to my 52 year old mind this is all a little ... well let's just say I am having fun learning

But 6 X 104.5 = 627 which must leave a "lot" of flex to make a hexagon of 720 degrees (over 15 per angle)

Bingo! You've got it! The two hydrogen electrons complete the ring.

My mind is over 80 years old, and I'm still having fun learning.

Water structures are not planar. They are three-dimensional. Therefore you cannot project the true angles onto a plane. You can think of tetrahedrons and icosahedrons as tiny "bucky" balls. Chapin has some excellent illustrations on his web site, some of them animated.

Just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone for your help.

I have just bought this book on physics and I really want to be able to understand it - so I may be back for more clarification, hope you don't mind.:smile:

So thanks to everyone

Bloodthunder said:
water doesn't have a tetrahedral shape, but a bent shape.

klimatos said:
The standard water monomer has TWO lone pairs of electrons, not one. Moreover, the bonding angles are not rigid, they flex (libration).

Thank you both for your advice. As a result of this advice, and a private message from ### (I don't know if I'm allowed to say the name - don't want to be shouted at by the forum moderators, again , I have now change my study to include this text and graphic (the picture took my "a long time to draw")

Thank you all again for your expert advice.

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=907ebf936638ce55&sc=documents&id=907EBF936638CE55%21108#cid=907EBF936638CE55&id=907EBF936638CE55%21115&sc=documents

Notes regarding the angles of molecular bonds in an ice (Ih) lattice.
Almost all graphics (including mine) displaying H2O molecules will show a standard hexagon shape Fig.12; with an angle 120o between each molecule, this is a downwards view. In reality the bonds are warped; with internal angles of 109.5o Fig.13 & Fig.14. This warped formation allows molecules to bond with others to form complex sturdy lattices Fig15.

Related to Hydrogen bonding and Oxygen electron count ? (how)

1. What is a hydrogen bond?

A hydrogen bond is a type of chemical bond that occurs between a hydrogen atom and an electronegative atom (such as oxygen or nitrogen) in a molecule. It is a relatively weak bond, but plays an important role in the structure and properties of many substances, including water and DNA.

2. How does a hydrogen bond form?

A hydrogen bond forms when a hydrogen atom, which has a slightly positive charge due to its low electron count, is attracted to a highly electronegative atom. The attractive force between the two atoms results in a bond that is stronger than a typical dipole-dipole interaction, but weaker than a covalent bond.

3. How does the electron count of oxygen contribute to hydrogen bonding?

Oxygen has six electrons in its outermost energy level, which allows it to form two covalent bonds and have two lone pairs of electrons. This makes oxygen highly electronegative and able to attract hydrogen atoms in a hydrogen bond. The electron count of oxygen also contributes to the polarity of the molecule, making it more likely to form hydrogen bonds with other polar molecules.

4. How does hydrogen bonding affect the properties of water?

Hydrogen bonding gives water its unique properties, such as high surface tension, high boiling point, and low vapor pressure. It also contributes to the ability of water to dissolve many substances, as the hydrogen bonds can form with other polar molecules and ions.

5. Can hydrogen bonding occur between any molecules?

No, hydrogen bonding can only occur between molecules that have a hydrogen atom bonded to a highly electronegative atom, such as oxygen, nitrogen, or fluorine. The molecules also need to have a specific orientation in order for the hydrogen bond to form.